• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Why did you start a YouTube Channel?

EnglishwithLiz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Well I'll kick this of by giving my reasons

I know I can teach and I love it, so I wanted to see if I could switch from classroom to YT - and what a learning curve it has been! I also wanted a project with my husband that we could work on together. I do the teaching, writing etc and he is on the editing side with us both working on marketing. So far it is working well and bringing us closer together.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I'm at the end of a long career in technology. For the last 10+ years I've been in global roles. Mostly I do evangelism, but more and more I have found myself teaching local teams some fairly basic professional skills. The problem stems from the fact that when budgets get tight, the first thing to go is training, and the training that remains is often just the mandatory regulatory training and technology training. It doesn't matter where you are in the world, the lack of professional development is a real problem.

A few years ago people started recording my sessions. And started asking me to record the sessions. But I didn't really have an outlet for that content. So in August, I started recording and publishing videos on the topics people have asked me to speak on.

OP
OP
EnglishwithLiz

EnglishwithLiz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
A few years ago people started recording my sessions. And started asking me to record the sessions. But I didn't really have an outlet for that content. So in August, I started recording and publishing videos on the topics people have asked me to speak on.
Are you marketing your channel through Linkedin, as I would have thought that would be the ideal platform

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Are you marketing your channel through Linkedin, as I would have thought that would be the ideal platform
Funny story.

100% of my views were coming from LinkedIn. What led me to TubeBuddy was the realization that I wasn't optimizing for SEO and wasn't optimizing the keywords to get to people outside of LinkedIn.

What sold me on TubeBuddy was being able to immediately see views and subscribers coming from places other than LinkedIn.

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Back in late 2012 I used to game on a regular basic together witch people from work and some friends. We wanted to record our boss kills and I was one of very few in our group with a good enough computer to do that. ThatΓÇÖs how my channel started. No aim for anyone but our little group of friends to watch the videos.

A few years later I made a few public videos with the aim for people to actually watch them. At the end of 2017 YouTube started to become a hobby of mine and I started to take it a bit more serious (learning how YT actually work, the algorithm, thumbnails, seo etc). IΓÇÖm a teacher myself, thatΓÇÖs probably one of the reasons that tutorials are by far my most popular content.

LouisFrost

Aspiring Hero
TubeBuddy User
I started in 2013-2014ish back then with a different youtube account. over the years I have had my fairshare of youtube experiences but it really never worked out.

I started youtube because I had a passion and looked up to one of the top's, Pewdiepie, Markiplier, Yamimash, RadBrad. and etc..

Passion included,
-Being one of the top youtubers in my country (Philippines)
-Try to show my artistic side.
-Show off my voice (ironically, I dont do commentary in my channel now.)
-Donate to children's charity and mental health orgs.

During the years I have had a falling out and im a frustrated youtuber, meaning I really want to make it but I always have had problems keeping to consistency.

I started this youtube channel because I really, really want to get back to youtube but I now have a 9 month old son and it is really hard to upload with commentary so I decided to create a channel without one which leans more towards high definition cinematic gameplay's with rich story.

I still have the same passion but its not a goal anymore. Im just here to have fun and not aim anymore higher than that from what my youngself failed at doing.

Delightball

Subscriber Goal
I started in 2007 with a different YouTube user account because I watched videos and listened to all kinds of music (including R&B, rock, pop, video game/movie soundtracks) as my hobby. In 2018, I posted the videos without commentary on my gaming channel so everyone can see them. I created another channel because it was based on my lifestyle, including blogs, beauty, entertainment, etc. with my another account.

HalfwayDcent

I started because I had absolutely zero courage to share my creativity with people in my life. (Which is still kind of true but I'm trying really hard to get over it). I was writing music all the time and it would just sit on my computer. I cared so much about what I was doing. Posting on youtube was a way for me to start to open up about sharing things that were important to me. Hopefully the more I do it the more I will learn to share in my everyday life too!

HalfwayDcent

I started in 2013-2014ish back then with a different youtube account. over the years I have had my fairshare of youtube experiences but it really never worked out.

I started youtube because I had a passion and looked up to one of the top's, Pewdiepie, Markiplier, Yamimash, RadBrad. and etc..

Passion included,
-Being one of the top youtubers in my country (Philippines)
-Try to show my artistic side.
-Show off my voice (ironically, I dont do commentary in my channel now.)
-Donate to children's charity and mental health orgs.

During the years I have had a falling out and im a frustrated youtuber, meaning I really want to make it but I always have had problems keeping to consistency.

I started this youtube channel because I really, really want to get back to youtube but I now have a 9 month old son and it is really hard to upload with commentary so I decided to create a channel without one which leans more towards high definition cinematic gameplay's with rich story.

I still have the same passion but its not a goal anymore. Im just here to have fun and not aim anymore higher than that from what my youngself failed at doing.

I understand the parts of this discussing frustration and falling out. I had a very similar experience. I enjoyed making videos but became overly critical of myself and didn't want to post something that wasn't perfect. I think the reason why you do something is important, like you mentioned. You should do things because you enjoy them and every other reason should be secondary. Im really glad that you have decided to conquer that and get back into it! I'm trying to do the same.
Also what part of the Philippines are you from if you don't mind me asking? Just curious because my husband is from Cebu. Hope everything works out and you stay motivated!

