• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Should I make a shorts channel?

BuddyColeen

youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I posted a short 3 days ago but Youtubers were having trouble with the app. Now it shot up to 41 views in 3 hours!

So, should I make a channel just for shorts? I started in last week of January.

Naheed

Known Member
www.coupongot.com
Subscriber Goal
Yes, short videos have many benefits. You can continue with short videos. Nowadays, people do not have time to watch long videos, instead, they prefer to watch short videos. Moreover, short videos audience donΓÇÖt need a long attention span and your watch-time goes up a lot, especially if they watch the whole clip

OP
OP
B

BuddyColeen

youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Yes, short videos have many benefits. You can continue with short videos. Nowadays, people do not have time to watch long videos, instead, they prefer to watch short videos. Moreover, short videos audience donΓÇÖt need a long attention span and your watch-time goes up a lot, especially if they watch the whole clip

Thanks!
I took out my long videos and turned the cat ones into shorts! I actually think they're cuter that way!

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I would advise against it. Here is why;

For starters Shorts are in beta right now. As soon as YouTube implements the Shorts camera to all creators we are not going to be seeing the same easy views that we are currently experiencing. The market is going to get crowded fast. So don't expect short to remain as easy to win as they currently are.

Next, there is very little value in Shorts videos. They aren't totally valueless mind you; they are good for exposure in that you can get in front of a lot of eyes fast. So long as your shorts videos follow the regular content on your channel then there are no issues and it acts as a good source of quick subscriber bumps for your channel. But as a standalone? I don't see the reason for it. Why have a channel dedicated entirely to a type of video which is almost completely unmonetizable and based solely around high view counts? I would think these same videos would be far more impactful if that energy went towards making these shorts fit your current channel.

Now it needs to be said if you are doing this for fun you can take every single word that I said and throw it right out the window. If you enjoy doing it then don't let myself or anyone else out there rain on your parade.

Reactions: Cariboo Ryan
OP
OP
B

BuddyColeen

youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Since my channel just started in late January I need the exposure. In the future I want to post videos about the game I'm making. However, I've had little time to work on the game because of the game walkthroughs I was doing for Youtube. So right now I think a shorts channel for exposure might be a good option.

Cariboo Ryan

I would advise against it. Here is why;

For starters Shorts are in beta right now. As soon as YouTube implements the Shorts camera to all creators we are not going to be seeing the same easy views that we are currently experiencing. The market is going to get crowded fast. So don't expect short to remain as easy to win as they currently are.

Next, there is very little value in Shorts videos. They aren't totally valueless mind you; they are good for exposure in that you can get in front of a lot of eyes fast. So long as your shorts videos follow the regular content on your channel then there are no issues and it acts as a good source of quick subscriber bumps for your channel. But as a standalone? I don't see the reason for it. Why have a channel dedicated entirely to a type of video which is almost completely unmonetizable and based solely around high view counts? I would think these same videos would be far more impactful if that energy went towards making these shorts fit your current channel.

Now it needs to be said if you are doing this for fun you can take every single word that I said and throw it right out the window. If you enjoy doing it then don't let myself or anyone else out there rain on your parade.

I'm one of those just doing it for fun kinda creators. At least until the snow melts and I can go back outside to play lol.
Ryan

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Judging by your channel now, you already have veered it towards being a shorts channel. So long as your videos are vertical (for now) and add #shorts to the title, the majority of your videos area already short enough to be shorts. I'd experiment with adding #shorts even in your horizontal format less than 1 minute videos to see if they get picked up by the shorts shelf. It theoretically should only pick up vertical, but I have a feeling even horizontal videos will get picked up by the shorts shelf eventually.