• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Do you mind negative comments about you and your YT channel? Are you bothered about getting a dislike in your videos?

Jam0168

I am just a small youtuber with 180 subscribers yet I already encountered being bashed and literally, received bad words. I had some dislikes in my videos but this one bothered me much. I did nothing wrong in my video (I was just doing my unboxing of my order.. And I loved the items I bought), I just enjoyed and expressed myself. What I did I blocked the user and deleted the comment. However, it can't get off my mind.

Do you also have that experience? That you are being nice and all that and enjoying what you do but yet there are people who smashed you (not physically but wounded you emotionally)?

Maybe, it is for me to be stronger.

-JAM-ster Flores (my YT channel)

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I wouldn't let the haters bother you, because you can't always please everyone. I also wouldn't let the dislikes bother you too much, because it is just part of life as a YouTube creator (you get dislikes, you get hate comments). Don't let them stop you from creating the content that you love on your channel. As long as some people are enjoying your content, and they aren't commenting on something specific in your video (i.e. your video needs more light, your background music is too loud, etc) then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would recommend that you delete comments that say things like "you stink" , "no one likes your videos", etc because it makes the comment section look better.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I just got a dislike this week. And I was thrilled. Because what it meant was that for the first time I was getting view from YouTube search and recommendations versus my own sourced views. And the analytics reflected that. So I looked at it as someone got my video recommended, watched it, and didn't like it. And I'm OK with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jameel664

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am just a small youtuber with 180 subscribers yet I already encountered being bashed and literally, received bad words. I had some dislikes in my videos but this one bothered me much. I did nothing wrong in my video (I was just doing my unboxing of my order.. And I loved the items I bought), I just enjoyed and expressed myself. What I did I blocked the user and deleted the comment. However, it can't get off my mind.

Do you also have that experience? That you are being nice and all that and enjoying what you do but yet there are people who smashed you (not physically but wounded you emotionally)?

Hey there, welcome to the horror of uploading videos, no matter how nice you are and how great youΓÇÖre presenting your content to the masses, there will always be some smart *** out there waiting to troll a video with a nasty comment, never ever let these trolls bother you, theyΓÇÖre trying to bring you down to their level and get a rise out of you, so what you can do is show them that youΓÇÖre not gonna be affected by them by continuing to upload your videos, and show your positive energy and happy side in the videos too, that way when they come back theyΓÇÖll see that their horrible comments had no effect on you which then theyΓÇÖll hopefully F off.

Remember, as long as youΓÇÖre uploading, you wonΓÇÖt be able to avoid trolls, I certainly didnΓÇÖt but somehow those ended up in the spam part of my comments, and as for dislikes, so what, I got a few, boohoo, we move on and continue, because what matters is the loyal fans that stay with us on our journey and give us the likes and great comments, thatΓÇÖs what matters.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Block them, first and foremost. There are some for real a-holes out there and theres no reason for it. You need to get rid of it because you dont want that negativity sticking around.

Now the good part, there's a lot of this on YouTube and it is going to get worse. It's going to get worse because these people are jealous of what you do and the better you get the more people will try to bring you back down. But this is a sign that you are doing something right, and you are now a member of the next-level, elite club of creators who are successful to the point that someone feels the need to try and knock you down. Congrats and welcome to the club!

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Dislikes donΓÇÖt bother me, I donΓÇÖt really pay much attention to the likes or dislikes as the likes to dislikes ratio tells me nothing, just like how views donΓÇÖt necessarily tell you how much of your video was actually watched.

if the comment is negative but comes with some opinion or advice and ISNΓÇÖT an insult, I donΓÇÖt mind.
Comments about my appearance, or just ΓÇ£this video is crudΓÇ¥ I tend to delete. Sometimes I might actually ASK why they thought that way, and youΓÇÖd be surprised how often people apologise for being rude ΓÇ£sorry I didnΓÇÖt mean it, I was having a bad dayΓÇ¥ but occasionally they will keep to the rude schtick so I just delete and ban after that,

BUT if someone doesnΓÇÖt like my video and explains clearly, like too fast, too slow, too long, I speak too fast, I speak too quietly, I donΓÇÖt make enough sense etc etc, those IΓÇÖm happy to engage with, it gives me something to learn from and IΓÇÖll always thank them for the feedback.

