• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Playlists To Grow Channel

White Bread

TubeBuddy Pro
Hi there!

I find using playlists rather helpful because it keeps the viewer on your channel for a longer period of time (that is, of course, if the viewer finds our content entertaining), which is a big plus for the Youtube algorithm. It seems to me to be a good practice to get into to also keep your content organized and make it easier for the viewer to navigate your content...(especially if one does a few different topics.)
Also, I think it is essential for musicians and artists, because of the nature of their creations :)

Reactions: ASMRSadie
OP
OP
ASMRSadie

ASMRSadie

ASMR Sadie
Subscriber Goal
I try to put every one of my videos in a playlist. It helps keep things organized for me. As a viewer, I appreciate it when a content creator has their videos in playlists. It helps me find content when I'm looking for it.
I agree once you have a larger number of videos itΓÇÖs really a smart thing to do. I too like when a youtuber makes playlists to find their content easier.

Hi there!

I find using playlists rather helpful because it keeps the viewer on your channel for a longer period of time (that is, of course, if the viewer finds our content entertaining), which is a big plus for the Youtube algorithm. It seems to me to be a good practice to get into to also keep your content organized and make it easier for the viewer to navigate your content...(especially if one does a few different topics.)
Also, I think it is essential for musicians and artists, because of the nature of their creations :)
I couldnΓÇÖt agree more. I read somewhere a youtuber would make videos at least once or twice per week and create a few playlists weekly. They said they saw a big increase in subscribers by doing it.

Reactions: White Bread

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Do you guys create playlists on your channel? Have you noticed it helping with your channel growth? How often do you create a playlist?
One of the coolest tricks I learned was from Brian G who said to make a "most recent" playlist. You give it a cool name like "My latest videos" and that way you can custom curate your home page. If you want to give more attention to a video a few uploads previous, you can simply not add your most recent video to that playlist, and it won't show up on your home page like it would the default way.

On my channel I do a range of things, so I have a playlist for quick videos, a playlist for full length tutorials, and because I do drawings of dinosaurs, I have a playlist for the most popular individual dinosaurs, and it's a great way to fill out your homepage to give a large variaty.

You can't do that without playlists. Plus (unsure if it still applies now) but a few years ago, YouTube counted making a playlist as making content, so it would push you out a little bit and would show a signal to YouTube that you were still active even if you weren't uploading.

Also you can give a playlist a custom description which acts as extra SEO.

Screenshot (3578).png

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Do you guys create playlists on your channel? Have you noticed it helping with your channel growth? How often do you create a playlist?
Yes, I try to create a playlist for every new series I have. If you optimize your video and your playlist well, people might be able to see your playlist when they search :)

Also, if you have it in a playlist, it is easier for YT to recommend people the next part of the series and it can keep people on your videos instead of flocking to another.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
My personal philosophy on playlists:

They are super important for several reasons. For starters, they are a great way of sectioning off content. If you divide up your content by playlists that are centered around a specific topic you gain the opportunity for viewers to watch more videos on that subject. They also make for a much better presentation on your home page.

Plus, think about what your page is going to look like when you have published 1,000 videos. You don't need to bury older videos, rather they can be valuable additions to a playlist and continue to thrive.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

They work amazing! They are a great way to make it EASY for people to watch your content in bulk! You should be using them, and look at what people are searching for if you can add it as a playlist! They're a great feature and should be used! :D

BillyBoy

TubeBuddy Pro
I dont know if im the only one doing that. I have one smaller YouTuber i really like and i dont donate money or anything like that BUT he has a playlist for all his videos. Sometimes if i go to bed i just let the playlist play on my phone. Thats a small thing i can do and helps him getting 100% watchtime on his videos and of course all the ads which are played.

So thats one reason why playlist really help too :D

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I dont know if im the only one doing that. I have one smaller YouTuber i really like and i dont donate money or anything like that BUT he has a playlist for all his videos. Sometimes if i go to bed i just let the playlist play on my phone. Thats a small thing i can do and helps him getting 100% watchtime on his videos and of course all the ads which are played.

So thats one reason why playlist really help too :D

I've done things like that occasionally. I do know that with my channel being 25k in size, when I find a smaller channel with a video I like, I'll sometimes pop them into a playlist with my videos. It's a nice way to send a mass of people to another artist as a form of community. While it might take eyes away from my videos, it's not taking eyes off platform, and if the session continues, it still benifits my channel as well.

I think I remember hearing someone at vidsummit or somewhere else talking about how making a playlist to send your traffic to another similar related video, can actually get YOUR videos suggested onto their videos because it's sending linked traffic. I should look more into that one.

BillyBoy

TubeBuddy Pro
I've done things like that occasionally. I do know that with my channel being 25k in size, when I find a smaller channel with a video I like, I'll sometimes pop them into a playlist with my videos. It's a nice way to send a mass of people to another artist as a form of community. While it might take eyes away from my videos, it's not taking eyes off platform, and if the session continues, it still benifits my channel as well.

I think I remember hearing someone at vidsummit or somewhere else talking about how making a playlist to send your traffic to another similar related video, can actually get YOUR videos suggested onto their videos because it's sending linked traffic. I should look more into that one.

Thats actually a nice way to help someone out! Respect for that.

Im sure i can also work if someone creates a playlist and a lot of other creator add 1 video to the playlist. Everybody of them should be also present the playlist on their channel.

