• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Camera Gear Multi-angle fishing boat video set up. Looking for ideas.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, as a fishing channel dealing with these same issues, the solution is neither easy, nor cheap. The reality is none of us has a full film crew to get the job done properly.

I only use two cameras. Both true cinema cameras, E2C Z-cams, but I'm trying to shoot documentary films. You're trying to capture action, a very different set up. The reality is battery life, i.e., power, is a challenge for all of us, even in Hollywood.

Honestly I'd look at someone like Andrew St. Pierre White who does overlanding 4x4 expeditions and has cameras set up on his truck. He has a mix of true cinema cameras and Go Pros. The idea that you'll get everything with one kind of camera is a bit far fetched.

In the end nothing with capture action better than a GoPro, nothing will tell a story better than a cinema camera. None of these has good battery life for an adventure fisherman.

Another approach is to learn how to tell a story. You don't have to have a lot of action to tell a story. Look at how many videos I've made where I didn't catch a damned thing, yet people are still riveted to the screen. I understand you're filming in a very different way for different reasons, and that's fine. But you should be good enough in your storytelling that it's shouldn't matter if you captured the action shots or not. There's just not much storytelling on YouTube, yet the entire history of motion picture is based on storytelling.

Also look at your typical Saturday morning fishing show. The big productions with proper film crews and such. Look at National Geographic shows like Wicked Tuna. Analyse how they're getting their shots. There is so much more going on that just action shots. But if you watch closely those action shots are all handled by GoPros. The money shots are all handled by proper cinema cameras.

Typically a Saturday morning fishing show has two boats: the film crew boat, and the talent boat. (I don't know if that's what they're called.) If you analyse the show that's exactly how they shoot. They may even have an extra camera on the bank depending on the situation. This is in addition to all the GoPros on the main boat.

Also keep in mind that you'll have to have some way of syncing the audio with the video. At some point you will run up against the true problem: You are one person trying to do the job of an entire film crew and be the talent in front of the camera. In other words you will have to make compromises. By in large the way you handle those compromises and limitations will define your look, feel, style and approach. I choose to limit the action and focus on storytelling. you may choose to limit the storytelling and focus on the action. Either way works fine. Both require different set ups. Both are impossible with a one person film crew.

The reality is if I want to fish, I leave the cameras at home. If I want to put on a show, I'm okay with not catching as many fish. I can't tell you the number of fish I've lost because I was waiting for the camera, video recorder, and audio recorder to boot. Again compromises.

This is one reason I fish with jug lines. All the action is happening out there. I can turn the camera around and people can see the fish hitting the jug line.

Last edited: