• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question What do you find the most challenging aspect of YouTube (don't say getting subs or views)

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
This is more a general question, a bit like the "What are you listening to" or in our games section "give one word related to YouTube"

I'm in deep with my captioning and it takes an incredibly long time to get done, so that would be my biggest frustration/challenge at the moment.

What do YOU find most frustrating/challenging about YouTube, and make it interesting. Please don't go with the obvious "getting subs" or "not enough views" Some of us find on screen presence to be challenging, remembering what you want to say on camera, time management, being less shy etc. I'm interested to know what you find most challenging that you're working on improving.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Since I do a fishing vlog my content can only ever be as good as the trips I am able to accomplish and the fish I am able to catch. So winter sucks, and those times when we put together a string of crappy expeditions it really takes the wind out of our sails. It's demoralizing when you go months without the physical ability to put out the video you really want to make. So that is difficult. We push through, we continue to have fun and we use those times as an opportunity to experiment with our content. But basing an entire channel around an experience that we are lucky to do 20 times per year requires a strict regime, planning and a healthy dose of luck.

Reactions: Damon

EnglishwithLiz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Video subjects. I teach English, so super competitive, and although there are lots of subjects they have all been covered. So trying to pick subjects that I can put 'my twist' on is actually quite difficult and end up going down a lot of rabbit holes.

• Love
Reactions: atmusictv and Damon

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
To stay consistent. My motivation go up and down and also my IRL schedule goes up and down. I have periods where I publish a lot of videos, often more or less daily and then periods where I don't publish any.

During 2018 I had a 4 months break.
During 2019 I did better and had no really long gap.
During 2020 I had a 5 months break.

I can only imagine where my channel would be today without the long breaks.

Honourable mention: I'm not a native English speaker but I do my videos in English. A lot of people prefer the voice in the videos to be a native speaker. I prefer that myself.

Last edited:

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have created one entertaining character in my videos . The character comes once in a while. My audience love that character.

I want to portray that character more often but the character comes with a skit.

It frustrates me not getting the right skit to portray it.

My most great ideas comes in my bathroom / washroom. I at times purposefully go into my bathroom or washroom ..start at the walls and start to think. Maybe the energy there is high.

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
To begin with, it was confidence on camera, I thought it would be a lot easier having spent 20 years on stage, in front of 1000s of people, but it was completely different being solo on camera and I would quickly forget what I wanted to say.
Then I was watching a lot of help videos and trying to put all their teachings into practice, but some of it was conflicting and I think all the chopping and changing stunted my growth.
Right now I feel like I have the tools to grow but I can't make the content I want to because of COVID restrictions - this is probably the most frustrating time because I know what I want/need to do but I'm being held back by things out of my control.

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I would quickly forget what I wanted to say.

I sometimes have a script next to me. Then I can stop and just read the script for a new seconds when I need to and then continue. Afterwards I just edit out all breaks.

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thanks @Ater it feels a bit more natural now. A lot of my filming is on the go and outside, generally, I don't have time to script too much, but I think my personality is coming out more in my latest videos - which may or may not be a good thing :p

Reactions: Damon and Ater

EnglishwithLiz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Honourable mention: I'm not a native English speaker but I do my videos in English. A lot of people prefer the voice in the videos to be a native speaker. I prefer that myself.
Hi @Ater Just had a peek at your channel and the Imperator videos are clearly the ones gaining traction. Your English is very good and my first reaction when I read your post was, as long as it is good content then people will not worry. However when I listened, I misunderstood some of the words due to the pronunciation. I suspect some of this will be due to me not being familiar with the terms being used in the game. So if you want to improve, I would first concentrate on the key words in the game and go from there. If you want PM me your nationality and I can outline some of the sounds to work on. BTW, you have a nice relaxed way of presenting :)

• Love
Reactions: Ater

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Well, since I make oil painting videos, those arenΓÇÖt exactly offering the luxury of getting more content out, add on the fact that IΓÇÖve been raising my girl this year, having to work around her daily unpredictable schedule, meant much less got done, which meant much less got posted, so for me my struggle was just getting the videos made and on my channel, but considering the wave of resistance going against me, I still managed to get 25 videos on, and got 70 something subscribers, thatΓÇÖs already a great achievement for me :blush:

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Everything @Stanley Orchard said. For my specific fishing channel I focus of the storytelling more than action. As such my fishing adventures become true documentary films. The problem there is it takes a lot more time in editing and color grading to produce even a single fishing episode. The higher my production values, the longer it takes to produce a video. The artist in me refuses to put out crappy content.

