• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Will changing tags of an old video negatively affect the reach and ranking?

Did you notice a change after altering the tags of an old video?

• Yes- It improved the reach

• No - it was catastrophic

• Don't Know

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leonz

Dear All

A quick question: Sometimes while going through old video analytics, TubeBuddy suggests some new tags. Will changing tags after a few weeks of update affect the video's reach negatively? I read somewhere that it may confuse the YouTube algorithm is that true? Anyone here who can share a little light on this?

Thanks

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It's a good practice to update tags but be careful about what you replace with what. If I have a very good tag and I replace just because an avg tag is being recommended .. then no.

You have to analysis and decide. With time , many good tags may be recommended. If you have enough characters to add, then add otherwise replace with tags that are not much related / nearly duplicated / etc.

Checkout this thread . It will help you.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It can possibly if your video is already ranking for old terms. And also, changing your SEO will re-index your videos temporarily, something I've always been warned about, but if a video isn't performing and you're not ranking for any terms, it's safe to tweak some of your SEO to see if you can give old videos a bit of a boost. My channel is 5+ years old now and my old tags were HORRIBLE. so I'm in the process of changing my old data and seeing what the analytics look like in a few months after that change.

I also have 5 videos which are my top performing that have great rankings with not fully optimised SEO that I don't really want to touch, because they "could" rank "better" but I'm already happy with how they're performing, so I don't want to change anything with them.

Maybe if I change some of my poor performing old videos, and they start outranking my best performing videos, THEN i'll take the risk of changing u p my best performing videos as well.

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I went through and changed any tags on videos that were over a year old and weren't ranking, I'm sure it had a positive effect and I started seeing those videos getting views again.

Reactions: Leonz

Dr Pixel Plays

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I didn't notice a significant effect of changing tags of older videos (yet), but what certainly can't hurt is changing the thumbnail, at least I hope so.

If you have an old video sitting at under 3% CTR, it's definitely worth a refresh. Even if you won't get many impressions from the YT search on it, you are still more likely to get views from your channel page and whenever you do show up in the search results, or under suggested videos. Removing bad thumbnails also adds a touch of professionals to your channel.

Reactions: Leonz

Tsoko

It can possibly if your video is already ranking for old terms. And also, changing your SEO will re-index your videos temporarily, something I've always been warned about, but if a video isn't performing and you're not ranking for any terms, it's safe to tweak some of your SEO to see if you can give old videos a bit of a boost. My channel is 5+ years old now and my old tags were HORRIBLE. so I'm in the process of changing my old data and seeing what the analytics look like in a few months after that change.

I also have 5 videos which are my top performing that have great rankings with not fully optimised SEO that I don't really want to touch, because they "could" rank "better" but I'm already happy with how they're performing, so I don't want to change anything with them.

Maybe if I change some of my poor performing old videos, and they start outranking my best performing videos, THEN i'll take the risk of changing u p my best performing videos as well.
Hi, I'm new here and I just need some advice regarding this topic. I messed up my tags today, it was performing really good with a score of 95. I made some few changes and then it went down to 45 T_T I changed it back but the SEO score is not going back to its original score. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi, I'm new here and I just need some advice regarding this topic. I messed up my tags today, it was performing really good with a score of 95. I made some few changes and then it went down to 45 T_T I changed it back but the SEO score is not going back to its original score. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
do you mean in the tag tools/seo studio side of things? or the number that shows up next to the tags on the video info page it'self?
I've been playing around with some of the tags on my older videos and some are rising, and some aren't rising as much as I thought. Maybe show some screenshots?

Tsoko

The seo score in videolytics. It was 95 and green when I started and then it became 45 after I change the tags T_T

Attachments

• YTB.jpg
    YTB.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 209

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
The seo score in videolytics. It was 95 and green when I started and then it became 45 after I change the tags T_T
That SEO score takes more than just the tags into consideration if I'm correct with my assumptions. SEO has never been my strongest skill so it's something I'm still continuously learning, but I believe that takes the title and description AND your tags into consideration overall. If you've changed your tags, and one of the tags doesn't line up with your title and description (it appears you need to include your tag keyword into the title and description organically to raise the SEO score)
I think it's also a case that once you change the title or the description, or the tags, it WILL effect your rankings initially, and will change your overall SEO score as a result. If all you've done is change your tags, I suggest give it some time for YouTube to re-index/re-rank your video, and see if that score changes in a few days.

Tsoko

Okay, I'll wait and give some time for YT to re-index whatsoever. Waaa. I panicked. I'm never gonna do this again haha This is the greatest ranking vid on my channel (not high compared to others of course hah) and I'm so sad I messed up. what did I doooooooooo

Tsoko

That SEO score takes more than just the tags into consideration if I'm correct with my assumptions. SEO has never been my strongest skill so it's something I'm still continuously learning, but I believe that takes the title and description AND your tags into consideration overall. If you've changed your tags, and one of the tags doesn't line up with your title and description (it appears you need to include your tag keyword into the title and description organically to raise the SEO score)
I think it's also a case that once you change the title or the description, or the tags, it WILL effect your rankings initially, and will change your overall SEO score as a result. If all you've done is change your tags, I suggest give it some time for YouTube to re-index/re-rank your video, and see if that score changes in a few days.

Thank you very much, Beanie for the quick response. I really appreciate it! :)

Maryprecious

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
does your SEO score change drastically below your previous score? I want to tweak it for a better result but I guess I changed it for the worst.
Explore the keyword you want to change it to first before effecting the change. Mine actually changed the SEO score.