• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Face or Faceless channel. which is Best??

Which brings more views and Subs?

• Face Channel

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Faceless Channel

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Both

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

NattyRockz

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I do faceless cooking Channel but have seen few channels with no proper Thumbnail and no proper title and video quality also not that good but still they get more subs and views.
Is Faceless channel a negative point??
Any reasons for that.

MiddleofKnowhere

Subscriber Goal
I do a mixture. Even big channels do a mixture. I think it just depends on the subject matter though, IMO. Having said that, I think having your audience see you let's them connect with you better. Especially if you taste something you've made and it's delicious. Seeing that facial expression could be very good for your channel. Look at the cooking shows of old and now, camera is both face on and top-down allowing people to see the cook and what is being cooked during cuts. This might be harder to do without multiple cameras and/or helpers.

Regarding thumbnails: my philosophy is to let the product be the focus and not my face, especially since my channel isn't very big. I don't have any face recognition or resonance with viewers (yet), so again I'd rather have the product or topic be the focus visually. Also there have been thumbnail trends that viewers have loved and loathed, so pay attention to those as well. Finally just see what similar channels are doing and emulate those to begin until you find your own voice.

When it does come to the thumbnail, realize you have very limited space, you need to make sure the thumbnail can still be easily seen at around 18% of 100 (when set to 1280x720 resolution), and that any wording you might include also can be read at that size and also doesn't get in the way of your subject overly much.

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought. :)

residentcasuals

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
We would do a face channel as soon as we get the equipment. I do think its the better of the two.

CelticSpike

I am struggling with this question too. I have been at this a few months now and not really getting any traction and not sure if putting myself on camera is going to help much at the moment.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, it isn't about a face or no face. It's about telling stories, helping people, and connecting with your audience. Do those things first. Worry about a face later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NattyRockz

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
We would do a face channel as soon as we get the equipment. I do think its the better of the two.
Thanks for replying and sharing your thoughts.

Well, it isn't about a face or no face. It's about telling stories, helping people, and connecting with you audience. Do those things first. Worry about a face later.
Thanks for your suggestions.

I do a mixture. Even big channels do a mixture. I think it just depends on the subject matter though, IMO. Having said that, I think having your audience see you let's them connect with you better. Especially if you taste something you've made and it's delicious. Seeing that facial expression could be very good for your channel. Look at the cooking shows of old and now, camera is both face on and top-down allowing people to see the cook and what is being cooked during cuts. This might be harder to do without multiple cameras and/or helpers.

Regarding thumbnails: my philosophy is to let the product be the focus and not my face, especially since my channel isn't very big. I don't have any face recognition or resonance with viewers (yet), so again I'd rather have the product or topic be the focus visually. Also there have been thumbnail trends that viewers have loved and loathed, so pay attention to those as well. Finally just see what similar channels are doing and emulate those to begin until you find your own voice.

When it does come to the thumbnail, realize you have very limited space, you need to make sure the thumbnail can still be easily seen at around 18% of 100 (when set to 1280x720 resolution), and that any wording you might include also can be read at that size and also doesn't get in the way of your subject overly much.

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought. :)
Thanks for your wonderful thoughts.

kitchen c/o ammama

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Well, it isn't about a face or no face. It's about telling stories, helping people, and connecting with your audience. Do those things first. Worry about a face later.
100% agree!!!!!

I have seen both cooking channels and it's all about connection to audience. Both channels have totally different methods but have one thing in common - Connection!

Beanie Draws

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Depends on your niche and what you're trying to do thematically/creatively. Some videos that don't show their faces can come across as a bit cringey, but some channels are very informational and don't necessarily NEED faces. HowToBasic has never done a face reveal, Klayton Fioriti is a very successful Jurassic Wold channel who has rarely, if ever shown up in his videos, but he doesn't need to because his videos are more assignment studies and he uses stock photos to explain things. The Infographics Show is purely animatics and animation, so do showing up in videos in person would be a bit jarring stylistically, and of course there's channels that just share their thoughts and opinions over gaming footage. That said, if you don't show up on camera, you want your videos to be very interesting in topic, and I dare say, you want an extra special voice.

