• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Sub 4 Sub: Why It Should Be Avoided

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
@Stanley Orchard I don't understand why they bother, I haven't spent days filming, editing, etc for no one to watch my videos. All that aggressive sub4subbing would be better spent actually making decent videos. If they want vanity subscribers who won't watch their videos then they should just buy them - I lot less effort.
I'm in this now for the long haul, I may not be great, and my videos could definitely be improved as I learn more tools and tricks, but I'll be honest, I do sit here a little smugly knowing my subscribers are real - I may not have as many, but at least they watch and interact and that's what is important to me. :)

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
i worked with bands for many years. And any band will tell you that 'superfans' are where it's at. Fans come and go, they may lose interest and offer a simple, minimal amount of passion for your work.

Superfans buy your products, they follow all the social media and they get excited every time you're around.

You are building a foundation of followers vastly more valuable than what any of these sub4sub dinguses could ever imagine. Keep doing what you are doing... you are doing it right.

Reactions: Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
@Stanley Orchard I don't use Instagram nearly as much as I should. I can spend hours on YouTube but I get bored of Instagram after ten minutes. I know a couple of YouTubers who are now Instagramers because they didn't like YouTube anymore, I guess it's changed a lot over the past five years.

• Haha

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
@DamoΓÇÖs Paintings I've had a little bit better luck with Instagram - when I remember to use it. People who have followed me on there tend to then sub on YouTube. I rubbish at self-promotion and marketing - I hate asking people nicely, I can't imagine having the gall to demand people watch my videos.
Oh I find it very easy to promote, with my painting videos I just tell everyone whatΓÇÖs involved, who itΓÇÖs suitable for if need be, and just ask people to subscribe if itΓÇÖs what they want, and this is where I make it clear that there is to be no sub4sub, donΓÇÖt just hit the subscribe button just because I said so, but to make sure my content is what they want whenever I upload, seems to have worked for me :)

• Love

scottkoz20

TubeBuddy Pro
as a something that is just getting started with my channel - I reading about what lessons others have experienced. As for the facebook groups, I was wondering (and a couple of you touched on this) that they just seem to be a Sub4Sub haven or looking to sell subs/watched hours - regardless of what the description/rule state.

I'm just glad I found this community as it least there is real talk. Thank you for sharing your experiences @Stanley Orchard - as a newer member, I greatly appreciate this

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
as a something that is just getting started with my channel - I reading about what lessons others have experienced. As for the facebook groups, I was wondering (and a couple of you touched on this) that they just seem to be a Sub4Sub haven or looking to sell subs/watched hours - regardless of what the description/rule state.

I'm just glad I found this community as it least there is real talk. Thank you for sharing your experiences @Stanley Orchard - as a newer member, I greatly appreciate this

I joined a handful of travel related Facebook groups and that largely seems to be the case. I even tried to be proactive about watching others at a point and trying to engage, but it was rarely ever reciprocal. Now I simply copy and paste a post to those groups and if it leads to more eyeballs great... its less than a minute of my time at the end of the day.

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
@scottkoz20 there are some really good groups out there, Brian G, Annie Dube and Derral Eves all have very active pages with little to no sub4sub - they are not niche-specific and are aimed at creators wanting to grow. It might be worth joining one or two and asking if anyone can recommend a good group in your niche.

@Travel Interesante are you not worried that if too many people who sub4sub a lot subscribe to your channel and then get banned, that you might get tarred with the same brush?

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Guess
@Travel Interesante are you not worried that if too many people who sub4sub a lot subscribe to your channel and then get banned, that you might get tarred with the same brush?

I should clarify I guess... the groups I'm in seem to be more of people just pandering for views more than a sub4sub type of situation. I very rarely get those type of comments on the groups I'm in and I largely ignore them. I imagine, just like the comments on YouTube, people just unsubscribe after a bit... so be it.

Reactions: Kari B

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
@Travel Interesante your channel is doing really well for such a short time on youtube and not even 50 videos, did you have a large social media following before you started your channel, or have you just grown really quickly? I love your channel concept, traveling on points is quite unique.

Reactions: Travel Interesante

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Thanks so much Kari, our first videos were nearly a year and a half ago now. Of course those first handful of attempts were pretty rough :) Thankfully our family and friends have also been (mostly) very supportive and were willing to share our channel.

We started earlier on Instagram and have a larger following there and it has been a steady stream of Instagram posts and stories to try and convert people over to YouTube.

We actually made a handful of credit card related video as well, but plan to re-post them to another channel as they didn't necessarily fit in to the main channel vlogging theme. I started to get in to it back in 2014 and it definitely helped us plan out our world travels and we were making use of all it in our first few stops and planned to do a lot more before corona forced us to turn back.

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I know for a fact that Sub4Sub and Sub2Sub are the same. I am seriously tired of those people who keep saying things that will not detect S4S.