• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Audio Gear A new microphone that can record in front and behind the camera!

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
I wonder if it records one mic to L channel and the other mic to R channel, so you could choose best audio in post?

It doesn't quite say on their website, but does say it has an aux input for a lav mic so you can record 2 channels, 1 from aux and 1 from this mic which then mutes the rear mic. So it sounds to me like the rear mic gets replaced with the aux when plugged in, but normally the 2 channels would be separate if I'm reading this right!

The D4 DUO also has a very special feature that exemplifies our company motto of ΓÇ£Do More. Carry Less.ΓÇ¥ Its 3.5mm AUX input bypasses audio from the rear capsule and sends it to the right channel of your camera. No longer do you need to carry around bulky camera mixers or hard-to-find stereo splitter cables. All of that is built into the microphone.
Simply flip the switch to stereo and plug in your lavalier or wireless receiver. This is perfect for when you want to capture an interview with someone but also need to record the sounds of the environment on a separate track that you can use to balance the whole soundscape of the scene.

OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I wonder if it records one mic to L channel and the other mic to R channel, so you could choose best audio in post?

It doesn't quite say on their website, but does say it has an aux input for a lav mic so you can record 2 channels, 1 from aux and 1 from this mic which then mutes the rear mic. So it sounds to me like the rear mic gets replaced with the aux when plugged in, but normally the 2 channels would be separate if I'm reading this right!

That's how I took it, which makes sense and if you don't need the back you can just delete the track, WHICH if is true is SO useful :D

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
OK. Looking at their video, I find it a little more interesting. You can switch between dual mono and stereo modes, and the main input can be bypassed for a lav or wireless microphone.

Still not keen on using the camera to power the mics - what is so wrong with having a battery in a unit?

The frequency range is a little lackluster (50 Hz - 20kHz). This will be pointless for capturing music.

Finally, I'm a little concerned about phasing with these mics so close together. The back mic needs the person to be closer to the camera, which might cause more issues in post.

Too bad there are no videos out there demonstrating how this microphone works. Just an introduction, and a "commercial". Makes me wonder if they haven't dialed it all in yet...

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
Finally, I'm a little concerned about phasing with these mics so close together. The back mic needs the person to be closer to the camera, which might cause more issues in post.

I'm not an audio pro yet @Jeffrey Powers but would phasing matter if you always intended to delete one of the two audio tracks? For example sometimes you are narrating a tour of something from behind the camera and the flip the camera around to talk to it and back again to look at an object. In that case I'd assume when editing you'd only ever be using 1 mics audio track and just swapping them when you turn the camera around to look at it.

What would be the result if there was a problem with phasing? I assume it would only matter if mixing together the two mics down to one track?

Definitely a vlogging style mic. I agree about the power source comment. I found a lot of passive mics are a touch quiet. I already have a Deity V-Mic D3 Pro which has been great. So I hope the Deity brand keeps performing!

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
I'm not an audio pro yet @Jeffrey Powers but would phasing matter if you always intended to delete one of the two audio tracks? For example sometimes you are narrating a tour of something from behind the camera and the flip the camera around to talk to it and back again to look at an object. In that case I'd assume when editing you'd only ever be using 1 mics audio track and just swapping them when you turn the camera around to look at it.

What would be the result if there was a problem with phasing? I assume it would only matter if mixing together the two mics down to one track?

Definitely a vlogging style mic. I agree about the power source comment. I found a lot of passive mics are a touch quiet. I already have a Deity V-Mic D3 Pro which has been great. So I hope the Deity brand keeps performing!

Phasing can kill the power of both microphones. It can also make it harder to fix audio in post - even if it was in dual mono mode.

If this microphone has too much phasing, the vlogger would most likely never use it, as it would need to be on or off from the start of a video. If it's not, they may forget, or if turned on they're going to hurt the phantom power source.

OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Too bad there are no videos out there demonstrating how this microphone works. Just an introduction, and a "commercial". Makes me wonder if they haven't dialed it all in yet...

I would say let's wait and see. It's hard to say if they've dialed it in since as you said it's just an introduction. I try to stay optimistic, but I do see your concerns, and can't wait to see more :)

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
I would say let's wait and see. It's hard to say if they've dialed it in since as you said it's just an introduction. I try to stay optimistic, but I do see your concerns, and can't wait to see more :)
If you know someone there, do an introduction, and I'll try to get a unit in for review

Reactions: Aaron

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖd be interested to see this microphone in action. I can definitely see the applications. If anyone gets their hands on one of these I want to hear about it!