• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review Your Turn! Let's See Who Gives the BEST Reviews!

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
User name: Stanley Orchard
Title of thread: Your Turn! Let's See Who Gives the BEST Reviews!
Self review: The imagery that I use for my Banner and Thumbnails is pretty and representative of the experience that the viewer can expect when they watch one of my videos (which are filmed/edited etc entirely on a Phone... I don't own a computer). That having been said I feel that while my thumbnails are 'pretty' they do not compel users to click on them and I am focusing on creating more captivating titles and thumbnails. I like having the multiple playlists and seasonal content so that there is a vast library of offerings for viewers to come and see. I am not fond of the channel trailer, I feel it was a shoddy throw-together at the beginning of our most recent season and I am excited to put together a new one for our upcoming finale soon.
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxTuX8fRPhXgOGjquW43exw
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/43633/

CyberSorcerer

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
masterfreelancer.online
Subscriber Goal
Ok, I'll be the first since I have already offered in another post to help people on the forum here.

First thing I notice is your social links, in your about tab, Instagram and LinkedIn aren't working correctly. The channel is 5 years old and getting 11k views a month "not bad at all."

Your channel keywords might need a little more help over time but I'm going to assume that it's your average video views that are hurting you there because most videos that show up on your channel keywords are from bigger channels with more average video views per video. Some keywords you're not doing too well such as "fishing at the beach in texas" but you're number one, on your last video, with "fishing mustang island state park" but 1,500 clicks in 9 months? Maybe that could be improved a little.

As for the thumbnails, they look very good and eye-catching. But I think you should get the point across more than you do EVERYTING on a smartphone. From the filming, editing, and thumbnail creation. Maybe state what type of phone you using along with apps you use to help you. Like iPhone 12 and Filmic Pro for example. I say this because it's what I have. LOL.

Other than that very nice and looking good. But being 5 years old and 237 videos, that's only 47 videos a year? Looks like you're another YouTube that had a sabbatical, vacation, etc. It's ok, we ALL have!

Didn't think I would be reviewing your channel but it's a good start I guess. I could go further but the FREE version only gives me 25 searches a day so I used a couple of other means to do some research instead of using my search for today. This is why I have a short review here because I don't want to get into naming names of tools I use that aren't TubeBuddy because just don't look good.

But I'm sure you'll do just fine. LOL

Reactions: KS Moto Cafe
Subscriber Goal
Hi Stanley,
I looked at your channel and i liked the that your a fishing channel and i watched a video. I do like rhe thumbnails the video was interesting. i think if i may say this explain a little bit more about which lake or if not giving that info. More info on what type of fish your after or which species you want to get.

My last thing is your tips are top notch and stuff. I like to see a series on teaching how to fish if no one you know is good at it. If not then explain your methods that would help new comers to fishing or younger people. If your channel is aimed twords all ages.

Overall your channel really is interesting and i defiantly think you got a good start.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Ok, I'll be the first since I have already offered in another post to help people on the forum here.

First thing I notice is your social links, in your about tab, Instagram and LinkedIn aren't working correctly. The channel is 5 years old and getting 11k views a month "not bad at all."

Your channel keywords might need a little more help over time but I'm going to assume that it's your average video views that are hurting you there because most videos that show up on your channel keywords are from bigger channels with more average video views per video. Some keywords you're not doing too well such as "fishing at the beach in texas" but you're number one, on your last video, with "fishing mustang island state park" but 1,500 clicks in 9 months? Maybe that could be improved a little.

As for the thumbnails, they look very good and eye-catching. But I think you should get the point across more than you do EVERYTING on a smartphone. From the filming, editing, and thumbnail creation. Maybe state what type of phone you using along with apps you use to help you. Like iPhone 12 and Filmic Pro for example. I say this because it's what I have. LOL.

Other than that very nice and looking good. But being 5 years old and 237 videos, that's only 47 videos a year? Looks like you're another YouTube that had a sabbatical, vacation, etc. It's ok, we ALL have!

Didn't think I would be reviewing your channel but it's a good start I guess. I could go further but the FREE version only gives me 25 searches a day so I used a couple of other means to do some research instead of using my search for today. This is why I have a short review here because I don't want to get into naming names of tools I use that aren't TubeBuddy because just don't look good.

But I'm sure you'll do just fine. LOL

Very much appreciate the feedback... those broken links was a good find. Had no idea that was the case and I thank you for the head's up.

I am not so sure about including that I only do this with a phone... that can seem cool to someone 'in the know' but to the casual viewer who cares? Someone searching for fishing videos or someone enjoying a video isn't going to click or subscribe based on that info, you know? It's just more of an aside from time to time.

You bring up a great point about video views/years on platform. This is something that I think more people should be mindful of. There are variables that you are not privy to and therefore are not being considered. For starters, the videos on my channel have a very weird tendency of 'taking off' after 140 days. I've spoken to some of the guru's about this and it appears as though that cycle of the Search and Discovery systems just works better for me. So basically all my videos from this summer (my prime-time) will start to gain more traction this winter, and then take off in the spring. But also, don't take that 'years on platform' thing to mean anything at all. I started my account in 2016... but I didn't post a video until 2018 and even then I didn't do fishing content until that May. So your figures are skewed... but even in other circumstances you can't really hold it against someone if they get it wrong for a year or two (or four) before figuring things out. These figures would be totally different if that were the case.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Hi Stanley,
I looked at your channel and i liked the that your a fishing channel and i watched a video. I do like rhe thumbnails the video was interesting. i think if i may say this explain a little bit more about which lake or if not giving that info. More info on what type of fish your after or which species you want to get.

My last thing is your tips are top notch and stuff. I like to see a series on teaching how to fish if no one you know is good at it. If not then explain your methods that would help new comers to fishing or younger people. If your channel is aimed twords all ages.

Overall your channel really is interesting and i defiantly think you got a good start.

Man that is really awesome, thank you for the feedback! I do try to mention the specific lake etc in my videos, however I also cater my videos towards search volume. I've found that Lake Monona (a lake I've filmed at several times) is just not a popular search term, and so I gravitate away from that in favor of better, more searchable keyword phrases. But great call, you have the right idea. I do target specific locations in my local area.

How to's are great for evergreen content... and something I try to focus more on in the winter when things slow down. It's a seasonal aspect of my niche and a great time to bulk up on the other parts/playlists etc of the channel.

CyberSorcerer

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
masterfreelancer.online
Subscriber Goal
I've spoken to some of the guru's about this and it appears as though that cycle of the Search and Discovery systems just works better for me.

Yea, I figured it was something I wasn't privy to. But I have the Pro version now at least and I could do a deeper dive into things and probably find more but I'm still getting to know the Pro version so maybe at a later time. But I'll put it on the back burner for sure.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB