• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Long or short intros?

Desocrates

What do you all think works better, longer or short intros for videos? I feel like it may just be better to get straight to the point and not waste a huge amount of time saying what the video is about as chances are if they clicked on it they know the what it is anyway.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hmm, at first I thought you were asking about an actual intro like a TV show into but you seem to be asking about the first few seconds or so of the video where the creator gives an explanation of what the video is about. I guess in this case short and sweet is the best option. Like you said odds are the viewer already knows what the video is about but it doesn't hurt to give a short explanation considering you never really know where the content is being consumed and thus the viewer might not always know with specifics what the content is about.

Reactions: Carlosmcp

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Short answer (ha!) - short. I see a lot of really big channels using longer intros, but I suspect they get away with it because they already had an audience before the styles changed.

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
I usually do a 5 second title card with music. Different title card each video. Many have recommended I have a theme song and intro. Which would be much longer.

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I would always go for short intros because someone could easily click off of your video if an intro is taking a while. The first seconds of your video are important to draw the attention of your audience so that they will be more likely to stay for more of the video.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I do not do an intro per se, more of a teaser.
I just recently started doing an intro. I keep it very short, 3 - 6 seconds. I try to find some oddball part of the vid to show, and hopefully get their interest. I did a review of a unli wing shop and put a 3 second clip of my wife flapping her 'wings' saying "pakpak, pakpak, pakpak" (tagalog for wings). It looked very silly so I used it as the intro, and left it in the regular part of the vid, for context.

charandperry

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
Our intro is just over 20secs long and we've set it as a video to appear for new subscribers to our channel too. We didn't want it to appear too long as it would appear on each of our videos and over time viewers may want to cut and get on with watching the video. Hope this helps

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I started a 20 seconds, trimmed to 13 seconds, and now do something that is about 3 seconds long. The AVD improved every time I reduced the bumper length.

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
If you want to do something fun like the Simpson's intro (where bits and pieces change every time), then a longer intro could be a great social experiment. Otherwise, I would keep it short.

Also, make sure you have chapter markers in your video so people can skip the intro.

Reactions: Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Neither. I don't use intros at all. Jump straight into the content people clicked to see. For my channel intros of any kind ruined watch time.

EV Nick

TubeBuddy Pro
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Depends on content sometimes NO intros, sometimes a 5 second short intro and others 10 seconds. However this is inserted AFTER I've talked about what video is about as a new sub just won't watch an intro if its the first thing they see and just won't carry on watching your video

Reactions: Damon

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
What ever you do, don't start with dubstep :p I think a very breif rundown of a few seconds tends to work. You can watch most Mr Beast videos and he does like, 5 seconds of hard explaining what's about to happen, and that tends to be more for seo than anything else. I know Nick Nimmin and others used to say to put right at the front what the video was about, because YouTube and Google would scan the first 30 seconds or so of the video to determine what the video is about. If YouTube can determine if you have copyrighted music, swearing in the first 30 seconds, and can also auto caption your videos, then it's no doubt listening to what is said and shown in the first 30 seconds. BUT you don't want to stuff your intros or you'll lose your audience because if your video is too long to get to the point, most will leave, the vocal ones will say "video starts at" in your comments so people can avoid your intro entirely.

I mean really, just watch any of TubeBuddy's intros, see what they do with their videos ;) it's a short snappy intro, or gets right to the information straight away.

Reactions: Gideon kolawole
Subscriber Goal
Do you like watching long intros on other peoples videos?

good question. I guess some like the long intro but thatΓÇÖs not why they subscribed to our page. Mines is around 15 seconds and thatΓÇÖs it. I change it up and try to keep it short. I have seen some intros a minute king and that makes me push the video faster to get through it. I wanna see the content not the intro. So yeah keep it short for me.

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I think long intros are fine if you already have a large audience but short intros grab attention is youΓÇÖre still a smaller YouTuber