• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Is this video able to keep your attention for more than 3 mins?

kachdu

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
User name: kachdu
Title of thread: Is this video able to keep your attention for more than 3 mins?
Self review: Youtube has shadow banned this video. You cannot search the video even if you type the whole title in search bar. But I have worked too hard for this video. I think the video is good in terms of B rolls, sound or video quality. But still the video has been nerfed by YouTube. I don't understand why? I think the video is short enough to retain most people but I need honest opinion of people that don't follow me. Hoping for some replies by members here.
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neycVDzIPbY

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/31317/post-94207

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
It's not shadow banned. It shows up just fine when I search for it. Maybe you tried searching for it to soon after uploading not giving YouTubes search engine enough time to list it.

The video it self looks professional but it has one major issue, it's not until about 1 min 30 seconds into the video it actually starts for real (starts talking about the skins). Personally if a video don't give me what I'm there for in a few seconds I leave moving on to the next result in the search, so in your case I would probably have left after 10 seconds not 3 min. If I'm extremely interested and it doesn't seem to be any other good options I would stay but in that case I would just use the time line skipping forward until the real stuff begins. The chance of me staying for more than 3 min would be much larger if you just removed 85-90% of everything that comes before the 1 min 30 min mark.

Dr Pixel Plays

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Capture8.PNG

Your video isn't shadowbanned.

Onto your video.

First of all, the intro looks of course amazing. You really know how to produce high-quality content.
My problem, though, is that I had no clue what your video is about. I guess, the title tells you something, but I still had no clue whether you are giving a review, or whether it's a showcase.
You want your viewers to know why they should watch your video. Give them a quick overview of your video at the beginning of it, or make it obvious.
I can imagine some people clicking on your video, seeing your cool intro, but 10 seconds in still not knowing what it's about and then clicking off.
I would also be careful with 28 seconds long intros. You mentioned what your video is all about 42 seconds in!

Qualitywise, the rest of the video looked great. You know how to use B rolls and keep it interesting. Looks really professional.
I had more problems with the content. It simply sounded like an advertisement to me. They sponsored you, so I guess you could consider your video as a promotion for them. You go on and on about how great the product is, and there's not much of a review. I just felt like watching an advertisement. And you know why there are skip buttons on YouTube ads? People don't like watching ads.

I took a look at another video of yours(the lightbox one) and I had similar problems with the intro. You had almost a whole minute of footage for comparison. People who want to make a cheap lightbox click on that video to see how to make a cheap lightbox, but if you don't show them early that you can deliver on that promise, you risk them clicking off. You only start building the softbox at 5:20! And that's the main reason why people want to click on that video, I guess.

Reactions: kachdu
OP
OP
kachdu

kachdu

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
It's not shadow banned. It shows up just fine when I search for it. Maybe you tried searching for it to soon after uploading not giving YouTubes search engine enough time to list it.

The video it self looks professional but it has one major issue, it's not until about 1 min 30 seconds into the video it actually starts for real (starts talking about the skins). Personally if a video don't give me what I'm there for in a few seconds I leave moving on to the next result in the search, so in your case I would probably have left after 10 seconds not 3 min. If I'm extremely interested and it doesn't seem to be any other good options I would stay but in that case I would just use the time line skipping forward until the real stuff begins. The chance of me staying for more than 3 min would be much larger if you just removed 85-90% of everything that comes before the 1 min 30 min mark.

Thank you Ater. I swear the video was not showing up within the first 12 hours of upload. I tried asking my friends too and even my subs could not search for it. The view count froze on 53 within first hour and then there was nothing. But now the video is coming up in results as well as tags used in it just fine. So the issue has now been resolved.

Secondly, about "Personally if a video don't give me what I'm there for in a few seconds I leave moving on to the next result in the search".
While that would be true for videos that start with people talking unrelated stuff or without showing the goods first, I don't think it applies to my video.

The reason: Intro is carefully made to intrigue viewer about the product. Fit and finish the product is shown in the best possible way for people to judge how precise are the cutouts of the skin and how well the the same will look on a potential buyers camera. This lends credibility to the video and tells the viewers this guy is not trying to clickbait them into giving views without any legit information.

Further, if you literally do what you have written i.e. "Personally if a video don't give me what I'm there for in a few seconds I leave moving on to the next result in the search" then the best videos you enjoy on YouTube must be tutorials. Because 10 seconds is a lot less time to show personality. I accept the fact that I can give a lot of info in first 10 seconds for viewers to watch but that will make the videos only work in isolation which might not be well in the long run. As there are hundreds and thousands of video on YouTube that people can watch, why should they watch my content. There has to be a USP, shouldn't it?

All things said and dons, I do acknowledge and thank you for the time you took out to review the video though.

Reactions: Ater
OP
OP
kachdu

kachdu

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
View attachment 6896
Your video isn't shadowbanned.

Onto your video.

