• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Editing Software What is your favorite video editing app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
what made you switch to DaVinci?

One main reason being time lapse video when using pictures. Filmora brings in each individual picture and is very choppy where as DaVinci brings in all the photos in a folder as a moving video. The other reason was because it could output at the same quality or better than the video I recorded where as Filmora quality wasn't as high.

Don Alabee

TubeBuddy User
www.ghananiephotography.com
Subscriber Goal
One main reason being time lapse video when using pictures. Filmora brings in each individual picture and is very choppy where as DaVinci brings in all the photos in a folder as a moving video. The other reason was because it could output at the same quality or better than the video I recorded where as Filmora quality wasn't as high.

Oh okay. I use Premiere Pro, which is quite heavy on my MacBook. A friend suggested DaVinci citing that itΓÇÖs lightweight. Will you say same?

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Oh okay. I use Premiere Pro, which is quite heavy on my MacBook. A friend suggested DaVinci citing that itΓÇÖs lightweight. Will you say same?
I can't comment on Premiere Pro as I'm using Windows but I don't think DaVinci is lightweight especially compared to Filmora. The big thing for DaVinci is having a powerful graphics card as it uses it a lot to handle the workload. I know my graphics card is heavily taxed when using DaVinci and I have been thinking about upgrading currenly have a 3GB 1060 but waiting for the new Nvidia cards this fall.

Also for one of the features "Fusion" is requires 32GB of RAM and on my computer with 16GB it crashes if I try to use it.

The great thing about Davinci is that you can get it and try it for free with only some more advanced features in the full version. The full version is $300 with upgrades forever and this is software that professionals use so you shouldn't have to change anytime soon.

Don Alabee

TubeBuddy User
www.ghananiephotography.com
Subscriber Goal
I can't comment on Premiere Pro as I'm using Windows but I don't think DaVinci is lightweight especially compared to Filmora. The big thing for DaVinci is having a powerful graphics card as it uses it a lot to handle the workload. I know my graphics card is heavily taxed when using DaVinci and I have been thinking about upgrading currenly have a 3GB 1060 but waiting for the new Nvidia cards this fall.

Also for one of the features "Fusion" is requires 32GB of RAM and on my computer with 16GB it crashes if I try to use it.

The great thing about Davinci is that you can get it and try it for free with only some more advanced features in the full version. The full version is $300 with upgrades forever and this is software that professionals use so you shouldn't have to change anytime soon.

oh okay. I might just stay with Prrmiere Pro. I use a MacBook pro with 16GB RAM, and an inbuilt graphics card. Not sure it can handle DaVinci well for me.

Jarvis Phan

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
I'm currently using Final Cut Pro X to edit all my piano covers on my Macbook and I love it. I find it to be very user friendly.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Pooper2471

I currently use VideoPad. Simple for me to use, and it's been hard to get myself to adjust to any other program for the moment. Someday, I will teach myself.

Maybe if there were one where I could customize my interface to be similar to VideoPad's, I could trick myself into thinking nothing's changed, and that the program I'm currently using is the same, but with a massive upgrade. Best of both worlds.

Volfra

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
After Effects is best for me at the moment. I did use Final Cut Pro X before.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Late to the thread, but wanted to answer this one for you.

It depends on the CODEC you are using for recording. Davinci handles ProRES and Blackmagic Raw better than any other application I've used. And that includes Final Cut Pro. It handles most other CODECs as well as any other editing program, and can use GPU acceleration cross-platform to help with the computation burden. Note, FCP can use GPU acceleration on Macs, Premier Pro on both platforms. But with the added ProRES and Blackmagic RAW capabilities, Davinci is very compelling.

But here is where it really matters. For a one-time $299 license you unlock Davinci Resolve Studio. With that you get not just the editor, but also one of the best Color studios in the business, one of the best and most widely-used DAWs (Fairlight), and a very competent compositing tool (Fusion). Fusion isn't After Effects, but I find I can do pretty much everything I need using it.

All of these are in the same app, so there I no switching applications. You can manage the entire workflow with one app.

With Davinci, I can easily edit 4k and 6k videos shot using Blackmagic RAW on my 15" Macbook Pro.

EnglishwithLiz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
With Davinci, I can easily edit 4k and 6k videos shot using Blackmagic RAW on my 15" Macbook Pro.
....but what is the spec of your Macbook? My video workhorse is a 2014 iMac with an upgraded with 16GB RAM & 1 TB SSD, and I tried most of the top video editors but the only one that worked with any fluidity was Filmora (which I don't think supports RAW) at 1080, but it does have some irritating bugs that slow you down. I guess I need to upgrade my video card or just jump in, and buy a new iMac :(

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
....but what is the spec of your Macbook? My video workhorse is a 2014 iMac with an upgraded with 16GB RAM & 1 TB SSD, and I tried most of the top video editors but the only one that worked with any fluidity was Filmora (which I don't think supports RAW) at 1080, but it does have some irritating bugs that slow you down. I guess I need to upgrade my video card or just jump in, and buy a new iMac :(
Without getting into the math, basically a CODEC converts video data from the camera Into a file. The math used by different CODECs vary. Note, this is a bit of a simplification. Some of them use a form of math that is very light on the processor when it is written, but very heavy on the processor when it is read. This is so it can write a lot of data fast while on the camera and it assumes that you will process the video on a more powerful computer where the decoding of the video will have more "horsepower".

Many cameras use AVCHD, a CODEC that is notorious for requiring a lot of compute power when it is processed. ProRES and Blackmagic RAW were designed to help minimize the compute overhead while editing.

All of that to say this - you may get better performance out of your editing software and computer by simply choosing a better CODEC.

Personally, I use a workflow based on Blackmagic RAW (camera through editing) which makes my process easy and requires less compute power then if I built a workflow around AVCHD.

TurtleA1

Subscriber Goal
Although I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject. I personally use sony vegas pro 17. Its simple, easy, Has alot of how to videos for just about every aspect of the software. You don't require a hardy pc either to render videos. Overall I rate Sony Vegas pro 17 A score of 7.5/10. Hope this gave some insight of what other softwares there are besides what users have posted above. Have a wonderful day/night!

marcellasmind

Subscriber Goal
Sometimes I start editing on phone with iMovie, then I would send it to my computer and do the rest in FCPX.
I don't know if you have tried Splice, I like to edit short videos there.

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I think Filmora9 because it is easy to use and accomplishes a lot
Have you tried Filmora X? I installed it a month ago and I'm amazed at much smoother the editor seems when compared to Filmora 9 which lagged quite frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.