• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Audio Gear I am looking for a good microphone for singing

Yoyo

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Hey everyone,
I am looking for good microphone (XLR) around 100 Euros. Does anyone has good recommendations? I tried the Uhuru UM-900 (USB) and I was really not happy about how my voice sounded. Right now I am using an external microphone for my camera.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Do you need a USB mic or will an XLR mic work?

I own several Shure BETA 87As for this purpose. If you can deal with an XLR connector, you can look into the used pro equipment market. The nice thing is that the pro stuff is built to last so buying used from a reputable shop is a pretty safe thing to do.

Other thing - you may want to try them as different mics respond to different tonal ranges. So visiting a shop (I know - COVID) is a good option if you can do it.

Reactions: BensTechLab
OP
OP
Yoyo

Yoyo

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
I wanna go the XLR route. I will probably buy the Focusrite scarlett solo. Right now I was thinking of the AT2035 or Shure one.

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
I wanna go the XLR route. I will probably buy the Focusrite scarlett solo. Right now I was thinking of the AT2035 or Shure one.
It will definitely give you way ore options to get an audio interface that will let you use XLR mics.

I haven't personally used the AT2035, but have used the Shure SM-7B, the Shure SM58 and the previously-mentioned BETA 87A. Audio-Technica makes good gear. I would also consider AKG.

OP
OP
Yoyo

Yoyo

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
I will take a look at the Shure ones. Do you have experiences with Rode?

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
Are these condenser mics? good for vocal recording for music production?
They are. The SM58 is one of the old standards in the industry.

I'll not list all of the mics I own because I've been collecting them for a very long time. But I currently own 3 RODE mics. The NT1-A would be their base vocal mic in a similar category. It's a nice mic. But I think at the NT1-A price range, I'd stretch a bit more because there is a fairly significant break point once you get above 300 euros. Then you are in the SM7-B or similar category.

If you truly want to stay below 100 euros the easiest answer is the Shure SM58.

Bigjesticles35

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hey there,
I am also a vocalist and I used to have a Rode NT1A and I really didn't like it. Even though it is a very popular mic for the entry level price it is very harsh for a female voice. I used to find the SM58 sounded better even though it is a dynamic mic.

I have since bought a SM7B and it was definitely worth the money.
Hope this helps.
Jess

fproject

TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
[QUOTE = "Yoyo, pos: 106029, anggota: 49659"]
Hai semuanya,
Saya mencari mikrofon yang bagus (XLR) sekitar 100 Euro. Apakah ada yang punya rekomendasi bagus? Saya mencoba Uhuru UM-900 (USB) dan saya sangat tidak senang dengan suara saya. Sekarang saya menggunakan mikrofon eksternal untuk kamera saya.
[/KUTIPAN]
RODE menurut saya lebih baik untuk saat ini

OP
OP
Yoyo

Yoyo

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Hey there,
I am also a vocalist and I used to have a Rode NT1A and I really didn't like it. Even though it is a very popular mic for the entry level price it is very harsh for a female voice. I used to find the SM58 sounded better even though it is a dynamic mic.

I have since bought a SM7B and it was definitely worth the money.
Hope this helps.
Jess

That's a shame. I missed your message. Just got the NT1A second hand for 100 Euro. Maybe I will resell it in the future and go for the Shure SM7B, which is out of my price range right now. Thanks for your help.

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
I would always go Rode

They just have great prices for what you get

We use a couple for live songs [studio mic though] and a shot gun one on the camera for normal videos

Which one you - is up to your budget - but the vocal ones - are designed to make vocals sound 'sexy' [I mean nice by that]

You will still need to use a whole load of FX, but your in signal [if your recording space is sonically good] will be very good [warm]

I'm pretty sure you don't even need phantom power for most their mics [as it's built into the power source] - it's only the shotgun mic we have [actually the most expensive of the mics we bought] that needs the 48V Phantom power from somewhere to make it work...

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
That's a shame. I missed your message. Just got the NT1A second hand for 100 Euro. Maybe I will resell it in the future and go for the Shure SM7B, which is out of my price range right now. Thanks for your help.
Going second hand was a smart move!

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Yikes

Shure SM7B is great

But if you are recording in a studio situation [for best sound] than the Rode is much better [it's a condenser rather than a dynamic mic] - i.e. it needs a power source

But condensers have been studio mics for a long time, for a reason

Shure Sm7B is great - but for recording, it's a step down

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
Yikes

Shure SM7B is great

But if you are recording in a studio situation [for best sound] than the Rode is much better [it's a condenser rather than a dynamic mic] - i.e. it needs a power source

But condensers have been studio mics for a long time, for a reason

Shure Sm7B is great - but for recording, it's a step down

There is a lot of opinion in that article masquerading as objectivity...

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Well, 20+ years myself of recording experience - and I use Shure mics almost everyday

But bluntly - if I had to choose... it isn't even close - the Rode is a much better mic

You may have an argument if the mic [warmth/characteristics] doesn't suit your voice. But it would be very unlikely.

Of course you can use the Shure and it will be great. Just for recording songs - I would 100% use the Rode.

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Oh, as a note

If it's the same as the Rode NTK or K2 that I have

You will need to leave it on for 30 minutes for the valves to warm up - it is a massive difference

So the drawback is you don't want to use this mic if you want to be able to switch it straight on and start recording

Where as the Shure won't need any 'warming' up

Randomlifestylevlog

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
I have Rode NT-2. I am in a metal band and my vocalist has a wide vocal range so this is not a bad microphone! This is a condenser microphone which is better for higher ranges/its has a more sensitive frequency response.

The NT2 also has the ability to change the polar filter and its defo better than the NT1 in my opinion

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
The NT1-A is good for singing + acoustic, while the SM7B is good for narration + voiceover, but that's just me lol

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
If your budget is 100 euros (about $175 Australian dollars) then you're only real option then is the SM58. "The legendary Shure SM58 vocal microphone is designed for professional vocal use in live performance, sound reinforcement, and studio recording"

Many musicians supposedly still use it for live performances, so if you want it specifically for music and singing, you really want to go for the industry standard, and it sits in your budget and has the reputation to go along with it.

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Hey,

Beanie is a star

But in this case - I would politely suggest that SM58 is an awful choice for a studio mic

I have used SM58's at 300+ shows a year, for over a decade. They are a great LIVE gig mic.

They are built to not break, and for LIVE show mics give a great sound. But the key there is for LIVE shows they sound great.

I would NEVER use one in a studio. As you don't get anywhere near the sound quality you would with a condenser mic. And a condenser mic would be awful for a live show - as it would pick up too much of the room sound, and are not built to last if being used day in day out in a 'gigging' fashion. SM58's you can drop, sit on, use as a weapon to keep an angry audience at bay - hmm.

Maybe if you wanted to record a studio song that you wanted to have the limited sound of being a LIVE show. You may want to use SM58. Though I would still use a condenser [Rode] and then use after effects to 'limit' the range/sound to make it sound like a live gig.

The actual question - should be - which condenser mic. And that would be down to budget.

Reactions: Beanie Draws