• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice quality or quantity?

erienne

Subscriber Goal
definitely quality. and i'll give you an example.
so suppose you have a schedule to post, right? say, two days a week which isn't bad at all. you start off with a lot of time, and you're able to make great quality videos and post within the deadline. and then, you don't have time anymore.

so you decided to keep going because, well, that's the youtube algorithm, right? consistency. well, watch time also contributes to the algorithm, and it contributes MORE. so if people aren't staying because you're posting on the right days but your videos aren't as great as they were before, people would start to not enjoy your content and youtube will see this and won't put out your content farther for new people to see. if your content is good, however, even if it takes awhile, it's more likely for people to watch to the end and youtube senses this. i can prove this by YouTubers who take a huge hiatus for a few months, and then come back and still blow up.

hope this helps!

Reactions: fillamenta

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Quantity at first. That gives rise to quality. For instance musicians don't perfect their craft in a practice room. They perfect their craft in stage. What happens on stage informs what they should to in the practice room.

When first starting get 150 videos out. That's your learning curve. You won't get quality until you get that quantity of videos out. Once you're able to turn out videos quickly, then slow down and refine the skills you have acquired by focusing on quantity.

You can't have quality if you don't even have the skill set in the first place. Quality without the learning curve of quantity is a disillusion of adequacy.

Last edited:

goldfries

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I think it's good to balance out between quality and quantity.

For a new channel your first bunch of video IS your portfolio - what do YOU want those videos to tell about you?

Quality in the sense of CONTENT, not about using the 8K with sharpest of lenses and all. GIVE GOOD QUALITY CONTENT because your content represents you.

Even if your presentation is poor, aim to deliver good points.

Reactions: Simple_Words_Sonal

Bigjesticles35

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
This is my struggle. Focusing to much on quality can give rise to perfectionism and ultimately not creating anything. A good balance between quality and quantity is key i think.

goldfries

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
This is my struggle. Focusing to much on quality can give rise to perfectionism and ultimately not creating anything. A good balance between quality and quantity is key i think.

I experience the same before.

MyBlocksStrongestMan

Recognized Member
Quality is always first and then "consistency" would be a better word than "quantity". Moreso than trying to publish very frequent videos would be to pick a schedule that works for you and stick to that schedule no matter how frequent it is.

• Love
Reactions: Damon

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
There's a few sides to the argument and I think both sides are important.

Focusing tooo heavily on quality, puts you at risk of being a perfectionist that never gets anything out (sounds like me lol) and quality is subjective. What YOU think is quality, might not actually be as amazing as you think. I've put out videos that I thought were amazing at the time, only to see 12% audience retention, meaning the quality I thought was there, only 12% of my audience managed to get to the end of.

Quality comes from quantity, do anything enough times and you'll progressively get better and faster at it anyway

That said, I wouldn't say churning out constant videos is the way to go either. Some will say you need to make 100 crappy videos... and there is some truth to that, 100 videos SHOULD lead you towards progressively getting better over time, like MKBHD and others. BUT if you're not improving over time and you see no growth, it's pretty evident then that you're throwing videos in the dark and hoping something will stick and that won't help you either. You can make thousands of videos and barely hit 100 subs... eventually you have to analyze what you're doing and consider of the quality is there or not. You should be learning over time, not churning out videos for the sake of numbers.

That's why I think it's important to focus on both, and you want a healthy level of both. Focusing too much on consistancy when the quality isn't there, is simply repeating the same mistakes, but spending too much time on trying to craft perfection will mean your full potential is lost and some people won't notice the effort you put in anyway. So it's a bit of a balancing act.

• Love

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Definitely both, why? because you need to not only do a great video, but also do well in search, promotion and many other factors.

Randomlifestylevlog

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
As everyone has said. Both! Quality is always important but overtime when youtube sees you have a lot of content it will help your channel to be picked up more in rankings.