• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips YouTube SEO: Hashtags and Youtube Links to Build

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
First of all, if you can get your vanity URL in YouTube, do it. You need 100 subs, channel is 30 days old, and you uploaded artwork.

It's important to link back into YouTube as much as possible. Just like with a website, placing a few internal links to other pages, posts, and categories keeps people on your site longer. In the last year, YouTube has been building up their internal linking system. This process can make older videos pop again, and build your internal SEO system.

Here are two ways to do that:

#Hashtags

Use up to 8 hashtags in your videos (NO more than 15 - Youtube will react to lots of tags). The Hashtag is not a Tag, and shouldn't be duplicating tags. Also keeping it simple #LongerHashtagsDoNothingForYou Good hashtags can be:
  1. #audio
  2. #Youtubetips
  3. #selfhelp
  4. #askmeanything
Hashtags also work in comments, so it's important to scan your comments from time to time (although you should do that regularly).

@Youtube Links

@Geekazine will now head to my YouTube page. If you use @ to promote a Twitter handle, it might go to a page that is not relevant to content in your video.

Right now, if you start a @name, it will show a drop-down of channels, which you have to select a name for it to activate. In the future, I fully expect that to change to instant resolve. If you want to promote someone's Twitter account, then it's best to type out Https://twitter.com/geekazine.

With that said, Finding other YouTube channels to link to is a great way to cross-reference. It also adds to searches on your channel, because if you do a lot of @Adobe videos, someone searching for content will have a better chance they find your content.

Not all channels work - any channel without a vanity URL won't resolve, so that is one reason why you should pick up your URL once you can.

Adding these options to your top 10 videos could give it a new life. I always spend an hour a week to look at older content, and update it for the algorithm to improve views.

Let me know your success stories for adding these two into your videos.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
First of all, if you can get your vanity URL in YouTube, do it. You need 100 subs, channel is 30 days old, and you uploaded artwork.

It's important to link back into YouTube as much as possible. Just like with a website, placing a few internal links to other pages, posts, and categories keeps people on your site longer. In the last year, YouTube has been building up their internal linking system. This process can make older videos pop again, and build your internal SEO system.

#Hashtags

Use up to 8 hashtags in your videos (NO more than 15 - Youtube will react to lots of tags). The Hashtag is not a Tag, and shouldn't be duplicating tags. Also keeping it simple #LongerHashtagsDoNothingForYou Good hashtags can be:
  1. #audio
  2. #Youtubetips
  3. #selfhelp
  4. #askmeanything
Hashtags also work in comments, so it's important to scan your comments from time to time (although you should do that regularly).

@Youtube Links

@Geekazine will now head to my YouTube page. If you use @ to promote a Twitter handle, it might go to a page that is not relevant to content in your video.

Right now, if you start a @name, it will show a drop-down of channels, which you have to select a name for it to activate. In the future, I fully expect that to change to instant resolve. If you want to promote someone's Twitter account, then it's best to type out Https://twitter.com/geekazine.

With that said, Finding other YouTube channels to link to is a great way to cross-reference. It also adds to searches on your channel, because if you do a lot of @Adobe videos, someone searching for content will have a better chance they find your content.

Not all channels work - any channel without a vanity URL won't resolve, so that is one reason why you should pick up your URL once you can.

Adding these options to your top 10 videos could give it a new life. I always spend an hour a week to look at older content, and update it for the algorithm to improve views.

I'd also be sure to add them at the end of your description since YT is looking for matches in that first 200 characters. I also have been doing tests on hashtags and the results are mixed at best. They seem to be more for people searching for stuff, so I'm curious how people will find how they're working. THIS is good advice though :) (Don't mislead with hashtags since that is against TOS) Thread gets a sticky!

Niki Proshin

Known Member
Are hashtags actually that useful? When I watch youtube (as a viewer, not creator) I never actually use hashtags to search for content. Nor my friends do.

• Wow
Reactions: Hitesh@s

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

#Hashtags

1. #audio
  2. #Youtubetips
  3. #selfhelp
  4. #askmeanything

@Youtube Links

I always thought I'm allowed to use up to 3 hashtags in a video.

OP
OP
Jeffrey Powers

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
Last edited by a moderator:

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Well said sir, this is an excellent article. Found the information EXTREMELY insightful.

Would you mind if I requested a detailed description of how to link your social media via a hashtag? I don't use them often, and this is something I am trying to improve upon but my knowledge is rudimentary.

SoyManuelMedina

TubeBuddy User
Thank you for the official post from YouTube, I was overusing my hashtags.

@Niki Proshin the hashtag search is more than just clicks. It's also a form of cataloging. People search hashtags for popularity all the time. Doesn't matter if YouTube or Google.

@IanDominicTV YES! More than 3. Here is the help link on Hashtags: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6390658?hl=en#:~:text=Add hashtags to your videos,show above the video title.

I made a video about these three items. You can watch it here:

Uncle Momo

Familiar Member
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal

#Hashtags

1. #audio
  2. #Youtubetips
  3. #selfhelp
  4. #askmeanything

@Youtube Links

how do get access to my old uploads on TubeBuddy to improve my hashtags? IΓÇÖm using my mobile phone (Iphone)

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
how do get access to my old uploads on TubeBuddy to improve my hashtags? IΓÇÖm using my mobile phone (Iphone)
You can adjust the description via YT Studio if all you are doing is adding hashtags

Jbrame

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
WeΓÇÖre striving for our 100 subs right now for this exact reason, so we can get our vanity url! My biggest struggle though is getting that 100 subs.

golfwithjohn

Subscriber Goal
Thanks for the post. Great use of hashtags and something I should start doing. Loved the idea of going back to older post and refreshing those to give it new life +views :D.

Question about your links to YT. Does it matter if I use a service like Bit.ly to shorten them? Will this have a negative impact?

Melanie

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Legend
hubpages.com
Subscriber Goal
@Jeffrey Powers May I quote your OP in a forum where I'm a community manager? This is an incredibly helpful post. I would link your YouTube channel and this forum post as a source. I think it would be really helpful. It's a private group so it won't get indexed by Google and hurt the SEO of this forum. If you would like the name of the group, I'll share that with you. I just didn't want to shout it out like I'm trying to promote it. :)

OP
OP
Jeffrey Powers

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
@Jeffrey Powers May I quote your OP in a forum where I'm a community manager? This is an incredibly helpful post. I would link your YouTube channel and this forum post as a source. I think it would be really helpful. It's a private group so it won't get indexed by Google and hurt the SEO of this forum. If you would like the name of the group, I'll share that with you. I just didn't want to shout it out like I'm trying to promote it. :)
Absolutely!