• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review What would your first impression be if you arrived at my channel?

Immortal Explorer

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
User name: Immortal Explorer
Title of thread: What would your first impression be if you arrived at my channel?
Self review: I have a small channel that focuses on backpacking South America, Ayahuasca and traditional Jungle medicine. I am aware that the majority of my videos are not well edited and that the film quality is lacking in some of them. However, I was not setting out to create a Youtube channel at the time of filming. In future I will be planning and creating well edited pieces with full intros, but for now I am just interested on first impressions of my channel, if you were to arrive on it for some reason. Cheers.
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: www.youtube.com/immortalexplorer
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/28941/

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hello @Immortal Explorer,

Before I give you my thoughts I'd like to first say that my opinions are just that opinions. they are not intended in any way to be insulting or disrespectful. My goal is to provide constructive criticism based on your request. You are free to disregard any opinions I give without fear of offending me. With that said...

I took a look at your channel and here are my thoughts at first glance:

Your banner is beautiful, but it's just a picture of a beautiful scenery. It doesn't tell any potential subscribers what your channel is about. Your banner is your brand sign, the first thing potential subscribers will see when they get to your channel. You have to give them a warm welcome with your banner, tell them who you are, what your channel is about.

Immortal Explorer
Backpacking The World In Search Of Enlightenment

And remember to also provide some kind of schedule of how often you upload. Every Friday, every 2 weeks, etc. The style is of your own choosing. Pick something you like that is eyecatching and easy to read. Colors are extremely important as certain colors attract more attention than others. I would also suggest removing your links to Facebook and Instagram on your banner. Youtube is more interested in channels that keep viewers on YouTube. These links give ppl reasons to leave the website. Social Media should be shared on the video themselves, maybe in the description of the video.

The next thing you should consider is an actual trailer video. When a potential new subscriber visits the channel for the first time they are greeted with your trailer video. While using one of your videos as a trailer is better than nothing making a trailer that tells new potential subscribers what your channel is all about will be even better. You can to have fun creating a really cool montage of your videos with a great msg about your channel and to join you in your journey. Make it short and sweet.

The only other suggestion I have to to create playlists and include them on your page. This will help get people to watch more than just one video. CTR is extremely important for helping you grow your channel.

This is all I have about your channel from my perspective. As for your video quality, editing technics and intro my best suggestion is this: Sound quality is more important than the video quality if you have to pick one or the other. Experiment with different technics for editing as you upload to see what works and what doesn't. And the Intro, I would suggest keeping it short at first. About 5 seconds for starters. Then you can make it longer as your channel grows. Remember, the first 15 to 30 seconds are crucial and this is where the Intro usually lives.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

OP
OP
Immortal Explorer

Immortal Explorer

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hello @Immortal Explorer,

Before I give you my thoughts I'd like to first say that my opinions are just that opinions. they are not intended in any way to be insulting or disrespectful. My goal is to provide constructive criticism based on your request. You are free to disregard any opinions I give without fear of offending me. With that said...

I took a look at your channel and here are my thoughts at first glance:

Your banner is beautiful, but it's just a picture of a beautiful scenery. It doesn't tell any potential subscribers what your channel is about. Your banner is your brand sign, the first thing potential subscribers will see when they get to your channel. You have to give them a warm welcome with your banner, tell them who you are, what your channel is about.

Immortal Explorer
Backpacking The World In Search Of Enlightenment

And remember to also provide some kind of schedule of how often you upload. Every Friday, every 2 weeks, etc. The style is of your own choosing. Pick something you like that is eyecatching and easy to read. Colors are extremely important as certain colors attract more attention than others. I would also suggest removing your links to Facebook and Instagram on your banner. Youtube is more interested in channels that keep viewers on YouTube. These links give ppl reasons to leave the website. Social Media should be shared on the video themselves, maybe in the description of the video.

The next thing you should consider is an actual trailer video. When a potential new subscriber visits the channel for the first time they are greeted with your trailer video. While using one of your videos as a trailer is better than nothing making a trailer that tells new potential subscribers what your channel is all about will be even better. You can to have fun creating a really cool montage of your videos with a great msg about your channel and to join you in your journey. Make it short and sweet.

The only other suggestion I have to to create playlists and include them on your page. This will help get people to watch more than just one video. CTR is extremely important for helping you grow your channel.