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I uploaded for a bit with my older sister on a shared channel before I was uploading on my current channel and then I decided I wanted my own. The channel I have shared with my channel actually has about 10,500 subscribers right now, but I wanted to create my own content and not having to worry about if my sister wanted it up on that other channel or not because this channel I'm uploading on now is mine. I'm mainly uploading for a hobby because I've enjoyed creating videos and editing them for a while now, and I wouldn't wanna rely on youtube as my only source of income. I'm also still a teen, so I upload while keeping up with school. While uploading for fun and enjoying seeing the numbers keep rising, I'm kinda making a bit of a challenge out of it because I'm trying to get to the point where I have more subs on this channel than I do on the channel I've shared with my sister.

LouisFrost

Aspiring Hero
TubeBuddy User
I understand the parts of this discussing frustration and falling out. I had a very similar experience. I enjoyed making videos but became overly critical of myself and didn't want to post something that wasn't perfect. I think the reason why you do something is important, like you mentioned. You should do things because you enjoy them and every other reason should be secondary. Im really glad that you have decided to conquer that and get back into it! I'm trying to do the same.
Also what part of the Philippines are you from if you don't mind me asking? Just curious because my husband is from Cebu. Hope everything works out and you stay motivated!

100% Agree.

Im all the way in Luzon, Paranaque.

Cebu is in the Visayas region. Ive been hearing that they are stricter there during these times as cases seem to overflow on a daily basis. I do hope your Husband keeps safe and to you as well.

Reactions: Meal with me

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I started because one of the people I watch did a thank you video for hitting 100k subscribers and she told us about her journey. Her life looked amazing and at the end of the video, she said "if you're thinking about starting a channel then just do it". This pondered about in my head for a few days and YouTube seemed kinda glamourous and an easy way to make money and get free stuff!!!!
I quickly learned it wasn't as glamorous as she made it look, it certainly wasn't easy and I'm yet to make a penny from it, BUT, once I started it wasn't about making money anymore, I enjoyed documenting my travels, showing other people what we got up to and helping other people to see what they could expect if they went there. I got lots of comments like 'thanks for showing us this hotel it helped me decide to stay there', and 'we weren't sure if this park was any good but now we can't wait to visit, thanks'. It's also been great watching my children grow up on screen and my daughter loves watching herself on TV.
Looking back I started my channel with the wrong intentions and I learned the hard way it wasn't the path to gold and glory. Would I change it, no, I just wish I had started my channel earlier because we had so many holidays that would have been interesting to film. I wouldn't be taking it as seriously as I am now if I hadn't made a lot of mistakes getting here and learning from those mistakes. I'm glad I didn't give up when the going got tough, it just made me more determined to do better next time.

floatwithme

TubeBuddy Pro
Hi my friends,

I started my channel from zero subscribers. Being active for years on Youtube but not working so much with it.
The reason, I was occupied for on different social media and showing my work.

One of these Social Media Platforms are: SoundCloud, MixCloud, Reverbnation etc.

I discovered that these platforms only had my music, without any film. While composing the film was inside my head.
Now I was looking for a better combination and combing best of both worlds, rediscovered Youtube.

So what do I do on a regular time:

1. Doing a collab with other music creatives (done a lot's in past on SoundCloud)
2. Combining film with music (Drone films about Nature) giving a new creative feeling to such a film and making a customized soundtrack for friends.
3. Combining my own creative feeling with my compositions to film.
3. Looking after my beautiful friends on the channel community and trying to give attention to everyone who responds to my creative work
4. Browsing Youtube to find same intrest groups, sharing thoughts
5. Making new friends from many different branches in the composing industry, on Facebook, Twitter or different platforms.
6. Focus on building out my little coummunity at my channel, and let people experience a comfortable being at "home" feeling while listening and watching
7. Trying to have a regular schedule of content, only with the creative aspect that is sometimes difficult, you cant be creative 24/7

For me as a composer/musician the best compliment you can have is, when someone is really moved what your story is trying to tell with music and film.

The way of composing music for me is like painting a wall with Notes. I always start with a blank one, I can never tell what will come out of this process in advance, maybe thats the great thing about letting intuition take its path, and improvising is so great.

The most important advise I can give you: doing things that you really like to do in life.

If you do have the time, feel free to come and visit my channel, listen and when intrested subscribe, hit the bell for updates.

Thanks for taking the time to read my little story, why I decided to starta Youtube Channel.

See you there !!

Cheers
Ray (Floatwithme)

CelticSpike

TubeBuddy Pro
it was a mix of things for me. the intro video on my channel is accurate in that I love video-games, but I don't like what the industry has become and i wanted to spend time playing older great games that i missed the first time round.
I also love emulation and how it allows us to revisit older games with the bonuses that modern emulators provide. I figured there must be someone out there that would enjoy seeing me play these older games and how I react to them as a newbie and maybe show off why I think emulation is really important. being successful with the channel would be nice, and getting monetized one day would rock, but at the end of the day I will still be playing all these games anyway so why not keep making videos out of it.