• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review How can I make my cuts smoother so that I don't look like such a complete amateur?

Lou C

Subscriber Goal
User name: Lou C
Title of thread: How can I make my cuts smoother so that I don't look like such a complete amateur?
Self review: Hi everyone, Hope you're all safe and well. I was hoping that I might be able to get some advice please? I'm very new to doing videos, just coming into my 4th week and just uploaded my 11th video (I know... total newbie here) and I feel like I'm learning and producing better quality videos every time I do one. However, my cuts really stink. I do a fair few cuts as I am giving info that I'm reading and sometimes stammer, or stumble over words etc, plus I have 4 very needy animals that like to interrupt me when I'm trying to record. Anyhooo, I've tried to stay in the same position, keep my head in the same place but my cuts are still SOOO noticeable and I don't know how to improve them. I use Kinemaster to edit my videos in case that's relevant. Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks so much in advance, Lou <3
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://youtu.be/T0ZloD1Ew64

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/26680/

Jonnoi

Recognized Member
Member of the Month
Subscriber Goal
Hi Lou c great video by the way :cool: . what program do you use to edit? Well basically what I do is cut all the moments where I pause or stop talking as close as possible. So for example if paused in a clip I would cut the clip as soon as I stoped talking then for the other clip I would cut out that portion of the clip to exactly where I open my mouth to start a new sentence in the new clip. I takes a little practice but I hope you understand what I'm explaining :blush:

• Love
Reactions: Lou C and Ikerot
OP
OP
Lou C

Lou C

Subscriber Goal
Hi Lou c great video by the way :cool: . what program do you use to edit? Well basically what I do is cut all the moments where I pause or stop talking as close as possible. So for example if paused in a clip I would cut the clip as soon as I stoped talking then for the other clip I would cut out that portion of the clip to exactly where I open my mouth to start a new sentence in the new clip. I takes a little practice but I hope you understand what I'm explaining :blush:

That's great advice. Thank you!
I guess it's just practice!
Appreciate you taking the time to respond!

• Love
Reactions: Damon and Jonnoi
OP
OP
Lou C

Lou C

Subscriber Goal
Buy this book: "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck:"
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF0z9k93Y9Q

Furthermore, in order to get the "smoothness" you're talking about, you need at least two cameras. Five would be more like it. But that's sort of advanced. First you need to learn how to use one camera effectively, thus book book I mentioned above.
Perfect! I'll check that book and video out.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Damon

Jonnoi

Recognized Member
Member of the Month
Subscriber Goal
That's great advice. Thank you!
I guess it's just practice!
Appreciate you taking the time to respond!
You're welcome :blush:. Remember we're here to help each other so. You can ask anything and we will help to the best of our ability :cool:. Glad i could help Lou c.

Reactions: Lou C

Maridanee

Hey girl! I checked out your video and honestly I really donΓÇÖt think the cuts are too much of an issue. TheyΓÇÖre noticeable when you point them out but otherwise the story is interesting and I found myself interested in the story and not worrying about the cuts.
However, I think a great place to start there is really getting to know your info instead of just reading it cold, then youΓÇÖll have less stutters youΓÇÖll want to cut out! Try and read up on a paragraph and memorised (or put it into your own words so you remember it) use emphasis on certain words to keep the audience engaged and that will help you remember the lines.
Lastly, just keep practicing it all comes with time and you are doing a great job so far!

• Love
Reactions: Lou C
OP
OP
Lou C

Lou C

Subscriber Goal
Hey girl! I checked out your video and honestly I really donΓÇÖt think the cuts are too much of an issue. TheyΓÇÖre noticeable when you point them out but otherwise the story is interesting and I found myself interested in the story and not worrying about the cuts.
However, I think a great place to start there is really getting to know your info instead of just reading it cold, then youΓÇÖll have less stutters youΓÇÖll want to cut out! Try and read up on a paragraph and memorised (or put it into your own words so you remember it) use emphasis on certain words to keep the audience engaged and that will help you remember the lines.
Lastly, just keep practicing it all comes with time and you are doing a great job so far!

Hi Maridanee!

Thank you SO much for your feedback! I totally agree about learning the story and I have been making sure to do this on videos since. I do tend to stutter/stumble over my words in normal conversation lol, but it's something I'm working on.
Appreciate you taking the time to watch and provide feedback! Thank you!!!! <3

• Love
Reactions: Maridanee