This is all I have about your channel from my perspective. As for your video quality, editing technics and intro my best suggestion is this: Sound quality is more important than the video quality if you have to pick one or the other. Experiment with different technics for editing as you upload to see what works and what doesn't. And the Intro, I would suggest keeping it short at first. About 5 seconds for starters. Then you can make it longer as your channel grows. Remember, the first 15 to 30 seconds are crucial and this is where the Intro usually lives.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Yes funnily enough the banner is something that I myself realised needed work a couple of days ago and is next on the list, as well as a trailer.

So you think I should upload a playlist and make it publicly visible? I already have playlists that I use on the end screens.

Yes I definitely do need a trailer as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to do such a detailed response.

Alex

Exposed Hobby

Subscriber Goal
Hello, I reviewed your channel. To be honest, I really did not hear much from you in the videos. I was able to hear the things going on around you, but it would have been nice to hear your thoughts on various things during your travels, i.e, experiences or emotions. As a viewer who has never been to a place like that, I would want to know what is going through your mind at the time that you are in the jungle or walking through the market. I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: Immortal Explorer
OP
OP
Immortal Explorer

Immortal Explorer

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hello, I reviewed your channel. To be honest, I really did not hear much from you in the videos. I was able to hear the things going on around you, but it would have been nice to hear your thoughts on various things during your travels, i.e, experiences or emotions. As a viewer who has never been to a place like that, I would want to know what is going through your mind at the time that you are in the jungle or walking through the market. I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Hi mate

Thanks for the review. Yes I agree completely, next time I will be doing this consciously. At the time I was never palnning on creating a travel chaneel, so wasn't really thinking like that. But I agree.

Thanks

Alex

Danny8190777

At first glance the channel trailer stood out to me, beautiful scenery! That was a plus, I would get a professional banner made that has your name and stuff with a backdrop like the one you have. Your thumbnail style is good but if you could increase the font size slightly to have it more readable it would help people to see what your text is in the thumbnail, I dont have the best vision and I can barely see it, the key would probably be to make sure its at a size that isnt too big but not too small, finally for your channel description I would like to see a little bit more I would at least like to see a paragraph (4-6 sentences), for reference on how you could make your channel look like search brave wilderness, they have the nature backdrop with their channel name on the logo and what not, and they have the long About section of their channel, I hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: Immortal Explorer
OP
OP
Immortal Explorer

Immortal Explorer

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
At first glance the channel trailer stood out to me, beautiful scenery! That was a plus, I would get a professional banner made that has your name and stuff with a backdrop like the one you have. Your thumbnail style is good but if you could increase the font size slightly to have it more readable it would help people to see what your text is in the thumbnail, I dont have the best vision and I can barely see it, the key would probably be to make sure its at a size that isnt too big but not too small, finally for your channel description I would like to see a little bit more I would at least like to see a paragraph (4-6 sentences), for reference on how you could make your channel look like search brave wilderness, they have the nature backdrop with their channel name on the logo and what not, and they have the long About section of their channel, I hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for the response, I will take it all on board. And thank you very much for putting me onto Brave Wilderness. This is all really good advice.

Peace

Alex

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hey ! I looked at your Channel .

Few Suggestions:
1. The Banner is great ... if would be perfect if it would have your name on.
2. Thumbnail font / pattern was not making me to click immediate . large font would solve the problem. The brownish font with same background isn't really clear.
3. more options like subscribe button can be added in "about" section.

Otherwise, you are going great ! All the Best !

@Brave Starr

Very much impressed with this suggestion .

"Immortal Explorer
Backpacking The World In Search Of Enlightenmen
t"

residentcasuals

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hello mate!

Sidebar before I give you a review, we went to Uni together. Good to see ya man.

Solid channel mate, a lot of videos I would click on and watch based on their title, like the nail being ripped off your big toe, the attack of the parrot and the waterfall video. I think your font could be a bit bigger more eye catching to the regular passer by like if we compare the parrot video the caption is a lot bigger then say the Intense Ceremony video. Same goes for the actual thumbnail, the two thumbnails of these two videos are different, one describes exactly whats happening and the other is just in a dark room so can't see what's going on.

Other then that the content is spot on mate.

Hope you're well.

Shaun - Resident Casuals

Subscriber Goal
My first impressions what an astrals, nature, tribe and music. Not really getting what channel it is, since the music is modern one but the picture and text i saw is more like natural or tribes things. Going down to the video, i saw video showing jungles, but the pace of the shooting very fast. Anyway my first 2 minutes impression was, i dont know what your channel is about.

Thats my honest review bro.

Reactions: Rehoboth Organic