• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Question What is the best processor for video rendering?

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been doing a bit of research on this as I am about to build my video editing PC!

It actually depends a little bit on the editing software you use. Some video editing software renders using primarily CPU and some editing software is more dominant in using the GPU for rendering. So it may tip the scales as to whether you'd spend more on your CPU vs spend more on your GPU (video card). Of course the dream would be a high end processor and a high end graphics card! But if you have to stick with a set budget you may need to trade off more CPU spend vs more GPU spend.

But also some video editing software is better able to use multiple CPU cores vs only utilizing 1-4 cores. So again need to research your software choice.

IMHO, it is easier to replace your graphics card later then it is to replace your processor, especially when new processor generations often come with new sockets/new motherboards/new RAM. So personally I'd get the best processor you can today, with a little cheaper graphics card. Then plan to upgrade your graphics card in 6-12 months when budget allows.

Now if we have to pick a processor to answer your question.... I would choose a new Intel Core i7 or i9 processor maximum single core performance OR I would choose an AMD Ryzen for the highest number of cores for the same price. Both AMD and Intel produce many processors at various price points that are competitive and choosing one is a bit like choose iPhone vs Android (a religous debate online!!). But if you buy smart with an upgrade plan for future, it probably doesn't matter whether you go AMD or Intel.

Personally, I just bought an Intel Core i9 10900k very recently released. If you want to see my video editing PC build you can connect with me on social! @BensTechLab everywhere. I'm going to be covering all the tech stuff related to setting up a youtube channel/studio. (I have my processor, ram, ssds and graphics card already - waiting for the motherboard to arrive!!)

Let me know what video editing software you are using! (or thinking of using). I'm likely going to stick with DaVinci resolve, although lots of tech how-to people also seem to use Camtasia.

Reactions: Mind Harmony
OP
OP
Mind Harmony

Mind Harmony

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Thank you for this information! This helps me a lot, anyways, what AMD Ryzen do you prefer?

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
Thank you for this information! This helps me a lot, anyways, what AMD Ryzen do you prefer?

Actually you are in luck! The AMD Ryzen CPUs all got a little bit cheaper when Intel released their 10th gen processors recently. So its a good time to buy a Ryzen CPU - good value for the dollar. A Ryzen 5 or 7 series would be good (Ryzen 3 too low for video editing).

Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600X are both 6 cpu cores or 12 threads of processing. This is a very popular choice for beginners building their first system and will edit 4k video fine paired with any reasonable graphics card. This is probably the default recommendation if you don't yet know what you'll be doing or where you'll take your projects.

If you have a bit of extra cash in the budget, step up to a Ryzen 7 3800X which gets you to 8 cores, 16 threads with a faster base & boost clock (faster single core performance) for not that much more.

Of course you can go more - but the prices start to double at each level as you get to 10, 12 or 16 cpu cores. So the law of diminishing returns applies here as your price can double (200%) for say 25-30% increase in video rendering speeds. So usually I wouldn't recommend this unless you are a tech enthusiast like me or have a business need where that 25-30% improvement equates to real money in the bank (not usually true when starting out on YouTube).

Cosmin Oance

cosminoance.com
Subscriber Goal
The best bang for the buck right now is the R7 2700X, 10-15% worse than a current gen 3700X, but 30% cheaper.
In Premiere, exporting uses all available threads at 100%. Video rendering in general will be optimised to use as many cores as possible.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
"Best" really is reliant on your budget, because some processors alone can cost several thousand dollars. I have a Ryzen 7 1700, cost me roughly $300 and still gets the job done after 2 years.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been looking for some parts to upgrade my computer and it seems the prices haven't changed a huge amount. I'd definitely go with Amd Ryzen. Not super expensive, but unlike Intel, which seem to be focused more on gaming, AMD in the last 3 years have been strongly focused on multi tasking, so you can game, record, and edit, sometimes all at the same time. Ryzen 7 1700 is still a very formidable processor and was second top of the line 3 years ago.

Reactions: Damon

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Currently using a Ryzen 5 3600 and have no issues when editing video. If you get one of the newer boards you can always upgrade the processor later. Other key is RAM and you want at least 16GB when editing video and Davinci needs 32GB to use all the features.

As was mentioned earlier a decent video card can really help and again I would go for more RAM/DRAM on the board then underlying processing power.

My current setup that I use to edit 4K video with Davinci and Filmora 9
  • MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX - Get an X570 chipset if going AMD and it will handle any of the latest chips coming out
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 -Went low end as I can upgrade later
  • Corsair 16GB 2x8 D4 3200 RAM - I will need to buy another set to get to 32GB at some point
  • Samsung 1TB SSD - Already had this
  • Nvidia PNY GTX 1060 3GB - Not great but was cheaper than other cards wish I had purchased one with 6GB instead
You can see my system on the UserBenchmark website https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23056523 and see how the Graphic card is really the weak link.

Hope this helps

• Love

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Its pretty well known that Adobe software is optimized to Intel/Nvidia but all that said I've got an AMD Threadripper build that I use for video rendering and it absolutely stomps on just about anything I throw at it. (I do edit on DaVinci Resolve primarily)

I personally recommend AMD... Power per $ you can't go wrong with it. Anything Ryzen 7 should have 0 issues handling most tasks you could ever throw at it and if your in the cinema realm maybe give the Ryzen 9 series or the TR platform a look. I also suggest having a beefy GPU if you can manage it as programs like DaVinci take advantage of acceleration.

Jokoman93

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Go for AMD Products. Ryzen 7 is a good choice and pricing is not too bad. AMD is beginning to outrun Intel in my opinion and w might see them at the top pretty soon if intel doesnt figure their **** out

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Go for AMD Products. Ryzen 7 is a good choice and pricing is not too bad. AMD is beginning to outrun Intel in my opinion and w might see them at the top pretty soon if intel doesnt figure their **** out
I mean, their stock coolers alone are SIGNIFICANTLY better than Intel stock coolers. If you're building a computer, an intel cpu usually needs a seperate stock cooler, but my Ryzen 7 came with a great stock cooler that even had RGB lighting.