• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Do I have to tell YouTube if I'm selling my own merchandise on my channel?

SoyManuelMedina

TubeBuddy User
So, here's the thing: I have a channel with almost 70K, we post (thanks to agencies and our own exchange network) interviews and videos about football. I wanted to have another source of income and looked at Teespring BUT they are too expensive for our market (Mexicans and Latin American people mainly).

Which brings us to my question: Do I have to tell YouTube if I am announcing my own merchandise outside of Teespring (and the merch self)? Does it qualify as a paid promotion? What do you think?

I have videos with over 250K, so I was thinking on putting a link on the description, then a card to my own store (which I will have to host on my own site for what I understand). On new videos can I actually add a small ad (5 to 10 seconds) to tell my users about my merch?

I hope I was clear enought, because I was searching all night and I couldn't find any answer to this. Thank you all.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I suspect there aren't that many people here that are using the merch shelf, so it might take until the weekend for some of them to see this.

OP
OP
SoyManuelMedina

SoyManuelMedina

TubeBuddy User
I suspect there aren't that many people here that are using the merch shelf, so it might take until the weekend for some of them to see this.
Thank you, but my question goes farther than the merch shelf, I want to know if I can announce like my own store and tell YouTube, the only thing I can think of, is that I do because they will then take that video off from YouTube Kids.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
All I have is anecdote - there are tons of channels that do so. Check out Good Mythical Morning - they plug their own sites and merch on just about every episode.

Reactions: SoyManuelMedina
OP
OP
SoyManuelMedina

SoyManuelMedina

TubeBuddy User
Thank you, I guess I will just do it, I will check that box and just be tasteful about the ad. Thank you for your time.

fproject

TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Saluran saya dismonet
[QUOTE = "SoyManuelMedina, pos: 107297, anggota: 45568"]
Jadi, inilah masalahnya: Saya memiliki saluran dengan hampir 70K, kami memposting (terima kasih kepada agensi dan jaringan pertukaran kami sendiri) wawancara dan video tentang sepak bola. Saya ingin memiliki sumber pendapatan lain dan melihat Teespring TETAPI harganya terlalu mahal untuk pasar kami (terutama orang Meksiko dan Amerika Latin).

Yang membawa kita ke pertanyaan saya: Apakah saya harus memberi tahu YouTube jika saya mengumumkan merchandise saya sendiri di luar Teespring (dan merchandise sendiri)? Apakah itu memenuhi syarat sebagai promosi berbayar? Bagaimana menurut anda?

Saya memiliki video dengan lebih dari 250K, jadi saya berpikir untuk meletakkan tautan pada deskripsi, lalu kartu ke toko saya sendiri (yang harus saya hosting di situs saya sendiri untuk apa yang saya mengerti). Di video baru, bisakah saya menambahkan iklan kecil (5 hingga 10 detik) untuk memberi tahu pengguna tentang merchandise saya?

Saya harap saya cukup jelas, karena saya mencari sepanjang malam dan saya tidak dapat menemukan jawaban untuk ini. Terima kasih semua.
[/KUTIPAN]

Jika Anda yakin dan sudah memahami tentang barang dagangan yang digunakan di setiap video, tidak masalah selama Anda tetap berpegang pada persyaratan dan kebijakan

Reactions: SoyManuelMedina
OP
OP
SoyManuelMedina

SoyManuelMedina

TubeBuddy User
Saluran saya dismonet
[QUOTE = "SoyManuelMedina, pos: 107297, anggota: 45568"]
Jadi, inilah masalahnya: Saya memiliki saluran dengan hampir 70K, kami memposting (terima kasih kepada agensi dan jaringan pertukaran kami sendiri) wawancara dan video tentang sepak bola. Saya ingin memiliki sumber pendapatan lain dan melihat Teespring TETAPI harganya terlalu mahal untuk pasar kami (terutama orang Meksiko dan Amerika Latin).

Yang membawa kita ke pertanyaan saya: Apakah saya harus memberi tahu YouTube jika saya mengumumkan merchandise saya sendiri di luar Teespring (dan merchandise sendiri)? Apakah itu memenuhi syarat sebagai promosi berbayar? Bagaimana menurut anda?

Saya memiliki video dengan lebih dari 250K, jadi saya berpikir untuk meletakkan tautan pada deskripsi, lalu kartu ke toko saya sendiri (yang harus saya hosting di situs saya sendiri untuk apa yang saya mengerti). Di video baru, bisakah saya menambahkan iklan kecil (5 hingga 10 detik) untuk memberi tahu pengguna tentang merchandise saya?

Saya harap saya cukup jelas, karena saya mencari sepanjang malam dan saya tidak dapat menemukan jawaban untuk ini. Terima kasih semua.
[/KUTIPAN]

Jika Anda yakin dan sudah memahami tentang barang dagangan yang digunakan di setiap video, tidak masalah selama Anda tetap berpegang pada persyaratan dan kebijakan
Thank you my friend.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
If it's your own merch, then technically no, BUT with the FTC being very watchful over sponsorship ads and how influencers use #ad #promotion etc and how we must disclose EVERYTHING, I'd err on the side of caution and if the video is heavily meant to promote your merch, I'd probably just disclose it as an ad anyway. It may not bother YouTube, but I'm sure it will futureproof you with the FTC.

If you have no commercial relationships, and you're simply selling your own products, that doesn't need to be disclosed, BUT, I sense a future where the FTC will require even promoting your own products to be disclosed.

It's going to be interesting. I see this being a topic that's going to become an issue with the FTC in the next 5 years possibly. But then again... new presidency, meaning possibly new FTC organizing? I'm not sure

residentcasuals

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
There are channels I watch that sell their own shirts etc. and I don't see 'includes paid promotion' or anything like that. I think it'll be ok but bumping for more of a knowledgeable and definitive answer.

My book is coming out in December and I want to include a link in every video for that.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal
There are channels I watch that sell their own shirts etc. and I don't see 'includes paid promotion' or anything like that
Same. When I watch other golf channels most of them are selling their own apparel and promoting the links in the description or cards, but no where does it say paid promotions. I guess nobody is paying them to upload those links so it's technically true.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
All I have is anecdote - there are tons of channels that do so. Check out Good Mythical Morning - they plug their own sites and merch on just about every episode.

My favorite YT channel that advertises their merch is Linus Tech Tips. I love how he just slips the ad right in the middle of his comments about whatever the video is about. Almost always as if it was part of the script for the video topic.