I don't show up in my videos very much, I mostly just talk and I'm lucky to get above 20-30% audience retention, so it could be said my voice is annoying and I MIGHT be better off showing my face on camera.

It's up to you, but if you never show up on camera, you are able to play on a gimmick of a face reveal, but in some situations, it can be too gimmicky. If a video isn't that interesting and is more of a slide show, I might be less likely to watch the full thing.

EnglishwithLiz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Depends on the face....... only joking.

As @Damon said, it is all about audience engagement, which in the majority of cases will be about creating that personal connection which is far more easily achieved by showing your 'boat race' :)

Ater

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
It really depends on your videos, what you focus on and how you present it. Some videos wouldn't work without a face others are much better without one. As soon as you add a face it takes attention from what you are showing, if that adds to the channel (your reaction, how you tell a story etc) use one, but if it just adds an unnecessary distraction from the important stuff of the video don't add one.

For reaction videos I always prefer a face, for tutorials most of the time they are better without a face since then I'm in risk wathcing the face instead of what you actually show that I want to learn.

OP
OP
N

NattyRockz

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Depends on your niche and what you're trying to do thematically/creatively. Some videos that don't show their faces can come across as a bit cringey, but some channels are very informational and don't necessarily NEED faces. HowToBasic has never done a face reveal, Klayton Fioriti is a very successful Jurassic Wold channel who has rarely, if ever shown up in his videos, but he doesn't need to because his videos are more assignment studies and he uses stock photos to explain things. The Infographics Show is purely animatics and animation, so do showing up in videos in person would be a bit jarring stylistically, and of course there's channels that just share their thoughts and opinions over gaming footage. That said, if you don't show up on camera, you want your videos to be very interesting in topic, and I dare say, you want an extra special voice.

I don't show up in my videos very much, I mostly just talk and I'm lucky to get above 20-30% audience retention, so it could be said my voice is annoying and I MIGHT be better off showing my face on camera.

It's up to you, but if you never show up on camera, you are able to play on a gimmick of a face reveal, but in some situations, it can be too gimmicky. If a video isn't that interesting and is more of a slide show, I might be less likely to watch the full thing.
Thanks for your thoughts

OP
OP
N

NattyRockz

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
It really depends on your videos, what you focus on and how you present it. Some videos wouldn't work without a face others are much better without one. As soon as you add a face it takes attention from what you are showing, if that adds to the channel (your reaction, how you tell a story etc) use one, but if it just adds an unnecessary distraction from the important stuff of the video don't add one.

For reaction videos I always prefer a face, for tutorials most of the time they are better without a face since then I'm in risk wathcing the face instead of what you actually show that I want to learn.
Thanks Ater

Maryprecious

Known Member
I will say it depends on your content but if you must do a face video, ensure you use a quality editing video app that will project your face properly to avoid chasing your audience instead of bringing in new ones. My opinion :cool:

Stanley Orchard

Subscriber Goal
I am not a fan of pigeon-holing anything, especially early on. Questions like this dont point you in the direction of a correct answer so much as they alienate an option.

The best thing you can do is experiment... try different formats. Always improve what you do and see how your audience responds. Absolutely nothing will give you a better answer than that.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I do faceless cooking Channel but have seen few channels with no proper Thumbnail and no proper title and video quality also not that good but still they get more subs and views.
Is Faceless channel a negative point??
Any reasons for that.
Really depends the strength of the content. I've seen large channels on both sides of this. I like faces, but when I started I DIDN'T Show my face shocker, but it really depends what YOU as the creative want to do. I think as long as you're happy it's good!

OP
OP
N

NattyRockz

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Really depends the strength of the content. I've seen large channels on both sides of this. I like faces, but when I started I DIDN'T Show my face shocker, but it really depends what YOU as the creative want to do. I think as long as you're happy it's good!
Thanks Andrew