• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review I would like some feedback on my channel in hopes of getting a higher viewership

Shawny

TubeBuddy Pro
User name: Shawny
Title of thread: I would like some feedback on my channel in hopes of getting a higher viewership
Self review: I could probably stand to be a little bit more consistent with posting videos and it seems that my music videos bring the most audience retention. I should maybe try and focus more on that aspect of the channel.
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkIj7HaPiJzBKk0dpcPWyJA/videos
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/37317/#post-117728

Reactions: Ptaylorking615

Madgeblondie

Hey Shawny, I like the lay out of your channel page, its bright but not too fussy. Your thumb nails look inviting too, not sure of your content yet as I haven't clicked a video but it looks like a younger age base you are going for? Reading the titles now I can see it is!
The beginning seems a little slow to get going..( What's in my backpack video) I read somewhere you have to get the attention in the first ten seconds and as a mum of a child myself their attenton span is quite often the same as goldfish. You sayy ooh at the beginning every sentence, probably a 'you' thing I say umm too much!!.
Overall I think you need to think more of the age group you are targeting. Obviously I am an adult ( mostly) but I found the video a bit samey, I was expecting something different or spectacular to happen. I think you are on the right track but not quite. Hope this helps. I have tried to highlight some positives as well as negatives. Marie

OP
OP
Shawny

Shawny

TubeBuddy Pro
Hi Marie!

Thank you so much for your feedback! I appreciate it a lot! I agree with everything you said (especially the "ooh" part). I wasn't too happy with the backpack one and I think the views reflect it (especially compared to the music video stuff that captures attention faster). I'll keep plugging along and hone in more on what my age group should be.

Thanks again :)

MiahGraceSews

the only things I would change are small quality-related things. for example, your backgrounds in your video are occasionally sloppy (like in the friendly monster video. it's amazing the difference ironing curtains can make! and you seem to film in a very warm light. this creates an unflattering yellow tinge. I had this problem for a long while as well and I fixed it with an LED light that I aimed right at my face. It helped a ton.
you've got good rhythm and now I'm going to have the friendly monster song stuck in my head for the rest of my life....thanks for that lol.
I love the show and tell video, it just feels nostalgic and happy, and it's short and sweet which is good since this content is for kids who have an even shorter attention span than I do! you've got a great laugh too!

OP
OP
Shawny

Shawny

TubeBuddy Pro
@MiahGraceSews Thanks for the great feedback! Lighting is my kryptonite in that I have such a hard time with it and always wonder if I'm getting it right lol. I currently use a ring light or natural light when I can but investing in an LED light would probably work wonders. Potentially ridiculous question, do you just use the one LED light for your video? I'm glad you enjoyed the song! One of my favourites to play :)

Reactions: MiahGraceSews

MiahGraceSews

@MiahGraceSews Thanks for the great feedback! Lighting is my kryptonite in that I have such a hard time with it and always wonder if I'm getting it right lol. I currently use a ring light or natural light when I can but investing in an LED light would probably work wonders. Potentially ridiculous question, do you just use the one LED light for your video? I'm glad you enjoyed the song! One of my favourites to play :)
I use two ring lights set to the cool setting, or I sit by the window on a sunny day. most ring lights have led bulbs and should have a nice cool tone. (but I'm no expert I bought mine at Menards)

the monster costume was a great touch :)

OP
OP
Shawny

Shawny

TubeBuddy Pro
I use two ring lights set to the cool setting, or I sit by the window on a sunny day. most ring lights have led bulbs and should have a nice cool tone. (but I'm no expert I bought mine at Menards)

the monster costume was a great touch :)

Amazing! Thanks so much! I think I haven't been using the ring light properly lol! I might have it two far away. The room I have been doing my filming in also doesn't have great natural lighting so I'll have to make a switch.

Haha thanks! I used it as a Halloween Costume so it definitely got it's money's worth.

Reactions: MiahGraceSews

Sofiiane13dz

TubeBuddy User
Hey Shawny,
I think your channel is good, colours are matching, using a good thumbnail is very important,
from the other hand, i do not know what camera you are using, but you should ( if you can ) film more during the day, and if you do not have good lighting equipment, sometimes to search the brightest place in your home to make your video ( next to a window ) can be sufficient,
during the editing, try to use a software that can give you the possibility to play with the colours in your video ( this give the videos a better quality ) and export them with the maximum ( 4k ) if possible ( don't forget that youtube always compresse the videos and if you upload your videos with max quality even if youtube compresse it , it will not be shown to the viewer :

Good luck

OP
OP
Shawny

Shawny

TubeBuddy Pro
Hey Shawny,
I think your channel is good, colours are matching, using a good thumbnail is very important,
from the other hand, i do not know what camera you are using, but you should ( if you can ) film more during the day, and if you do not have good lighting equipment, sometimes to search the brightest place in your home to make your video ( next to a window ) can be sufficient,
during the editing, try to use a software that can give you the possibility to play with the colours in your video ( this give the videos a better quality ) and export them with the maximum ( 4k ) if possible ( don't forget that youtube always compresse the videos and if you upload your videos with max quality even if youtube compresse it , it will not be shown to the viewer :

Good luck
Thanks for the great feedback! I've definitely learned the hardway about lighting but I've found a few good spots, so I'm on my way :) I'll definitely work on playing with the colours as I've felt they could look a little bit warmer in tone. Would you have some editing software to recommend? I've been getting by with I Movie but I'd like to invest in something better if I could.

Annies Sleeping ASMR

TubeBuddy Legend
Hello MiahGrace,

I think your channel looks nice! I like your titles for your videos. Looks really interesting to me. I love sewing and have sown for many years! Don't be disappointed in any replies, just learn from it and improve. I think that's what we all have to do. Keep up the good work. I am new to my channel this year so I am learning. Aren't we all? ;-)