• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Question Need advice on acquiring a new setup - camera and mic

lifeinplastic

lifeinplasticblog.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm currently just using my iPhone 12 Pro Max and the built in microphone to film. I edit on an older Mac desktop using Adobe Premiere Pro, and Photoshop for my thumbnails.

I told myself early in the process of growing my channel that I would not invest in equipment until I am in the YPP. I've reached the subscriber count needed, and only need some watch hours. I'm getting close.

Most of my videos consist of me sitting in my doll room and talking about dolls. I have not ventured outdoors and do not foresee any need to do that.

My question is, what camera and mic setup would you recommend for someone in my position? That is, I'm new-ish, looking to grow, looking to improve the quality of my videos. We're looking at a budget of less than $2,000.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Ask clarifying questions, but here is how I would spend $2k if I was doing what you are doing:
Sony a6400 - $998
Sigma 16mm f1.4 - $382
RODE Wireless GO II - $299
RODE Go Lav - $79
Elgato Key Light - $199
Inexpensive photography reflectors from Amazon - $19
Clips from Amazon - $20
Dazzne Desk Mount Stand - $31.99

My #2 recommendations would be this:
DJI Pocket 2 Creator's Combo - $499
RODE SmartLav+ - $79
Elgato Key Light - $199
Clips from Amazon - $20

The creator's combo has a mini tripod, a wide-angle lens and a wireless mic. I found adding the SmartLav+ increased the audio quality significantly. This is a 4k setup with just about everything you need. What you would not get necessarily is the level of depth of field you get from a DSLR.

Reactions: lifeinplastic
OP
OP
lifeinplastic

lifeinplastic

lifeinplasticblog.com
Subscriber Goal
Ask clarifying questions, but here is how I would spend $2k if I was doing what you are doing:
Sony a6400 - $998
Sigma 16mm f1.4 - $382
RODE Wireless GO II - $299
RODE Go Lav - $79
Elgato Key Light - $199
Clips from Amazon - $20
Dazzne Desk Mount Stand - $31.99

My #2 recommendations would be this:
DJI Pocket 2 Creator's Combo - $499
RODE SmartLav+ - $79
Elgato Key Light - $199
Clips from Amazon - $20

The creator's combo has a mini tripod, a wide-angle lens and a wireless mic. I found adding the SmartLav+ increased the audio quality significantly. This is a 4k setup with just about everything you need. What you would not get necessarily is the level of depth of field you get from a DSLR.

Thank you for these recommendations. I did some quick searches on each of these. Really great stuff. I'm looking forward to upgrading my setup. Hopefully very soon.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Thank you for these recommendations. I did some quick searches on each of these. Really great stuff. I'm looking forward to upgrading my setup. Hopefully very soon.
I think the Pocket 2 is criminally underrated, especially for what you get at the price.

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I brought a canon g7x mark ii and I absolutely love it - easy to use and gives my videos good quality - great for sit-down videos too :)

OP
OP
lifeinplastic

lifeinplastic

lifeinplasticblog.com
Subscriber Goal
I brought a canon g7x mark ii and I absolutely love it - easy to use and gives my videos good quality - great for sit-down videos too :)

Awesome, thanks...the Sony a6400 has higher video resolution, but also costs more, so something to consider. My thing is, if I'm going to upgrade, I don't want to have to do it too frequently. So I may as well go with the best available gear.