• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Answered Struggling To Understand The Title A/B Split Test

Zanet

TubeBuddy Legend
Ive ran several A/B tests on Thumbnails and that's all good
BUT
Where I should look for potential videos that need a split test on the Title.
Eg in I go to the analytics, do I want old videos with low impressions?

Should they have some traffic in the first place or should I do it to videos that are totally dead getting no traffic and hope the reindexing of the title kickstart it in the YouTube search?

I just can't find any Tubebuddy videos and nearly every tutorial is about the thumbnails

Shelly Saves the Day

Trusted User
TubeBuddy User
Trusted User
shellysavestheday.com
Subscriber Goal
I might take a peek inside of click magnet to also look at the element inspector get some of the words that get clicked on most, then also take a peek at the CTR opportunities report to cherry pick a few of the better performing videos (even if they have poor CTR) and use one of those to start with. I would test with something that is still getting traffic and then only change up the title to something different. @Stanley Orchard has had some good luck with creating a/b tests on titles and he could give you some good insight on the title shift that was able to get him more traffic. (I agree most of the videos that talk about a/b testing do tend to focus on thumbnails as it's easier for people to grasp as a concept right away). You could also take a look at your retention report on the tubebuddy website where you could prioritize some of the videos that people are making it through to see ones that might be a good candidate. You may also want to revisit the video about how to craft a compelling title as a refresher of some ideas for coming up with your title variation. Happy Testing! Let us know how it goes!

Shelly Saves the Day

Trusted User
TubeBuddy User
Trusted User
shellysavestheday.com
Subscriber Goal
I might take a peek inside of click magnet to also look at the element inspector get some of the words that get clicked on most, then also take a peek at the CTR opportunities report to cherry pick a few of the better performing videos (even if they have poor CTR) and use one of those to start with. I would test with something that is still getting traffic and then only change up the title to something different. @Stanley Orchard has had some good luck with creating a/b tests on titles and he could give you some good insight on the title shift that was able to get him more traffic. (I agree most of the videos that talk about a/b testing do tend to focus on thumbnails as it's easier for people to grasp as a concept right away). You could also take a look at your retention report on the tubebuddy website where you could prioritize some of the videos that people are making it through to see ones that might be a good candidate. You may also want to revisit the video about how to craft a compelling title as a refresher of some ideas for coming up with your title variation. Happy Testing! Let us know how it goes!

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
It's hard to tell when and where to test titles versus thumbnails. When I did mine I was in a circumstance where I had a thumbnail I was really confident in, but I was really lacking when it came to a title. I decided to run a test to see just how much of a difference it made between testing a fairly sterile, very SEO-driven title versus a title that was a compelling, curiosity-inducing type title. The latter completely smoked the former. I made sure to include metadata into that compelling title so that it at least assisted my keyword research and it did. But for this video in particular I was aiming for Suggested/Browse traffic with the hopes of landing in Search as a secondary means of traffic (and I nailed it).

So long story short; if you have one element nailed (like the thumbnail) that would be a good time to test titles. Also, if you are just really feeling like that element is not working for you then run a test just to see what happens. The results may shed some interesting light on your audience.

• Love
Reactions: Zanet