Secondly I compose all my own music. Sometimes the patch I have on my modular synth simply isn't working. That delays things even further. It can take a couple weeks to get a good patch sometimes.

Thirdly because of the seasonal nature of fishing, I've considered focusing on my second channel Black Warrior Lures Studio Edition where I'm teaching people how to make fishing videos and build a fishing YouTube channel during the off season. Running two YouTube channels has proven difficult.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Hi @Ater Just had a peek at your channel and the Imperator videos are clearly the ones gaining traction. Your English is very good and my first reaction when I read your post was, as long as it is good content then people will not worry. However when I listened, I misunderstood some of the words due to the pronunciation. I suspect some of this will be due to me not being familiar with the terms being used in the game. So if you want to improve, I would first concentrate on the key words in the game and go from there. If you want PM me your nationality and I can outline some of the sounds to work on. BTW, you have a nice relaxed way of presenting :)

Thanks Liz!
The worst part is that most of the times I know how it's supposed to be pronounced and I have pronounced the word correctly many times in the past but then as I say it while recording I realize while I'm saying the word that I'm pronouncing it wrong. I had to rerecord many sentences in the past because of this. :oops:

It's actually a bit funny since every now and then viewers comments asking where I'm from based on my accent and they often guess and a favourite of mine was someone from the UK that wrote something like: "at first I thought you where from Welsh but then I got unsure and thought maybe Dutch or German, but then you said an Australian word now I don't know what to believe". But most people correctly guess that I'm from a Scandinavian country.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: EnglishwithLiz

Jarvis Phan

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
For me, since I create piano covers, my main challenge is trying to balance my daily life and do YouTube at the same time. I have to spend a tremendous amount of time to practice a song or piece in order to have it ready to be recorded with no mistakes. Depending on the type of music cover I'm doing, I need to mix, and edit my performance with the special effects and have it ready to launch within a certain day of the week. It's definitely not easy doing YouTube. :oops:

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
To begin with, it was confidence on camera, I thought it would be a lot easier having spent 20 years on stage, in front of 1000s of people, but it was completely different being solo on camera and I would quickly forget what I wanted to say.

I empathize with this quite a bit. I've been an evangelist for major tech companies for quite a while and speak globally at conferences and in large-room settings quite a bit. Much of my technique is based on "reading the room" and adjusting on the fly. Not to mention the stage techniques of exaggerating movements, etc. Even when I've recorded videos in the past it has been in front of a production crew.

Now I sit in a room alone and talk to a camera. There is no feedback at all. It is a very different process. And if I exaggerate my movements I look like a crazy person...

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Then I was watching a lot of help videos and trying to put all their teachings into practice, but some of it was conflicting and I think all the chopping and changing stunted my growth.
Right now I feel like I have the tools to grow but I can't make the content I want to because of COVID restrictions - this is probably the most frustrating time because I know what I want/need to do but I'm being held back by things out of my control.

Ah! COVID might be hampering your ability but i encourage you to utilize this opportunity to force yourself into a different mindset. What CAN you do? What videos CAN you make? This could be a chance to really step outside your comfort zone and learn new styles, tricks etc.

Reactions: Kari B

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Everything @Stanley Orchard said. For my specific fishing channel I focus of the storytelling more than action. As such my fishing adventures become true documentary films. The problem there is it takes a lot more time in editing and color grading to produce even a single fishing episode. The higher my production values, the longer it takes to produce a video. The artist in me refuses to put out crappy content.

Secondly I compose all my own music. Sometimes the patch I have on my modular synth simply isn't working. That delays things even further. It can take a couple weeks to get a good patch sometimes.

Thirdly because of the seasonal nature of fishing, I've considered focusing on my second channel Black Warrior Lures Studio Edition where I'm teaching people how to make fishing videos and build a fishing YouTube channel during the off season. Running two YouTube channels has proven difficult.

Have you considered doing a seperate playlist (maybe winter specific) on how to make lures? I know its a lot of work doing a second channel but man i would enjoy that content.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, usually I do a lot of fly tying videos and such during winter. Right now my heart is for the second channel. I may pivot the main channel for mostly hero type content.