• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice New Youtuber. Read FAQs, did research. Still confused.

Manofgod91

Hello all.

Been lurking for a while now. I have done a lot of research on good strategies and how to create good content. Though I am still learning, I have a decent understanding of how Youtube works.

.. but, of 16 videos, I have so tiny views. I don't expect a ton as I just started 4 weeks ago- however, my views dont grow, they actually start out fine then stagnate. For instance, my video on if churches should close during coronavirus got 4 views a day for 3 days, then stopped getting views almost completely. Yet the engagement is still ~40-50%.

My concern is that my target audience is SO niche it might take years to get any decent size audience. I dont mind spending a year of 2 hours a day to get 500 subs, but a year of 2 hours a day to get 50 subs? I dont know if thats worth my time.

So a list of questions.

1. What is "normal" or ballpark normal views for the first month?
2. What is a decent "engagement" rate? I am sitting at around 40-50% for each video, which honestly I am happy with for just starting.
3. Why are my views starting out great, but then completely die off?? (getting about 5 views/day first few days, then falls off cliff)

*as another side note, I did a video using keywords, phrases, a compelling thumbnail and title, and used a similar topic/description to a video with 1.5 million views. Yet I only had 10 views. Lol.

***WARNING: MY CHANNEL IS CONTRAVERSIAL***
I am trying to start a community of true christians that are willing to engage on the hard topics, such as: church finances, church politics, church leadership, dealing with pastors that commit adultery, etc. My PURPOSE is NOT to tell you I am right, but to start a community that is willing to engage the conversation. Please keep that in mind.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
You need to post 160 videos, not 16. 16 videos is simply not enough to gather any data. Scripture is clear on our obligation to submit to authorities. Civil disobedience doesn't apply here because it isn't a civil right's issue.

You are not limited to "Churchianity" as I call it. I share my faith quite often on my channel, but it isn't a church/gospel channel.

1. There is no normal.
2. Your engagement rate depends on your audience.
3. Your views start out "great" because those people who get notifications will almost immediately watch your video. It dies off because they have finished watching the video. From there you will have to have good thumbnails and SEO to be found in search over time. By time I mean years.

Comparing yourself to others is not how the faith goes.

"I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name." (Rev. 3:8b)

You are not guaranteed massive growth just because you do all the right things. That's simply not how the faith works. In the end you must ask yourself: , Are you doing this for your own glory or for the glory of the faith itself and for God himself? If you were to never grow beyond where you are now, would you still continue? This is the true trial of a YouTuber, and it's applicable whether secular or sacred.

OP
OP
Manofgod91

Manofgod91

Alright ! Thank you for the response!!

First, I agree about your civil rights comment. You didnt watch the video :) Side discussion, but I seek truth, whether it hurts or not. That's the point of my channel. My righties and evangelicals made this virus thing a partisan issue and it wasnt. That's their fault.

Second, I want it to be church and politics when they intersect. That's just my area of interest. But because I seek truth and dont play to the conservative and liberal sides.. it really narrows an already niche boat.

3. For the engagements, I didnt know YouTube analytics show where the views come from. Almost all of them are from friends sharing and subs viewing. So you are correct! YouTube isn't really showing my videos in search or suggested videos often. My click through rate is about 6 percent.

Lastly, thanks for the Biblically based exhortation.

My purpose is to reach, teach and engage. Of course I want to springboard into a possible career with this after years of hard work (who doesn't) but if I am not reaching I am not teaching and not engaging. Patience I have. However, knowledge of if my strategy is not working or just needs time, I am not sure of. It sounds to me like you are saying the strategy is fine, just needs time. Is this what you are saying ? If so, I am happy.

Thanks again. I'm curious to check out your religious videos.

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You need to post 160 videos, not 16. 16 videos is simply not enough to gather any data. Scripture is clear on our obligation to submit to authorities. Civil disobedience doesn't apply here because it isn't a civil right's issue.

You are not limited to "Churchianity" as I call it. I share my faith quite often on my channel, but it isn't a church/gospel channel.

1. There is no normal.
2. Your engagement rate depends on your audience.
3. Your views start out "great" because those people who get notifications will almost immediately watch your video. It dies off because they have finished watching the video. From there you will have to have good thumbnails and SEO to be found in search over time. By time I mean years.

Comparing yourself to others is not how the faith goes.

"I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name." (Rev. 3:8b)

You are not guaranteed massive growth just because you do all the right things. That's simply not how the faith works. In the end you must ask yourself: , Are you doing this for your own glory or for the glory of the faith itself and for God himself? If you were to never grow beyond where you are now, would you still continue? This is the true trial of a YouTuber, and it's applicable whether secular or sacred.
What you said thatΓÇÖs a perfect answer.

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have now posted 90 videos and IΓÇÖm really only now just starting to get organic views. IΓÇÖve been on YouTube for 6 mths. I think if youΓÇÖre a God fairing man and want to discuss those subjects you also need to be aware of the specific target of those subjects. Merely copying someone wonΓÇÖt get views. If someone is already following a big you tuber and your video shows up underneath they will click on who they know. ItΓÇÖs just a fact. God doesnΓÇÖt allow idle hands my friend you must work hard and if you feel itΓÇÖs a waste of time then you must question why you are going down this path. WhatΓÇÖs your motivation? Is it passion for the subject or is it just to make it big? The hardest part for small you tubers is not taking it to heart that people donΓÇÖt want to watch or when you donΓÇÖt get subscribers. The moment I let that side of things go, and also with my connection with God and and the wonderful advice on here, I changed my direction and realised why I started the channel to begin with. ThatΓÇÖs the question really, whatΓÇÖs your motive. Good luck and great question

OP
OP
Manofgod91

Manofgod91

Love this. 6 months just to start getting organic views ? That's encouraging because then at least I know I am on the right path!

Reactions: Damon

blackbeltsecrets

BlackBeltBarrister
www.blackbeltbarrister.com
Subscriber Goal
1. What is "normal" or ballpark normal views for the first month?
Definitely no "normal" - some videos have had close to zero and I thought it was a total wipeout, only to go onto 300k to 4m views over several years

2. What is a decent "engagement" rate? I am sitting at around 40-50% for each video, which honestly I am happy with for just starting.
My view is 40-50% is great - higher even better, but don't be too disappointed with 30-40%!

3. Why are my views starting out great, but then completely die off?? (getting about 5 views/day first few days, then falls off cliff)
This is because YouTube pushes your videos out to a bunch of viewers to see how they react. If they don't engage, it stops promoting them - harsh reality ... but they may pick up over time with search and others.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Love this. 6 months just to start getting organic views ? That's encouraging because then at least I know I am on the right path!

Well, no one knows how long it will take for you to start getting organic views. It took six months for him, that may or may not happen for you. Shoot for a goal of 100 to 150 videos. That will give you enough data to understand what's going on. Five videos per week for six months = 100 videos.

• Love
Reactions: TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, no one knows how long it will take for you to start getting organic views. It took six months for him, that may or may not happen for you. Shoot for a goal of 100 to 150 videos. That will give you enough data to understand what's going on. Five videos per week for six months = 100 videos.

This here is so important and often overlooked!