First of all, the intro looks of course amazing. You really know how to produce high-quality content.
My problem, though, is that I had no clue what your video is about. I guess, the title tells you something, but I still had no clue whether you are giving a review, or whether it's a showcase.
You want your viewers to know why they should watch your video. Give them a quick overview of your video at the beginning of it, or make it obvious.
I can imagine some people clicking on your video, seeing your cool intro, but 10 seconds in still not knowing what it's about and then clicking off.
I would also be careful with 28 seconds long intros. You mentioned what your video is all about 42 seconds in!

Qualitywise, the rest of the video looked great. You know how to use B rolls and keep it interesting. Looks really professional.
I had more problems with the content. It simply sounded like an advertisement to me. They sponsored you, so I guess you could consider your video as a promotion for them. You go on and on about how great the product is, and there's not much of a review. I just felt like watching an advertisement. And you know why there are skip buttons on YouTube ads? People don't like watching ads.

I took a look at another video of yours(the lightbox one) and I had similar problems with the intro. You had almost a whole minute of footage for comparison. People who want to make a cheap lightbox click on that video to see how to make a cheap lightbox, but if you don't show them early that you can deliver on that promise, you risk them clicking off. You only start building the softbox at 5:20! And that's the main reason why people want to click on that video, I guess.

Thank you Dr. Pixel Plays, your screenshot was really helpful to remove any doubts about the issue that seems to have now been resolved.

Coming onto the feedback, I will try to make the title more clear about whether the video is a review or product showcase. That's a really helpful suggestion.

But I don't think 28 seconds is that long for an amazing intro of the product being reviewed like I have produced.

REASON: Intro displays fit and finish the product in the best possible way for people to judge how precise are the cutouts of the skin and how well the the same will look on a potential buyers camera. This lends credibility to the video and tells the viewers this guy is not trying to clickbait them into giving views without any legit information.

However, I do think, I can maybe remove my channel intro worth 10 seconds after the product showcase stops to make the first one minute more crisp and information worthy.

Secondly, about "You go on and on about how great the product is, and there's not much of a review."

Can you be more specific about what a review about camera skins should include?

My review has:
  1. B rolls of the camera with the skin applied so that people can see that there are precise cutouts for the camera that the skin comes in.
  2. Macro videos also show the subtle texture built into the black Camo color scheme.
  3. I do talk that I have been using the skin for a month now and the skin has not peeled off my camera and that it provides scratch protection.
How could I have improved upon it ?
Would you suggest I start knifing my camera to show that the skins protect my camera from scratch to make the point obvious ? OR should I do a drop test to see if the camera survives because of the skin? When I ask myself if any of the above makes sense in a review about camera skin I get the answer that it doesn't make sense to do the same. But I am open to suggestions, if any.

Coming to the feedback that, "I took a look at another video of yours(the lightbox one) and I had similar problems with the intro. You had almost a whole minute of footage for comparison. People who want to make a cheap lightbox click on that video to see how to make a cheap lightbox, but if you don't show them early that you can deliver on that promise, you risk them clicking off. You only start building the softbox at 5:20! And that's the main reason why people want to click on that video, I guess."

There are thousands of videos that teach how to build a softbox on YouTube. What makes my video special if I start building a soft box like I do from 5:20 mark as you suggest? NOTHING.

I am afraid you have not understood that my video is kind of a masterclass for someone that is starting his YouTube journey and or video making career. It teaches first what the problem with harsh lighting is and then makes the viewer understand how to rectify the same with soft lighting. Then it teaches how to build a softbox. That Dr. Pixel Plays is the USP of my content and that will help separate my soft box tutorial with 100 thousand other search results teaching the same.

All things said and dons, I do acknowledge and thank you for the time you took out to review the video though.

Dr Pixel Plays

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Well, I'm not in your target group, so take my feedback with a grain of salt.

I guess your intro might be alright for your showcase of the skin. I didn't really pay attention to the title, and then I wasn't really understanding what the video was going to be all about. So it just could have been my mistake.

Well, you're right. There isn't much you can say about a camera skin. So you probably did a good job. It's just that I'm really not interested in skins.

I guess if you are targeting people who are interested in a review or showcase of a camera skin, the video is great for them.
Proving that it's scratch proof and fall-resistant might be more entertaining, but you don't want to entertain, you want to inform.

I understood that your video was a masterclass for starting with lighting, it's just not in the title. I really don't think your videos are bad, they really have quality.

It's simply that my expectations and what the video is about didn't match. I expected the video to be about how to build a cheap softbox. But what I saw was a masterclass about lighting, that's not why I would have clicked on the thumbnail. I guess many people who are looking for a cheap softbox click on that video and really appreciate the way you explain things, but people who are only interested in a cheap softbox might be turned off.

You don't have to change the style of your video and jump right to the part where you build it. All I would have wanted would be an intro that shows that you will later build a softbox. You could simply have done a brief overview of what you are going to do, like:

"First I'll explain why lighting is so important, and show you how to set up your softbox correctly, and then we are going to build a DIY Softbox for under $60. Here is a before and after comparison with and without the DIY softbox, so stay tuned."

Or maybe add timestamps.