• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Camera Gear Upgrading gopro

Deezy

Hey guys! IΓÇÖm just shooting vlog style videos on a gopro atm and using my iPhone for odd bits and bobs. Only shot about 4 or 5 videos so far Thinking of upgrading camera but get reeled far too easily to every one! WhatΓÇÖs everyone using? Thanks

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I just recently got a Canon M50. It's an amazing camera though I have yet to put it to the test for a video for YT yet. I was previously using a Logitech C920 webcam which wasn't bad but I had a need for a camera that could record separately from the PC.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'd kinda ask WHY you're using a gopro for vlogging over your phone camera? iPhones are pretty great with picture quality. Personally I'd be using a GoPro of I specifically want a fisheye effect because GoPro's are great for wide angle. iPhones are great for a more closer shot. So outside of getting some depth of field with some bokeh, i'd be questioning why you'd need a new camera to vlog with anyway? iPhones are pretty great for video quality already. I'd only upgrade specifically because I want some soft blurred background with sharp foreground.

If your phone is kinda old, I'd probably just invest in a new phone, then you get the luxury of new performance for editing as well. You can do a lot with the phone.

Pete A Turner

Known Member
I'd kinda ask WHY you're using a gopro for vlogging over your phone camera? iPhones are pretty great with picture quality. Personally I'd be using a GoPro of I specifically want a fisheye effect because GoPro's are great for wide angle. iPhones are great for a more closer shot. So outside of getting some depth of field with some bokeh, i'd be questioning why you'd need a new camera to vlog with anyway? iPhones are pretty great for video quality already. I'd only upgrade specifically because I want some soft blurred background with sharp foreground.

If your phone is kinda old, I'd probably just invest in a new phone, then you get the luxury of new performance for editing as well. You can do a lot with the phone.
What about a GoPro for a 2 shot? or with a lens added?

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
What about a GoPro for a 2 shot? or with a lens added?
The old saying is "the best camera is the one you have". I think if you have a GoPro you should use it. But if someone asks should they buy a GoPro for this type of situation, I don't think it is the best solution. You can get the DJI Pocket 2 for the same price and it is much more suited for a variety of tasks over the GoPro. I would add to what Beanie said that if you have a phone from the past 3 years that isn't in use, setting it up as a B camera is cheap and the quality will be very high.

Pete A Turner

Known Member
The old saying is "the best camera is the one you have". I think if you have a GoPro you should use it. But if someone asks should they buy a GoPro for this type of situation, I don't think it is the best solution. You can get the DJI Pocket 2 for the same price and it is much more suited for a variety of tasks over the GoPro. I would add to what Beanie said that if you have a phone from the past 3 years that isn't in use, setting it up as a B camera is cheap and the quality will be very high.
Thanks for that answer. I'm trying to get my lights and cameras sorted...it's a challenge finding the right compromises to get everything working in a way that makes sense. Also, like to go TO my guests house, restaurant etc to record...I'm trying to find a good portable and mobile set up that works. The GoPro's size makes it a good option...but the fisheye isn't great.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for that answer. I'm trying to get my lights and cameras sorted...it's a challenge finding the right compromises to get everything working in a way that makes sense. Also, like to go TO my guests house, restaurant etc to record...I'm trying to find a good portable and mobile set up that works. The GoPro's size makes it a good option...but the fisheye isn't great.
I would 100% with no hesitation recommend the DJI Pocket 2 Creator's Bundle. I don't know of anything in the market that does the same thing at the price point. Add a better mic to its wireless lav, and it is a run and gun setup that can also be tripod mounted, etc. That setup includes a wide-angle lens making it an amazing value for a real 4k setup.

I have it and have been testing it and using it for work on a second channel I'm launching soon. Been very impressed with it.

Pete A Turner

Known Member
I would 100% with no hesitation recommend the DJI Pocket 2 Creator's Bundle. I don't know of anything in the market that does the same thing at the price point. Add a better mic to its wireless lav, and it is a run and gun setup that can also be tripod mounted, etc. That setup includes a wide-angle lens making it an amazing value for a real 4k setup.

I have it and have been testing it and using it for work on a second channel I'm launching soon. Been very impressed with it.
I'll look that up. Hopefully, you just made my day :)