• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback After a small bit of feedback for stuggling with gaming thumbnails

The Kitchen Gamer

Making Food from everyday and from Video Games
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
With an upcoming gaming video I'm just wondering what everyone thought since doing thumbnails for baking, cooking etc is easy but gaming I'm having a slightly harder time and just wanted what people thought along with advice.
Bigger is Better.jpg

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
My first thought is "what is this video about?". There's nothing that would tell me what game this video is about. Now, I know that the first thought will be "but the title will have the name and people searching for this game will know what this image means" except that sometimes viewers are not searching for the game and Youtube will present them with the thumbnail of this video and they may not know or realize what the video is off the bat. Even more, you want new viewers that might not know about the game and might be presented with one of your videos because it matches their search history but without knowing what the game is they might not click on it.

Remember, the thumbnail is the first thing viewers see when on Youtube. Make sure to get their attention fast.

Reactions: The Kitchen Gamer
OP
OP
The Kitchen Gamer

The Kitchen Gamer

Making Food from everyday and from Video Games
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
try to make some creative thumbnail its not look good frankly
Okay but it's all good saying it doesn't look good but then how can improvements be made cause what you've said is extremely generic and doesn't provide a way to make it better.

MagicFlyinPotato

Okay but it's all good saying it doesn't look good but then how can improvements be made cause what you've said is extremely generic and doesn't provide a way to make it better.

I would make the Text Bigger or all in Caps so it stands out more and give it a color that POPs. Also try using Complementary Colors (Google Complementary Color Wheel) which can be very helpful when trying to make your Thumbnail stand out more.
Also make sure your text on your Thumb is complementing what your title is, which is why I suggest adding your title to go along with the Thumbnail.
Remember, a lot of people are looking at Thumbnails on their phones, so what looks good big may not be so clear when it is shrunken down.

The problem I have when asking about a Thumbnail is many people whom are not gamers do not get the "Thumbnail". Along with the Thumbnail, put the title of the what your video is going to have (Not on the Thumbnail) but as another source of reference. It's kind of a double edge sword when asking about a Thumbnail if it not within a well known genre.

I have had a few channel reviews and they look at the thumbnail, which is a screenshot from within the game I play and in reference to the video. Yet because they don't know the game they "Don't Get" the thumbnail. If I was playing Fortnight or PUBG then they know it because those are over-popular games that everyone knows or have seen at one point. Now if it was a cooking channel showing food, a tech review showing a phone, or something like that, them most will get what they are being shown. Hope this makes sense.

Also ignore comments like the one above. If they offer no reason or other helpful information, then it's no information at all that they are providing.

Reactions: The Kitchen Gamer