I know itΓÇÖs popular to fight back against criticism. We all want to be told how amazing we are, but you donΓÇÖt always want to be surrounded by ΓÇ£yes peopleΓÇ¥. You do want people who are happy to tell you the truth, and if you can learn from it and get some insight from it instead of feeling sad and attacked, you can grow a lot from it.

the key is to know what is genuine criticism that you can learn from, and who are simply trolls. And this might be why the vast majority of my comments are nice and clean, and when they arenΓÇÖt compliments, theyΓÇÖre polite complaints and IΓÇÖm still more than happy to accept negative feedback.

• Wow
Reactions: Jam0168

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Dislikes do not bother me too much. For a while I had a single dislike immediately upon my video posting. This went on for a few months. I think someone was watching for it. But... that means it counted as a view (probably a short view) and an interaction (the dislike). Even trolls have their uses.

I do have a very long list of words that trigger YT to hold a comment, so they usually do not show up in the comment section anyway. Generally I will just block the user, and all their comments go away. I do not worry about the haters. I got a few of the this week (probably one user, multiple accounts). Judging from the avatar & username it was a trump troll. I blocked 4 users (a dozen or so comments) then replied to last one. They were all very similar comments - 'ugh you are not photogenic', things like that. Pretty lame trolling ha ha. The last one accused me of removing posts, which I was. But I replied and said that none of the posts added to any useful conversation, and simply demonstrated that they were a-holes. If they want to advertise that... it was confusing, but ok with me. There were no more comments.

I generally just block them but felt like responding to that one. The option to block is always there. I do not get bothered by the haters. Internet trolls are a dime a dozen and as far as I am concerned have sad little lives. They are not worth the effort.

residentcasuals

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

I'm sorry this happened but that's the internet for you. You've done the right thing blocking them and that's all you can do. I think you do have to become stronger as you have to focus on become a bigger youtube and with that territory comes the negative side of this business. Sadly negative people/comments etc. go hand in hand with success.

The best way to beat them is to rise above it. You'll be fine mate, keep going.

• Wow
Reactions: Jam0168
OP
OP
J

Jam0168

Dislikes donΓÇÖt bother me, I donΓÇÖt really pay much attention to the likes or dislikes as the likes to dislikes ratio tells me nothing, just like how views donΓÇÖt necessarily tell you how much of your video was actually watched.

if the comment is negative but comes with some opinion or advice and ISNΓÇÖT an insult, I donΓÇÖt mind.
Comments about my appearance, or just ΓÇ£this video is crudΓÇ¥ I tend to delete. Sometimes I might actually ASK why they thought that way, and youΓÇÖd be surprised how often people apologise for being rude ΓÇ£sorry I didnΓÇÖt mean it, I was having a bad dayΓÇ¥ but occasionally they will keep to the rude schtick so I just delete and ban after that,

BUT if someone doesnΓÇÖt like my video and explains clearly, like too fast, too slow, too long, I speak too fast, I speak too quietly, I donΓÇÖt make enough sense etc etc, those IΓÇÖm happy to engage with, it gives me something to learn from and IΓÇÖll always thank them for the feedback.

I know itΓÇÖs popular to fight back against criticism. We all want to be told how amazing we are, but you donΓÇÖt always want to be surrounded by ΓÇ£yes peopleΓÇ¥. You do want people who are happy to tell you the truth, and if you can learn from it and get some insight from it instead of feeling sad and attacked, you can grow a lot from it.

the key is to know what is genuine criticism that you can learn from, and who are simply trolls. And this might be why the vast majority of my comments are nice and clean, and when they arenΓÇÖt compliments, theyΓÇÖre polite complaints and IΓÇÖm still more than happy to accept negative feedback.

That's insight! Yeah, Thanks a lot!

Yeah, ban, block and delete the haters. If you're getting a few thumbs down comments, that means you're doing something right.

I think the one who commented badly about me is also the same person who dislike some of my videos.. The comment came up after I hid my video ratings..

Thanks for your words.

I'm sorry this happened but that's the internet for you. You've done the right thing blocking them and that's all you can do. I think you do have to become stronger as you have to focus on become a bigger youtube and with that territory comes the negative side of this business. Sadly negative people/comments etc. go hand in hand with success.

The best way to beat them is to rise above it. You'll be fine mate, keep going.

I really agree to you! Yeah there will always be negative people around...

Thanks a lot...

Dislikes do not bother me too much. For a while I had a single dislike immediately upon my video posting. This went on for a few months. I think someone was watching for it. But... that means it counted as a view (probably a short view) and an interaction (the dislike). Even trolls have their uses.

