• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Video about a new Ken doll. What can I do to engage viewers?

lifeinplastic

lifeinplasticblog.com
Subscriber Goal
User name: lifeinplastic
Title of thread: Video about a new Ken doll. What can I do to engage viewers?
Self review: This video is very straightforward. It's an unboxing and review of a new release from Mattel. One thing I know I can work on is integrating more B-roll footage, especially when describing the doll itself. I'm also wondering what viewers think of the pace of the video. I try to keep things moving along at a nice pace, but there is just so much that I want to talk about regarding this doll. I'm wondering what viewers think of the technical aspects of this video. For instance, I forgot to shut down my heating system while filming this, so there are parts of the video where you may hear some background noise. Finally, I want to know whether viewers feel that my review is thorough enough. On this particular doll, there weren't so many technical aspects to discuss since his fashion and accessories are very simple and straightforward. However, I do wonder if I have left viewers with unanswered questions.
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://youtu.be/Qvy6M7Hi5Sk

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/38303/post-124016

SwishWilly

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hi there!

I'll first let you know that your thumbnail is appealing and straight forward :)

For me, I find that the inflections on your voice can come across at times quite scripted and seem as though you're reading more than you are sharing genuine knowledge and excitement. That's not to say you aren't knowledgeable or excited about the doll, however, it's just how it may come across.

The transition logo image between the initial descriptions of the doll moving into removing the doll for the cardboard seemed more like an ending of the video as opposed to a transition. Maybe a bit more movement in the image such as a swipe or spinning may help that seem more transitional.

I'm not familiar with the doll itself or advertising, but it might a neat overlay to have next to you on the screen if you could find an image of the original advertisement of the doll.

A very cool niche market though. I love that!

OP
OP
lifeinplastic

lifeinplastic

lifeinplasticblog.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi there!

I'll first let you know that your thumbnail is appealing and straight forward :)

For me, I find that the inflections on your voice can come across at times quite scripted and seem as though you're reading more than you are sharing genuine knowledge and excitement. That's not to say you aren't knowledgeable or excited about the doll, however, it's just how it may come across.

The transition logo image between the initial descriptions of the doll moving into removing the doll for the cardboard seemed more like an ending of the video as opposed to a transition. Maybe a bit more movement in the image such as a swipe or spinning may help that seem more transitional.

I'm not familiar with the doll itself or advertising, but it might a neat overlay to have next to you on the screen if you could find an image of the original advertisement of the doll.

A very cool niche market though. I love that!

Thank you for your feedback. I didn't realize that I was coming across as scripted. I do follow an outline of things that I want to say about the doll. I also talk a bit slowly sometimes because I'm thinking about what to say next.

I see what you mean about the transition. I'll try not to use this particular one in the middle of my videos.

It's fairly easy to find the promo images of these dolls. I'll keep that in mind for future videos.

Thanks again!

liftoffvideo

liftoffvideo.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi lifeinplastic,

Thumbnail: Like the thumb, colors pop and work together, maybe you could change up the text slightly - "60 years old - NO WAY!" (just an example).

Hook: Perhaps the first 5-10 secs should go straight into the hook, in this video I'll be unboxing and showing you different outfits for Ken etc then go into channel intro

Video Length: I think this video is too long, i would think an unbox plus 1 accessory would be around 6-10 mins, try a few other unbox vids maybe in diff niches and see how they go

Unbox: Maybe you could setup a separate overhead unbox table for greater detail on the object and talk over the display

Music & Effects: Liked a lot of the background music and effects also the motion graphics used, can you add a subscribe/links below lower 3rds slide a few times throughout the video, take a look at Think Media channel and also Primal Video for ideas to steal.

I liked the video and thought overall quality was good, video/audio and lighting but everything can always be improved right? I think we are all trying to do that 1 video at a time.

Thanks, Patrick :)

Avocado

TubeBuddy User
www.spreadtheavocado.com
Subscriber Goal
First off I want to say you have GREAT thumbnails! You nailed it!

Some crits:

1. Your mic. It sounds like you are far away. Maybe try a lavalier microphone, cause you get an echo.
2. Cover up those walls, they almost look like you are in a prison. Maybe get a hanging drape or curtain that covers behind you. Or go online and check out other youtubers sets. Set is very important.

These are the only two things I saw that I think would make your video look and sound more professional. Good luck!

AnnysKoreanLife

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Hello Chris!

We are Malay and Korean international couple who started our YouTube recently.

We saw all your thumbnails and they were really GREAT!!
And you have very detailed target audience, which is also amazing.
You are video length, in my opinion is also good, because your audience will want to see all the details about the doll.
The one who want to see only the specific part will skip, but I believe they will see your video till end.
Also your description is very easy yet detailed. We can see your enthusiasm toward your collection.

Here are our feedback on your video.

(1) As liftoffvideo mentioned, separate angle for the doll when you review seems to be needed. Although you put different zoom with the cuts, but I believe detailed bird-eye view of dolls on the solid colored matt will give your viewers more focus.

(2) For the sound, we will share our knowhow. To tell you the truth, our video has terrible audio quality as we make our videos only with our phone and Xiaomi action cam. This is the reason why we put the subtitles in our videos. But your vocal description is really easy to understand and clear, subtitle doesn't seems to be needed. If you use Premier Pro, [Nest] all your vocal record and go to [Effects] > [Audio Effects] > [Multiband Compressor]. And then, apply [Pop Master]. You will be amazed with the results! If you already knew, sorry ;)

Of course, these are our personal opinions, so please ignore the ones that you don't like.

We will look forward to your next video!