• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review What can I do better?

pastorjskinner

TubeBuddy Pro
User name: pastorjskinner
Title of thread: What can I do better?
Self review: So, I feel like my thumbs are good, titles are good (still working on the SEO part of it) Content is good (in my opinion :) ) Where could i do better? Perhaps better quality recording? better sound? better titles? I'm not really sure, I'm getting a lot of viewing minutes and multiple viewers but few SUBSCRIPTIONS. I have a call to action 1min into the video, subscription overlay, and another call to action at the end. Not sure where I'm missing it...I am currently posting a 10min video Mon-Fri by 7am I get 4views within the first hour then nothing til lunch and a couple more in the evening. Most traffic is driven from FaceBook Friends ... but no new subs
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTGsG24nqiGRGvKWZcBHGag
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?search/201964/

voxpreset

Subscriber Goal
First, I would change a bit the channel art, is plain and a bit outdated.
I would recommend having a short video intro after the short presentation at the beginning. Then when you have the subscribe to make it an overlay. A bit of graphic and will show nicely to attract attention while you present.
Try to combine the video with some visual elements.

Light is good, however, the background looks really bad, sorry to say that.

OP
OP
pastorjskinner

pastorjskinner

TubeBuddy Pro
Thanks Vox... I agree on the Channel Art and have plans to work on that and the subscribe thing, I just downloaded it and my editing software was crap ( I just installed Davinci so we'll get in there the right way.)
Still considering how the short intro deal and background just really happens wherever I am ... last night was cold and rainy with all the family home so i ended up in the basement :)
Thanks for your input, It just confirmed some of the things I've been thinking about.

Ca55i31984

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thanks Vox... I agree on the Channel Art and have plans to work on that and the subscribe thing, I just downloaded it and my editing software was crap ( I just installed Davinci so we'll get in there the right way.)
Still considering how the short intro deal and background just really happens wherever I am ... last night was cold and rainy with all the family home so i ended up in the basement :)
Thanks for your input, It just confirmed some of the things I've been thinking about.
Hi, I watched a couple of videos. First I will say, like the message you are talking about in the two videos I watched. Are you going for a more Podcast feel in your videos, or is it just the quiet place in the house or car that day? If you are going for a podcast feel. You might want to consider making a little studio space in your home that would be consistent and have a preacher/Godly vibe. You are on camera and are trying to gain attention from any veiwer that is looking for this kind of content. Multiple angles in your video might help as well. When you flash your subscribe buttons, try to make them overlay green screen buttons so it doesn't sidetrack people into clicking away. When you call out scriptures in the Bible, I would like to see text or even the page on screen pop up with scripture and verse highlighted via on screen recording. Not everyone will take your word for it. Seeing is beleiving. If it isn't a podcast maybe seeing you behind the pulpit or a stroll in the park while talking would intrege me more. I am very new, so take my advice with a grain of salt. This is just what I saw that would make me enjoy it more. Hope this helps or you can find the answers you are looking for. Good Luck

OP
OP
pastorjskinner

pastorjskinner

TubeBuddy Pro
Cassie,
I appreciate your feedback...I started out with the intention of doing a podcast but that didn't take off so I went to videocast (I'm actually re-doing my first 6 vids because it's just audio with powerpoint...kinda lame.
I like the scripture overlay idea, i used to do that but got away from it.
Thanks again for your insights!

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey @pastorjskinner I've had a quick squizz at your channel...

(I haven't delved into Tags or Titles...we can save that to you're further in to your journey and you've picked up more things. get the basics down, then we can focus on driving views to videos by using Titles and Tags that would get searched for)

So purely on aesthetics...

- Get yourself a cool little colourful area to shoot Videos. I clicked into 4 videos and they're much the same. Grey, White, Bland. Get somewhere that looks pleasing on the eye. Maybe a Picture on the wall. Maybe Flowers etc. I'm lucky, i've created a Bar Studio for myself. But in the old days, I just had a Roller Banner. I look back now and cringe.

- (I'm sorry, i'm gonna get shouty here too... :innocent: ;) It's meant out of Love though, i promise) I get the sneaky feeling you're shooting with your Phone??? That's fine. All my stuff is on the iPhone. They produce awesome results. However, the 4 Videos i clicked in to, i can tell you're talking into the Screen, not into the Camera Lens. So instantly you're losing that direct connection with your Audience. Imagine having a face to face conversation with someone and they're constantly looking over your shoulder. Its a personal bug bear of mine. As soon as i seen someone talking to their screen and not me, down the barrel of the lens, I'm off. I know it's easy to do, but consider just flipping the phone round and shooting into the full camera, not the Selfie one.
(If you're not shooting on a Phone...apologies!!! Are you reading notes/reading form a script??)

- Also Video wise, they appear to be in 4:3 Ratio. You get those Big Black Strips down either side of the Video. Try shooting/producing the Video in 16:9.

- Thumbnails. I don't actually know what the video is about from the Thumbs...except for the last 3 maybe, nor would I click. Use free software like Canva and make them Pop! They kinda look like a bit dated.

Hope that helps. All constructive I Hope!

OP
OP
pastorjskinner

pastorjskinner

TubeBuddy Pro
Steve,
Thanks for all the feedback, I was hoping you'd catch this thread and reply.
All good points to consider...background obviously is a big deal
I am shooting with my phone...it's an old S7. and you're right, it's in selfie mode. Had thought about turning it around but never toyed with it, I will now :)
Not using a script but notes to keep me on track ...
Ratio! that's one thing I've never thought about
I am using Canva...on less than 1/2 probably but I am familiar with it.

Thanks again...would love to shoot some more questions to you once I get going.