I do have a very long list of words that trigger YT to hold a comment, so they usually do not show up in the comment section anyway. Generally I will just block the user, and all their comments go away. I do not worry about the haters. I got a few of the this week (probably one user, multiple accounts). Judging from the avatar & username it was a trump troll. I blocked 4 users (a dozen or so comments) then replied to last one. They were all very similar comments - 'ugh you are not photogenic', things like that. Pretty lame trolling ha ha. The last one accused me of removing posts, which I was. But I replied and said that none of the posts added to any useful conversation, and simply demonstrated that they were a-holes. If they want to advertise that... it was confusing, but ok with me. There were no more comments.

I generally just block them but felt like responding to that one. The option to block is always there. I do not get bothered by the haters. Internet trolls are a dime a dozen and as far as I am concerned have sad little lives. They are not worth the effort.

It's good that you are not bothered about it.. I still have to learn it since I'm not used to it.

Thanks for sharing!

Block them, first and foremost. There are some for real a-holes out there and theres no reason for it. You need to get rid of it because you dont want that negativity sticking around.

Now the good part, there's a lot of this on YouTube and it is going to get worse. It's going to get worse because these people are jealous of what you do and the better you get the more people will try to bring you back down. But this is a sign that you are doing something right, and you are now a member of the next-level, elite club of creators who are successful to the point that someone feels the need to try and knock you down. Congrats and welcome to the club!

Wow! Thank you for that!

I just got a dislike this week. And I was thrilled. Because what it meant was that for the first time I was getting view from YouTube search and recommendations versus my own sourced views. And the analytics reflected that. So I looked at it as someone got my video recommended, watched it, and didn't like it. And I'm OK with that.

At least they got to watch it..

You're always going to see some haters, it means you're doing something right :)

Those who get no hate probably aren't getting much love either if how I see it

Yeah.. Thank you

I wouldn't let the haters bother you, because you can't always please everyone. I also wouldn't let the dislikes bother you too much, because it is just part of life as a YouTube creator (you get dislikes, you get hate comments). Don't let them stop you from creating the content that you love on your channel. As long as some people are enjoying your content, and they aren't commenting on something specific in your video (i.e. your video needs more light, your background music is too loud, etc) then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would recommend that you delete comments that say things like "you stink" , "no one likes your videos", etc because it makes the comment section look better.

Very agree! Negative Comments that are helpful need not be deleted.. Well that one I received need to. Thanks.

Hey there, welcome to the horror of uploading videos, no matter how nice you are and how great youΓÇÖre presenting your content to the masses, there will always be some smart *** out there waiting to troll a video with a nasty comment, never ever let these trolls bother you, theyΓÇÖre trying to bring you down to their level and get a rise out of you, so what you can do is show them that youΓÇÖre not gonna be affected by them by continuing to upload your videos, and show your positive energy and happy side in the videos too, that way when they come back theyΓÇÖll see that their horrible comments had no effect on you which then theyΓÇÖll hopefully F off.

Remember, as long as youΓÇÖre uploading, you wonΓÇÖt be able to avoid trolls, I certainly didnΓÇÖt but somehow those ended up in the spam part of my comments, and as for dislikes, so what, I got a few, boohoo, we move on and continue, because what matters is the loyal fans that stay with us on our journey and give us the likes and great comments, thatΓÇÖs what matters.

Yeah, very well said... Thanks for that!

Ragulsundaram

Very Well-Known Member
www.facttests.com
Subscriber Goal
To be frank I love the negative comments more than the positive ones. They give more perspective on why people might hate you. Embrace them and try changing yourself.

team 2 gils

It is going to happen, just means folks are finding and watching your content, which is good and you cannot please everyone. I let all comments ride unless they are inappropriate, then I delete them. I also delete bot/scam comments.

JavoDreams

Subscriber Goal
I tend to not let it faze me and continue what I'm doing cause I gotta be doing something right if someone is hating on me.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
To be frank I love the negative comments more than the positive ones. They give more perspective on why people might hate you. Embrace them and try changing yourself.
Or ignore them because I am happy with who I am, and really do not care what others think - especially from unsolicited strangers on a YT comment. :cool:

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I would ignore those if they are trolling me or bash me for no reason whatsoever.

Reactions: Damon

Yoyo

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
The first dislike bothered me, but after thinking about it I am OK with dislikes, because not everyone will like my content.

WV Pet Project

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
It bothers me a little bit...but, I don't dwell on it. I guess I just will never understand why, if someone doesn't like something or has something negative to say, they don't just move on. Although, all interaction with your channel helps...(if I understand correctly), so in that aspect, a dislike or a negative comment helps you more than if they did nothing.