• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice im wondering the best way to get subs on youtube

groovy horrror scifi

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Whilst the obvious is making quality content I mist admit it does sometimes feel like walking in the dark wondering whether you're getting to the right place.
I'd try and get some honest feedback from people as to how you could improve .
I get quite a few views on some of my vids & I do get some great responses via Twitter so I feel like I'm doing ok video wise but it's hard to work out exactly why I'm not getting more subs.
There are changes I'm considering but I don't know if it's me jumping the gun or do I display a little patience .

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Whilst the obvious is making quality content I mist admit it does sometimes feel like walking in the dark wondering whether you're getting to the right place.
I'd try and get some honest feedback from people as to how you could improve .
I get quite a few views on some of my vids & I do get some great responses via Twitter so I feel like I'm doing ok video wise but it's hard to work out exactly why I'm not getting more subs.
There are changes I'm considering but I don't know if it's me jumping the gun or do I display a little patience .

Groovy,

One thing I have learned is that some people are more "in tune" than others. Some have a more "agreeable" attitude than others. And some have a more conducive "mindset" than others.

Because you specifically asked for feedback, I will provide some but people should be aware, in a public forum, most people will be more "gentle" because few people want to be "negative" or "super critical". I am not directing that statement to you per se but I know other people will read my response as well.

Generally, I have a positive and optimistic attitude about most people's channels. Yours is no different. I think there are a ton of people that would be interested in your genre. I am not a fan of horror or cult but I am a fan of sci-fi movies.

But for a channel with only 10 videos so far and only launched a couple months ago, I think you are doing great.

I haven't watched your videos but some things I can immediately see. Some things you can easily correct are punctuation, capitalization, & title issues. Go look at them again carefully.

Your thumbnails are readable and not overly wordy which are good things.

However, the one thing that might "intimidate" users are your longer videos. Most of your videos are between 16-20 minutes long. You may want to try a few videos around 8-9 minutes long (so you can get double ads when you monetize) and see if more views come. I tend to think that as a new channel, you have to make it easy for people to try you out. A 20-minute video is a heavy viewer investment to make.

So, instead of doing all "10 facts", you may have to do a few shorter "5 facts" videos to give some viewers a way to try your content out.

But I think you are doing really great after 2 months. You need to give 12 months but I think after a few more months, you will gain more clarity.

I would track the amount of time viewers spend in your videos. If you are get long views, the subscribers will come. Right now, you are a young channel but when they see 30, 40, 50 videos, they will know you are "serious" and more likely to give you a subscribe.

I think any experienced YTuber will tell you subscribers come easier over time. It felt like "forever" to get to 100 subscribers but recently they are coming a bit quicker. But I also care about the views. Success seems to attract more success. If people are tweeting you how much they enjoy your videos, that is a great sign. You may want to invite/train them to leave comments.

2 months in and 43 subscribers? Jeez, I am jealous. I think I might have had 15 subscribers at most after 2 months so you are doing better than me.

I say you keep doing what you are doing and constantly tweak and improve. Your genre is huge and you need to give it a few more months before being too hard on yourself.

groovy horrror scifi

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Groovy,

One thing I have learned is that some people are more "in tune" than others. Some have a more "agreeable" attitude than others. And some have a more conducive "mindset" than others.

Because you specifically asked for feedback, I will provide some but people should be aware, in a public forum, most people will be more "gentle" because few people want to be "negative" or "super critical". I am not directing that statement to you per se but I know other people will read my response as well.

Generally, I have a positive and optimistic attitude about most people's channels. Yours is no different. I think there are a ton of people that would be interested in your genre. I am not a fan of horror or cult but I am a fan of sci-fi movies.

But for a channel with only 10 videos so far and only launched a couple months ago, I think you are doing great.

I haven't watched your videos but some things I can immediately see. Some things you can easily correct are punctuation, capitalization, & title issues. Go look at them again carefully.

Your thumbnails are readable and not overly wordy which are good things.

However, the one thing that might "intimidate" users are your longer videos. Most of your videos are between 16-20 minutes long. You may want to try a few videos around 8-9 minutes long (so you can get double ads when you monetize) and see if more views come. I tend to think that as a new channel, you have to make it easy for people to try you out. A 20-minute video is a heavy viewer investment to make.

So, instead of doing all "10 facts", you may have to do a few shorter "5 facts" videos to give some viewers a way to try your content out.

But I think you are doing really great after 2 months. You need to give 12 months but I think after a few more months, you will gain more clarity.

I would track the amount of time viewers spend in your videos. If you are get long views, the subscribers will come. Right now, you are a young channel but when they see 30, 40, 50 videos, they will know you are "serious" and more likely to give you a subscribe.

I think any experienced YTuber will tell you subscribers come easier over time. It felt like "forever" to get to 100 subscribers but recently they are coming a bit quicker. But I also care about the views. Success seems to attract more success. If people are tweeting you how much they enjoy your videos, that is a great sign. You may want to invite/train them to leave comments.

2 months in and 43 subscribers? Jeez, I am jealous. I think I might have had 15 subscribers at most after 2 months so you are doing better than me.

I say you keep doing what you are doing and constantly tweak and improve. Your genre is huge and you need to give it a few more months before being too hard on yourself.

Wow thankyou Mattcommand1
You make some very valid points and I really do appreciate the time you took to give some constructive criticism.

I agree with your comments about the long videos . Some I even cut down and still couldn't get them under 20mins which is daunting for the type of videos I do, I gave myself the task of doing 10 facts as I felt it guided me (I'd done one in the past with just one long narration . it needed chapters I felt so ten became the go to allowance) I think I'm going to take your advice and do maybe 7 or 8 facts or even change it per video.

