• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Camera Gear Best way to reduce shaking

Virtual Road Trip

Familiar Member
Hey everyone I've recently started using my cell phone to record video since its much higher quality than the dash cams I used to use. Only problem is my videos are very shaky when Im walking and my breathing can always be heard in the background even though Im not out of breath or anything. I've heard there are phone holders with gimbals to reduce shaking but I have no idea what to look for with any of this. Any help is appreciated thanks.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey everyone I've recently started using my cell phone to record video since its much higher quality than the dash cams I used to use. Only problem is my videos are very shaky when Im walking and my breathing can always be heard in the background even though Im not out of breath or anything. I've heard there are phone holders with gimbals to reduce shaking but I have no idea what to look for with any of this. Any help is appreciated thanks.

What phone do you have, and how are you holding it? This can help a lot :)

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I have a Samsung A10e. I just hold it by hand right now.
How are you gripping it? I find that when I record, it's easier for me to stabilize if I grip the whole back of the phone (my palm is resting against the back) instead of hold it like this:
1586995222498.png

OP
OP
Virtual Road Trip

Virtual Road Trip

Familiar Member
How are you gripping it? I find that when I record, it's easier for me to stabilize if I grip the whole back of the phone (my palm is resting against the back) instead of hold it like this:
View attachment 4860
Thats about how I hold it. Sometimes I shade the sun with my fingers if the glare is too much. I can hold it pretty steady when Im standing still the problem is when I'm walking. Even when I walk slow and softly it still comes out shaky. I tried correcting it in editing but that made it look worse.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Thats about how I hold it. Sometimes I shade the sun with my fingers if the glare is too much. I can hold it pretty steady when Im standing still the problem is when I'm walking. Even when I walk slow and softly it still comes out shaky. I tried correcting it in editing but that made it look worse.
What's the way you hold it? Sorry, didn't catch that :x

Well, the other thing I use is a mini tripod for my phone, so I don't have to hold it directly.

OP
OP
Virtual Road Trip

Virtual Road Trip

Familiar Member
What's the way you hold it? Sorry, didn't catch that :x

Well, the other thing I use is a mini tripod for my phone, so I don't have to hold it directly.
Yes I was thinking about getting one of those I had just heard there was equipment that could help stabilize the phone while recording. Maybe its the same thing I'm not sure.

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
There are a lot of phone gimbals out there. These are some of the brands that I recommend: DJI, Zhiyun, Feiyu, Moza. If you want a cheaper alternative, a Joby gorillapod might do the job if you are steady enough. ;)

AussieBangerz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Most of my filming is stationary but I purchased a DJI Osmo Mobile gimble for when I wanted to film while walking around..
Once you get the hang of it, its perfect.

TakeEachDay

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Gimbles are quite pricey we got a Joby mini tripod and it does help. When I donΓÇÖt use it I notice how terrible my filming is lol. Laptop first then gimble for us. Even a selfie stick makes it more steady funny enough. ItΓÇÖs surprising how much we move our hands when we move even if we think weΓÇÖre not lol

Reactions: Mario So

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
There are a lot of phone gimbals out there. These are some of the brands that I recommend: DJI, Zhiyun, Feiyu, Moza. If you want a cheaper alternative, a Joby gorillapod might do the job if you are steady enough. ;)

These are great! Joby the people from gorillapods, Have Gimbals too now for phones they work pretty well! :D

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
If you gotta hold it by hand use two hands. But I agree with @Damon if you can get your hands on a gorillapod or tripod (or even just set the phone on a stack of books) you'll get WAY better footage.

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Virtual Road Trip

Virtual Road Trip

Familiar Member
Thanks for the tips everyone I just purchased something based on the recommendations and I'm excited to see how it works. Hopefully this helps my film making over all. Thanks again!

Reactions: Ikerot

Destruction slayer

Subscriber Goal
I bought a gimble last month for my phone and it works great it can be used with any phone so I didn't have to find one specially for my phone