• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Philips Hue for video lighting

Jakobankerhansen

Has anyone considered using Philips Hue products for video lighting ? F.ex. I am wondering, if the outdoor projector product called ΓÇ£discoverΓÇ¥ would be useable as a background light, to create colorful cinematic backgrounds ?

I think the ΓÇ£DiscoverΓÇ¥ product is relatively powerful, and has a total lumen output of 2300lm - considerably more than other Hue products...

Anyone with experience/comments ?

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/p/hue-white-and-color-ambiance-discover-outdoor-floodlight/1743530V7

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Has anyone considered using Philips Hue products for video lighting ? F.ex. I am wondering, if the outdoor projector product called ΓÇ£discoverΓÇ¥ would be useable as a background light, to create colorful cinematic backgrounds ?

I think the ΓÇ£DiscoverΓÇ¥ product is relatively powerful, and has a total lumen output of 2300lm - considerably more than other Hue products...

Anyone with experience/comments ?

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/p/hue-white-and-color-ambiance-discover-outdoor-floodlight/1743530V7

I'd be cautious, maybe as background or hair light. The color accuracy might not be there, and that's really important. What we see, and what the camera sees do not always match.

BensTechLab

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.benstechlab.com
Subscriber Goal
@Jakobankerhansen I actually just bought the philips discover floodlight for exactly this idea.

But I bought it as a colored background light more than a source of white light for things you want to see in the video. I want to put a blue or purple backlight on the wall behind me to help improve overall contrast in the video.
  1. The philips hue are a good value and are "flicker free" which is why they are super popular for youtuber set design with color accents here and there.
  2. The philips discover floodlight is not as bright as "real" RGB video light like the Falcon Eyes RX-718 RGB LED panel. Unless you have a pretty small space, you might need to buy 2.
  3. There are obviously no "light modifiers" for the philips hue floodlight such as barn doors or a softbox. They have a built in diffuser which is pretty good... but I could see right away wanting to hack together some barn doors to control the spill of the backlight. For example I want blue/purple on the wall behind me, but I don't want blue/purple on the subject in the video. A barn door on the bottom of the light would make this easier to control. Brands like falconeyes also have a "honeycomb grid" to control directionality of the light.
As with all things this comes back to budget/space. If you are on a budget this may just get the job done! But if 2 of these lights and a philips hue controller are already half way to a FalconEyes RGB light.... if you can swing it... you might think about going a level up. That said I did search YouTube for home made barn doors and found a few really good videos of people making there own DIY barn doors for lights!

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I donΓÇÖt know about Philips Hue... IΓÇÖve used LIFX a few times for video but itΓÇÖs not the easiest to do. My girlfriendΓÇÖs father right now is working on his own home made light panel with CRI 92 strips and IΓÇÖm kind of wanting one myself when he has time now...

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
For me i use TP Link lights, but I use Aputure CR95 rated lights and they work well, but they're not as affordable per say. Well philips hues aren't the most affordable either haha.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
For me i use TP Link lights, but I use Aputure CR95 rated lights and they work well, but they're not as affordable per say. Well philips hues aren't the most affordable either haha.

I really want to get some proper video lights... Aputure is what I think I want to go for to do it. I've got stuff for photo work but those don't translate well for video use due to the low brightness of the modeling lights.