• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Would you give me advice on the Thumbnail and whether you find the video entertaining

Jenny G

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Reactions: Deanna and Brian

MelRom

Hello Jenny, I can't read the title immediately from the thumbnail, maybe try to lower it up or down (the youtube button somewhat mask it)

cheers

Reactions: Jenny G

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
@Jenny G
I'm not too fond of this thumbnail... the picture is great but actual comprises very little of the overall composition. There is too much going on... the graphics at the sides in combination with the text (which is slightly more difficult to read and kinda gets lost) with the doubled-photograph... it's a lot to take in with very little value being expressed. While it looks professional, it is very active and doesn't really stop the scroll.

What I would suggest; before you publish this (if possible) do a search for your video. Take a look at the videos you are going to be competing against. You want to look for the following:

1) What is everybody doing that seems to be working for everyone?
2) What should you copy/incorporate in your own thumbnail
3) What are things that they are failing at that you can improve?
4) And MOST importantly is there something that you can do to stand out against the sea of other thumbs?

A good example of this; my highest performing thumbnail was the result of me looking at what everyone was doing in search at a particular lake we visited. Everyone had gorgeous, beautiful pictures of the lake. Blue skies and clear green water... every single photo was some different photo of blue skies and clear green water. So wore a RED shirt to the lake.

The video gets 24% retention, on of the worst on my channel. And yet today it is the best performing video on my channel because the CTR is insane and I own that search term. Because I wore a red shirt.

OP
OP
Jenny G

Jenny G

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
@Jenny G
I'm not too fond of this thumbnail... the picture is great but actual comprises very little of the overall composition. There is too much going on... the graphics at the sides in combination with the text (which is slightly more difficult to read and kinda gets lost) with the doubled-photograph... it's a lot to take in with very little value being expressed. While it looks professional, it is very active and doesn't really stop the scroll.

What I would suggest; before you publish this (if possible) do a search for your video. Take a look at the videos you are going to be competing against. You want to look for the following:

1) What is everybody doing that seems to be working for everyone?
2) What should you copy/incorporate in your own thumbnail
3) What are things that they are failing at that you can improve?
4) And MOST importantly is there something that you can do to stand out against the sea of other thumbs?

A good example of this; my highest performing thumbnail was the result of me looking at what everyone was doing in search at a particular lake we visited. Everyone had gorgeous, beautiful pictures of the lake. Blue skies and clear green water... every single photo was some different photo of blue skies and clear green water. So wore a RED shirt to the lake.

The video gets 24% retention, on of the worst on my channel. And yet today it is the best performing video on my channel because the CTR is insane and I own that search term. Because I wore a red shirt.

Thank you so much for the feedback, IΓÇÖll definitely consider your advice!

Hello Jenny, I can't read the title immediately from the thumbnail, maybe try to lower it up or down (the youtube button somewhat mask it)

cheers
Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Donnell Stidhum

Hey There,

I'm a little confused in the beginning and if I wasn't watching to give feedback i would have likely clicked away because it took a really long time for you to start talking about the food. I saw more about your dog and dog food than i did about what you eat or much about you. It's also hard to watch when someone keeps saying "And then"... or "And now I'm going to"... especially when the step are so close together.

Maryprecious

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
Just viewed your video and I'm a new viewer, I won't continue because you stated by saying you are going to show me what you eat but the first fews seconds was all about dog and cat food. Not a cool way to start. My opinion

serka

Hi for me some part of your video has over saturated colours. Also some of your videos especially last video has a lot of room echo. These can be fixed easily. Good luck

SonicNebula

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Legend
thumbnail wise id get rid of the sides, and the bowl of food, get rid of mirror image use the image natural form. with u in center keep the text on top then on bottom, or something more catchy like Guess What I eat? or just Eating Simple or Eating smart. I dunno. just simplify. as far as video content you are fine. nothing wrong with video itself. side note clipping in a photo of the dog with you on either side might be good. people love their dogs.

chupadoodles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi Jenny G,

For the video, I loved that you showed your pets and I can tell that you love them a lot - I love my pets too. Since the focus of this video is on the food, I think maybe the shots of your food could be clearer! I always like seeing clear and close up shots of food and maybe with some text so that my attention at that moment would be heightened. Since the shots between breakfast/snack/lunch and etc. are quite short, maybe you could show a few shots of you working out - to change up the scenery. Nice video though I like Uncle Ben's rices as well :).

For the thumbnail, I realise I have a tendency to click on videos with close up shots of abs and with a very bold title!

Cheers.

Bigjesticles35

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hi Jenny,
I am only just starting starting out myself so my feedback is mainly from a viewers perspective. The image on your thumbnail is great. Its high quality and a positive eye capturing image but it's impact kind of gets lost by the fact that the thumbnail is so busy. As others have suggested, I would stick with the single image and remove the side borders. A black or dark background would make the image pop and the title in a more bold easier to read font would work great. Keep up the good work and Good luck with your channel!

Jess