• Love

tracyrepchuk

TubeBuddy Pro
TracyRepchuk.com
Subscriber Goal
Yes, I try to create a playlist for every new series I have. If you optimize your video and your playlist well, people might be able to see your playlist when they search :)

Also, if you have it in a playlist, it is easier for YT to recommend people the next part of the series and it can keep people on your videos instead of flocking to another.
Once you have created the playlist - how do you re-order the lists - move one from bottom to top?

OP
OP
ASMRSadie

ASMRSadie

ASMR Sadie
Subscriber Goal
One of the coolest tricks I learned was from Brian G who said to make a "most recent" playlist. You give it a cool name like "My latest videos" and that way you can custom curate your home page. If you want to give more attention to a video a few uploads previous, you can simply not add your most recent video to that playlist, and it won't show up on your home page like it would the default way.

On my channel I do a range of things, so I have a playlist for quick videos, a playlist for full length tutorials, and because I do drawings of dinosaurs, I have a playlist for the most popular individual dinosaurs, and it's a great way to fill out your homepage to give a large variaty.

You can't do that without playlists. Plus (unsure if it still applies now) but a few years ago, YouTube counted making a playlist as making content, so it would push you out a little bit and would show a signal to YouTube that you were still active even if you weren't uploading.

Also you can give a playlist a custom description which acts as extra SEO.

View attachment 4718
ThatΓÇÖs a really good idea! I think I might do it. I know that at least on mobile it limits how many of my videos it shows. That could really help. Thanks for sharing.

Huh I never thought of that. But itΓÇÖs a good idea. Plus youΓÇÖre helping other channels too. I might try this with my playlists.

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I keep all my videos in playlists and have certain playlists set to "Set as official series for this playlist" which means that they will play in order and if someone catches the first video they will be directed to the second, third, and so on. This was a huge help as one of my videos was really popular but I found that the second video in the series wasn't being watched. Once I set that setting I found a huge boost to traffic as people started watching a 40 video series I had.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm now trying to look/learn how to make "official playlists" they're apparently differant to regular playlists, but YouTube don't make it as obvious as to how to set them up. Rather than have a playlist for topics and themes, it's a playlist SPECIFICALLY for linking one video to another "part 1" "part 2" etc. Nick talks about it all the time, but it's not obvious in studio where that is.

Reactions: WorldComposting

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I'm now trying to look/learn how to make "official playlists" they're apparently differant to regular playlists, but YouTube don't make it as obvious as to how to set them up. Rather than have a playlist for topics and themes, it's a playlist SPECIFICALLY for linking one video to another "part 1" "part 2" etc. Nick talks about it all the time, but it's not obvious in studio where that is.

Let me see if I can help!

To set "official playlists" go into one of your playlists and you should see three dots "..." click on that and hit the gear "Playlist Settings". A new white window should pop up with two options "Allow embedding" and "Add new videos to top of playlist" with switches look below them and you will see "ADVANCED SETTINGS" click on that.

After you click it will flash and a new Playlist settings screen will open. On the right side under "Additional Options" you will see a check box with the text "Set as official series for this playlist" that is what you are looking for!

I was shocked at how quickly my views went up after I did this for some of my playlists. Just remember you can only have a video in one Official playlist.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Let me see if I can help!

To set "official playlists" go into one of your playlists and you should see three dots "..." click on that and hit the gear "Playlist Settings". A new white window should pop up with two options "Allow embedding" and "Add new videos to top of playlist" with switches look below them and you will see "ADVANCED SETTINGS" click on that.

After you click it will flash and a new Playlist settings screen will open. On the right side under "Additional Options" you will see a check box with the text "Set as official series for this playlist" that is what you are looking for!

I was shocked at how quickly my views went up after I did this for some of my playlists. Just remember you can only have a video in one Official playlist.
Thanks for that :) yeah I was aware of most of that except how to get there :p YouTube have never had the best playlist user interface, considering how many people like watching playlists, yet creators don't use them as often as they should! :) I appreciate the help :)

Reactions: WorldComposting

TheAGames10

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
A bunch of people on YT has at least one or more playlists...

I have so many playlists, my YT pages freezes for a few secs while trying to load them all, lol.

PBJoe

How's it going? I'm Joe. This is my first post so I hope I'm using the forum correct. I'm a new guy. We'll I'm old but new to YouTube.

I only have 22 videos (it's month 1). I'm a travel/expat channel. The few videos I have, I organized Baja Adventures, Bangkok travel, etc.. in playlists.

I know the answer is to keep putting up more content. I'm working on that. I'd like to make a playlist (mostly for fun) something like "Old School Music For Expats." Try to keyword the playlist, etc.. Maybe I'll get that guy my age looking for Social Distortion 1988 who finds my channel and playlist. Maybe after the tunes, they take a look at my channel.

Plus if someone is checking out say a Baja 1000 video on my channel and they see the playlist. Then head over and listen to Bad Religion, etc... for 15 minutes. I get a little credit for the session time. Correct? I know the goal is to keep them at my channel. But with 5 videos on Bangkok, 5 on Baja, etc.. Until I get more content, I'm gonna lose them anyhow. Why not try and keep them on my playlist?

Again, I'll put more effort on my own channel. But I can make this playlist in an hour. Plus it'll be fun. Even though I get no credit, I might get a few people like my content, but love the music. They might say, I'll subscribe he's getting better. Plus I can say new music video posted every Friday or something like that.

The main concern I have. If I make a playlist and let's say it's a concert clip. Will the copywrite music be any future problem for me. Of course some day, I'd like to monetize. To be clear, the playlist will take you to another YouTube channel. But it will be on my channel listed in a playlist.

Thanks. Again first post, so I hope I posted in the correct place. I'll work on keeping my post more brief.