I will have a look at the titles and here's hoping we can both make something out of it and enjoy the process along the way.
Thank you once again.

Reactions: MattCommand1

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I have found that YouTube is mostly for the clowns and foolish type personality.

Just a side comment to this statement. Because I have been exposed to so many different channels that succeed despite my personal biases, interests, and inclinations, I don't like to make generalized statements of "what kinds of people are on YT or for YT". We are drawn to or react differently to different content.

In my tiny corner of the YT universe, everyone is business-like and serious. But that is a reflection of my own preferences. Having been here on the TB forum, my mind has been stretched of the possibilities. I've learned some neat ideas and concepts from two successful fishing Ytubers despite the fact, I am generally not interested in fishing.

So, what I am saying is that what we see is not always so. I respect MrBeast and he is one of the most popular creators on YT but I have not yet seen one video from beginning to end because his videos are my style or interest. I know he did a big video recently on a Korean show on Netflix (forgot the name) but had no interest in the topic but it is a massive hit with zillions of views.

There are all kinds of creators and viewers on YT. We all have our own corners we view from.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Well I am now 78 Yrs old. Living in NYC all my life and working for the Edison public utility company in the 60'and 70'. Most for my work was for the many circus and side-show like Hollywood and silver cup studio in long island city. I can tell you America was made great by circus, hollywood, nudity and drama stage seen. I work with a company that provided the lighting and motoring works for the shows. After the circus started dying off in the 80's due to many reasons, I became to academic public school teacher and watch the students all fall in love with drugs just to dream about the circus and clown days in they delusion. Today it all gone to drugs and media.

Sir, I respect your view and life experiences. In my business, I've worked on the streets to see and be exposed to certain unfortunate aspects of life and society. 15 years ago, I bought a $5,000 house in Alabama and tried to rent it out for 1-2 years. I saw a side of society I never encountered before. The neighborhood was nothing I was used to. The tenant was ultimately jailed on crack and left us a disaster to clean up. It was then and there I decided, I did not want to engage that segment of society any longer regardless of money.

And yes, there are lots of drugs and other bad stuff going on. I am fortunate enough to be able to avoid all these things. As a school teacher, you cannot. School teachers have it tough and see all kinds of bad stuff. I taught community college for 1 year and I had enough.

All I am saying is that as creators, we have to be open-minded to all sorts of possibilities and views if we want to learn and improve. I don't agree with many things but I still try to listen and look for the benefit.

Reactions: Damon

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Step number 1. Don't BEG. Nothing turns me off to a channel like a channel that constantly begs for Likes and Subs. It is okay to ask politely, but do not beg.

Step 2. Be creative. Here is one thing that I do that no one else I know does. I use lower thirds animations. I paid an animator to create a custom low thirds animation. I changed my branding mark to an archery target, and while my video is playing, a little Robin Hood looking animated archer walks out onto the screen from the lower left side and shoots an arrow across the screen and hits the bullseye of an archery target which is on top of my branding mark. Then a text appears on the screen that says "Hit the Mark" and then says "Subscribe Now". The point of this is that it does not interfere with the content that the viewer came to watch, while at the same time entertaining them and drawing attention to the branding mark that they can click to subscribe.
1642346896813.jpeg

Nothing makes a viewer madder than when you stop the content they came to watch, to take a minute to promote your channel. A lower thirds animation is an old advertising trick I learned from watching soccer games in Mexico in which the game does not stop for 45 minutes and there is no place for commercials to pay for the broadcast. So, they run these lower thirds animations onscreen while the game is going on. If you want to see my animation just watch any of the videos on my channel around the 1-minute mark. I usually throw it in around that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: TangoRomeo87

Prompt Review

TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
I suggest researching keywords and making sure there is a good search volume. Then from there, pay for the basic version of a Google Chrome extension such as VidIQ or TubeBuddy (what I use - under $50 for the year) and then use their Keyword Search Tool to make sure your keywords tags that you use in your video description are ranked. Then after making sure they are ranked, try and rearrange your words in description and keywords to rank for higher keywords (see if you can get them all to be ranked number one). From there, the advice that others have given will take over (make good content and upload shorter videos) but at least you know each video that you make, will show up first in searches because you made them ranked as so. My advice!

Dr_Alan_Science

Known Member
I think following everything in TubeBuddy can give people subscribers...
Originally I thought vidIQ can help better, but later find out tubebuddy can help more.

TangoRomeo87

www.tangoromeo87.com
Subscriber Goal
The best way?

Relax, make videos, improve your videos, improve your audio, fine tune your niche. It's all free time, you are going to school and learning what works and what doesn't work. Try and remember your first video, you were nervous. You felt out of place talking to the camera. You hid somewhere away from other people. Where are you today compared to the person you were when you shot the first frame? Growth continues...

sjs94704

Familiar Member
I also agree that there is always this big push for Gotta have SUBS, Gotta have SUBS, Gotta have SUBS!!! Well, that's great if you end up with say 1 million subscribers! But, if they just blindly Subscribe to your channel and 99.99999% never actuall come back at all to see your content then what good are those 1 million subscribers?

I think that there needs to be some way that we can get away from this big push for subscribers and as many others have said, putting out better content.

Also, are you finding out what your viewers want to see BEFORE you produce your videos?

I myself am just getting started and I NEVER ask for SUBS and I never put any messages on the screen! What I am going for is people to subscribe who really like the content I am offering and are making the consious decision on their own to subscribe because they want to see more! Those are the subscribers who will actually keep coming back to actually look at my future content!

BUT, in my videos I might ask them to LIKE my video if they enjoy what they are getting so far .....