• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Advice Looking for the best green screen kits for under ┬ú50 (UK)

Randomlifestylevlog

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
Looking for the best green screen kits for under £50 (UK) I've seen ones on amazon but mostly just green sheets. Looking ideally for a kit (with frame) or roller version. Any suggestions?

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
This was posted a while ago... did you buy your green screen?

Your price request may have scared off some replies on this thread. Personally I tried a cheap cloth first, and later bought the Elgato Green Screen MT. They make a ceiling mount version and a popup from the floor version. Both are around $200 CAD - not sure the exact math, but probably closer to double your budget. But IMHO, worth it.

For me anything that takes a lot of time is going to slow down my video making process and slow down my channel growth. Better to spend a little extra if it speeds up your video production by saving you time (if you can afford to).

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I made my own green screen for under $20 (USD). I bought a large piece of green cloth, bought 2 umbrellas with silver lining, made 2 light fixtures (that attach to the umbrella handles), and have lots of clips. I do not use a frame because I just clip the screen over an existing hanging curtain.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
@Tito Tim is right. but let me give you a bit more detail.

The reason for a "green" screen is because the specific color green is almost never used on sets or in the actor's clothes. But chrome or delta keying just focuses on a color. So while green is traditional, it isn't required. You can use any large fabric that is a solid color and doesn't math anything in your set or clothing.

That said, Tim makes a very important point Good lighting reduces the color range of the backdrop and makes it easier to key out. In a wire way, shadows and bright spots require you to key out a wider range of color and has a much higher chance of having something you don't mean to key out disappear

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
@Tito Tim is right. but let me give you a bit more detail.

The reason for a "green" screen is because the specific color green is almost never used on sets or in the actor's clothes. But chrome or delta keying just focuses on a color. So while green is traditional, it isn't required. You can use any large fabric that is a solid color and doesn't math anything in your set or clothing.

That said, Tim makes a very important point Good lighting reduces the color range of the backdrop and makes it easier to key out. In a wire way, shadows and bright spots require you to key out a wider range of color and has a much higher chance of having something you don't mean to key out disappear

Good points! I suppose what I left out is that I don't want my greenscreen setup 24/7. I use my room for multiple things. A plain simple sheet of cloth can certainly work, but you do want to get it as wrinkle free as you can by stretching it a little bit and/or being careful how you store it and lighting it well.

For me the "projector screen" style device made it easier to put away and setup and know it will be wrinkle free when I pull it out again. But you can certainly make a simple green cloth work!

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Good points! I suppose what I left out is that I don't want my greenscreen setup 24/7. I use my room for multiple things. A plain simple sheet of cloth can certainly work, but you do want to get it as wrinkle free as you can by stretching it a little bit and/or being careful how you store it and lighting it well.

For me the "projector screen" style device made it easier to put away and setup and know it will be wrinkle free when I pull it out again. But you can certainly make a simple green cloth work!
LOL, I own a green screen - in fact the one you mention. But I think for people on a budget it is important to realize you can achieve the same effect with any large solid-color backdrop.