• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question best things to put in default description

oceansofflame

Hey guys!

As best practice for growth, what is everyone putting in their default description generally?

Or do you not use this feature?

I like it because it avoids me having to copy/paste for each video upload :)

cheers

Reactions: Simple_Words_Sonal

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have all my social media links (FB, IG, Patreon, and YT Members). Then I follow that with some well marked affiliate links (got make sure the affiliate connection is clearly displayed). Then my green screen attribution.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
That is a fantastic question, and one that I have put a lot of effort into.

I have a template description that includes an immediate call-to-action to subscribe immediately followed by a series of links to various affiliate sites (which cover any questions anybody might have about the stuff we use). Next up is a link to the video that currently has gained us the most subscribers and a another to a popular playlist followed finally by contact info and music credits.

I highly encourage the use of Affiliate links, we see some solid returns from that and it can be done at just about any level of growth you are currently at. That having been said be mindful that Amazon require you to make multiple sales in a 90 day timeframe. It's ok if you don't; you will simply need to make a new account. But when you do that you will need to go back and update your affiliate links in EVERY video that featured them... that can be daunting so be organized and prepared for this in advance.

Also I suggest using a link shortener to keep your description tidy. The last thing you want is to finally get someone down into your description to look at affiliate links only to lose them because it's a disorganized mess.

Reactions: oceansofflame

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
That is a fantastic question, and one that I have put a lot of effort into.

I have a template description that includes an immediate call-to-action to subscribe immediately followed by a series of links to various affiliate sites (which cover any questions anybody might have about the stuff we use). Next up is a link to the video that currently has gained us the most subscribers and a another to a popular playlist followed finally by contact info and music credits.

I highly encourage the use of Affiliate links, we see some solid returns from that and it can be done at just about any level of growth you are currently at. That having been said be mindful that Amazon require you to make multiple sales in a 90 day timeframe. It's ok if you don't; you will simply need to make a new account. But when you do that you will need to go back and update your affiliate links in EVERY video that featured them... that can be daunting so be organized and prepared for this in advance.

Also I suggest using a link shortener to keep your description tidy. The last thing you want is to finally get someone down into your description to look at affiliate links only to lose them because it's a disorganized mess.

That's more or less how I do it.

First line is my subscribe call to action with the ?sub_confirmation=1 thing at the end
second line is mentioning my gaming channel which I've done next to nothing with yet lol

third section is my "sawag" and merch

4th section is my amazing affiliate store
then my affiliate disclaimer

then last I have my socials attached.

Just keep in mind, any email you decide to attach, you WILL get scams and spam sent to, and if it's a hotmail email, you'll see constant login attempts so generally I'd advise against having an email in your description just to avoid the scammers and spammers.

I include my instagram and twitter, that way if anyone wants to reach out for business, I can vett them a bit easier.

I've started going through older videos to be sure to add some playlist links and related video links as well.

Also, never underestimate the power of emojis for the description section. I borrowed Nick Nimmin's description for inspiration for my layout and emoji use.

(oh, but in terms of link shorteners, make sure it's a known one. I actually avoid link shorteners because I can't be sure where the link is going to take me otherwise and there's a trust issue there, so I tend to NOT click shortened links, so thus, I don't really include shortened links in my description either)

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

SonicNebula

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Legend
Hey guys!

As best practice for growth, what is everyone putting in their default description generally?

Or do you not use this feature?

I like it because it avoids me having to copy/paste for each video upload :)

cheers

I have a music channel and i have to use SEO at my advantage. I copy and paste off word documents, they change when artist or album changes. But Here is the difference. I state what I am doing I state what the video is I state the music, I think go deeper into the artist. Not only does this explain to viewers what is going on and it is very informative the goal is to put a insight on the artist, I want the artist to get clicks, They allowed me to use their music its only fair. I want my videos to connect them to music, but that being said. there is a second part to this. the more value of the text and word count as long as its good information and relative to the topic it weighs your SEO to a higher ranking. At least in good this is how it works, and what i have been told YT and Google search programming IS VERY SIMILIAR. So I try to get a word count and explain relative information about the subject matter at hand not only for engagement but for better SEO scoring.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
(oh, but in terms of link shorteners, make sure it's a known one. I actually avoid link shorteners because I can't be sure where the link is going to take me otherwise and there's a trust issue there, so I tend to NOT click shortened links, so thus, I don't really include shortened links in my description either)
Same here. I do not click on links that I do not know where they are going. So, since I do click on short links, I do not use them. I know they are popular... but no, thanks.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws