• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Instagram Are instagram stories and highlights MORE powerful than regular Instagram content?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've noticed an interesting trend over the last 12 months. People keeping their main profile VERY limited in the amount of posts, some having no more than 20 posts... but their collection of story highlights are growing more and more and more. Some having their story highlights be the ceter focus on their instagram profiles, with maybe 6-9 regular posts.

Another interesting thing I noticed, is someone with 12k followers mentioned me in an instagram story, I haven't posted anything on my gallery at all this year, and generally it's been crickets unless I post a story... but today I re-mentioned the story that mentioned me, plust a few other stories related to my dinosaurs niche, and I've gained roughly 20+ followers.

It really does seem that stories have a lot more power in them, despite not being the easiest thing to search. Have you experimented with Instagram stories? and are you using it as part of your social media strategy?

Darcy

Subscriber Goal
I would be interested to know as well as i have started using IG but im not really sure on the best way to promote youtube

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I haven't gone on Instagram in a while tbh, but I do see more and more people using stories (*coughs* Rob *coughs).

Maybe we should ask @RobBalasabas about this lol

RobBalasabas

Trusted User
TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey @Ikerot and @Beanie Draws!

I've definitely been using IG Stories way more than posting on the actual feed for a while now.

And when I do post on the feed, it doesn't get nearly as much reach or engagement as my stories.

I honestly think that there are a ton of people on IG that aren't even scrolling through the feed anymore, and just consuming stories. I think it's why Tiktok is really growing, people link those quick 15 second bite-sized content pieces.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have honestly never understood the point of a story. They seem to just go away in a day. I have never tried using one, and rarely look at other peoples stories. YT is wanting to push them too... why? People really look at them? Guess I should try...

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey @Ikerot and @Beanie Draws!
And when I do post on the feed, it doesn't get nearly as much reach or engagement as my stories.

I honestly think that there are a ton of people on IG that aren't even scrolling through the feed anymore, and just consuming stories. I think it's why Tiktok is really growing, people link those quick 15 second bite-sized content pieces.

To be honest, I spend maybe a minute scrolling, but stories are nice quick snippets that take full advantage of the full screen realestate. One thing I DON'T like about them as a viewer, is whenever I like/love a story, as a creator I now know that it sends a private direct messege which I'm still uncomfortable with. I don't like "sliding into the dm's" in such a manner. And for SOME creator, it opens up an avenue for private harassment. At least in public posts, if someone is a jerk, everyone else can see and report, meaning people are less likely to be a jerk. In DM responses, it allows people more oportunity to be creeps which I'm not a fan of. The engagement overall though is very cool.

I have honestly never understood the point of a story. They seem to just go away in a day. I have never tried using one, and rarely look at other peoples stories. YT is wanting to push them too... why? People really look at them? Guess I should try...

It depends on your niche. Yes, they go away in a day, but you can now save them as a feature, meaning they can stay around permanently. They're a good way to make quick content that doesn't require any hashtags or descriptions, you just give little snapshots into your life for people to see. Especially good for artists and vloggers. I'd suggest looking into them, they can be very powerful once you learn how to use them and understand them