• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Question Which comes first - content or optimized title?

Gary L

Just wondering how most of you do this...

You have a video topic in mind.

Do you optimize the title or shoot the video first?
If you are unable to get a good score for various versions of your title, do you still go ahead and shoot the video?

As for me, I use to prioritize my content list based on my scores. But lately, I create the content first because it's my passion. Then I optimize the title the best I can.

Bob the Canadian

TubeBuddy Pro
Sometimes I make videos I know people will like. I make videos that I want to make. Sometimes I make videos that I think will rank well. The path forward is to make videos, then make more.

Stanley Orchard

Subscriber Goal
We are a family-fishing themed vlog, so we kinda go where the action takes us and we let the events of the day unfold as they would and then cater the metadata to suite. That having been said if we have a trending topic or I come across a magic keyword phrase we will go into the day know that there needs to be emphasis on that for the subject matter of the video. So mostly we let the day dictate the metadata, but we will adjust accordingly in order to optimize the video.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal

If you are unable to get a good score for various versions of your title, do you still go ahead and shoot the video?

As for me, I use to prioritize my content list based on my scores. But lately, I create the content first because it's my passion. Then I optimize the title the best I can.
Do the keyword research first. If you make a video and later find out no one is looking for it, that's not TB's or YT's fault. I optimize the video for search to see if their is interest, and then I go from there. Another thing that can happen when doing keyword research is you find a better video to make based on questions people are looking for.

MyBlocksStrongestMan

Familiar Member

I have always shot my videos first, but that doesn't mean I'm right. :) It's a similar situation to what you describe. I make the videos because they are my passion. However, there is no reason that I can't get my passion in front of more people so I'm starting to try the approach of optimizing keywords first and then speaking them during the video to see how well that works out. My latest video seemed to work out with those things aligned somewhat by accident and it performed far better than all my other videos. I had almost 13 times as many views in the first 11 hours as the next best performing video.