• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Would you risk changing your channel name?

Octorious

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Legend
Subscriber Goal
If you like your current channel name, and you are known for it, and you rank in search then DO NOT change it. If you don't rank for it though, and you aren't too well known by it, then maybe consider changing it if you need to.

Reactions: Josh Tan

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
I changed my Channel name about 2 years ago. If you do it right, then it can actually help you. See it as a "New Launch" if you want to do it. Hit Social, Make a new Video about it, etc etc.
It shouldn't make any difference to ranking Videos. I've followed plenty of channels that have done it.

Would I risk changing it now, because I've grown massively over the last few months...??
NO. But I have no need to change it. I changed it from my Business to my Personal Brand. My channel is exactly where I want it to be. But I never even gave it a second thought in the early days.

• Love

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
If you're still a relatively new/small channel, there isn't as big of a risk. I think it's like prime time to decide if you want to switch or not. Kinda like going in your first year of college and wanting to change degrees lol.

On the other hand, if you've already established your brand and you're thinking of changing it, it can be a big risk like the others have said. However, if you do plan on it, do it gradually so your audience can have time to adjust :)

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
One of my favorite Disney vloggers just changed his channel name this week. He has 130k subs. He is using as a new launch, and it seems to be going well. Everyone is commenting that they like the new name/new look.

AS_7

[QUOTE = "Josh Tan, posting: 84046, anggota: 33510"]
Dalam teori saya, jika Anda mengubah nama saluran, sulit bagi Anda untuk mendapat perhatian dari pendatang baru.
[/ MENGUTIP]

jangan lupa mampir ke chanel aku!!!!

• Haha

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I changed my name due to a company starting up and selling products. I changed it and made sure to grab domains and social media accounts under my new name so it wouldn't happen again. Old name was Womaculture and new name being World Composting. My older videos I still say Womaculture but I hope people realize the channel name when they are watching. My older videos have some evergreen content so I don't want to take them down.

GardenGal

I jut now changed one of mine, but it was an older channel (that I hadn't posted on in literally years) and I thought the new name better reflected the content I now produce/plan to produce. But I also have an established channel with around 60k subscribers and I most definitely would not change that one!

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
One of the biggest art channes "Jazza" used to be known as "Draw With Jazza" but changed it to just "Jazza" as he focuses on art as a variety rather than just drawing.

Maybe I'll do that one day, but I think he was in a position where he could do it and not hurt his channel all that much. Typically a channel that's smaller, if they went from "draw with jazza" to just "jazza" it would take away the niche appeal.

If I went to just "Beanie" (there's already another channel just called "beanie") people would be asking "who's this beanie guy and why should I care?"

but "Beanie Draws" tells you my prospect and value offer right in my name. If you like drawing, or want to draw, chances are there's something in my channel name that might entice you to look. If I was just "beanie"... why would you care about some random person on YouTube called beanie?

You need to evaluate your value proposition.

If you have a horrible channel name and then decide a year or two in that you've discovered your value proposition, and that your channel name doesn't reflect that, then I think it's safe to change it.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
If it wasn't for the fact that I'm verified I'd change my name in a heart beat to better reflect me or my business. (I'd either use my name or my business name instead as the channel's goal was to always drive business)

HeatherPsyD

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I changed mine, but it has been a slow transition. It was DrWanderlust at first, then I changed it to HeatherPsyD. I still use DrWanderlust every now and then so people realize it's me, but it didn't impact my channel but so much. I wanted to change it before it grew. I also kept my picture the same, although I'd like to update it, so that's another recognizable feature.

Gunjit

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I would only change if there is a solid reason behind it, Otherwise I would stick to my old one

Midas

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
themidasmvmt.com
Subscriber Goal
I changed mine a few times to unify multiple channel names and I've gotten so much more in return since then. It all depends on what you want. Just try not to do it when you're established. Can be really tough on your brand recognition.

• Love

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Yes if you can make it relevant to your channel. I started mine with just my name and about a month ago I changed it to add in travel so that people would know at a glance what the channel was about and it's worked really well for me.

Also if there is a channel with a similar name in a similar niche it might be a good idea, as you don't want any people you tell about your channel to find the wrong one.

• Love