• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Why Do My Videos Perform So Well After 140 Days?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I am curious if anybody has seen this or has some insight on what's going on here... A sizeable portion of the videos that I have put out in the last 9 months have all experienced a noticeable increase in traffic after the 140 day mark. I don't think this is seasonal, as it happens after 140 days regardless of posting date. I have noticed that my AVD and watchtime improve as the notifications reduce and I start to gain search traffic, and I theorize that it simply takes 140 days to get to the point where my videos are more viable in suggested at that point, but I don't feel the increase in AVD and watchtime warrant the big jumps that I am seeing. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
140daygrowth.png

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Seasonal trends. Fishing follows a seasonal trend. As the years go on you will see these pulses in the marketplace. 140 days ago people were quit fishing and watching football or going hunting. Now they're thinking about fishing again= uptick!

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
Most likely, you had a video that someone picked up on. They promoted to a channel, which brought more viewers. If you have your videos set up right, they might have watched one video, then moved to a more popular one on your list.

As you grow, your videos help you grow, too. You're at 2.84k subs. Where were you 140 days ago? What about your popular videos?

Little "bumps" are not uncommon. And it's not a seasonal trend. People that like to fish like to think about fishing. That's why we have the ice shanty.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Yes ,they do like to think about fishing, but there are definite season trends in the fishing niche. Even with ice shanties and such, well, again if you are a warm-water fishermen, and your audience is warm-water fishermen, there is a seasonal trend. Stanley is in Texas and I'm in Alabama, and we can both assure you that there are seasonal trends. Whether those trends apply to this particular video, who know? However, it's curious that he asks this question right when fishermen in north American are switching to an active mode: more on that later.

That's why many fishing channels are dual sport. They switch to hunting amid autumn and winter. Many fishing T.V. shows have done this over the years because that's the seasonal trend. Just like gardening sells best in spring, although gardeners think about gardening all the time, there is a seasonal trend: things don't grow in winter because there isn't enough sunlight. The only thing to do is wait until the planet tilt forward again.

You simply cannot discount seasonal trends in the outdoors niche. This is one of the areas traditional YouTubers and teachers don't seem to understand. We deal with things that simple don't apply from other areas/niches. We have to pace ourselves at the pace of the planet itself. If it isn't the season for active fishing, most fishermen will do something else to take their minds off fishing until the next active season comes around. This always-on mentality of modern internet culture doesn't necessarily apply to fishermen and other outdoors sports/activities.

Warm climate people don't do cold climate activities. And passively thinking about fishing is different than actively planning for fishing. I've found that fishermen and hunters don't watch lots of videos when they are not in an active mode. Facts.

I can watch the weather and as soon as the first warm front of February rolls in here in the southeastern USA, that when you'll see fishermen at the boat dock,. That's also when you start seeing a slight uptick in views and subscribers. It happens without fail, every year. The season always peaks at about July 4th, then goes into decline for the rest of the year, wit a list uptick around the time school starts, but only briefly.

So seasonal trends are real in the fishing niche. They are real in other outdoors sports and activities, but you'll never hear that from the YouTube teacher types because they simply don't inhabitant that world, nor do they understand how those trends play into building and structuring your content to take the best advantage of those trends.

Also when those seasonal trend and uptick happen on the many sales start coming in not long after. Six years worth of data say this is fact.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I'm familiar with seasonal trends in fishing, and i don't think that is what is happening. It's has happened for about a dozen videos: 140-160 days they take off. Started as early as last february (2019) saw it with videos posted in june and september as well. Could be an external influence like what Mr Powers was saying, if thats the case i didnt even think to check it.

And i do not mean to discount seasonality; ive seen the rises and falls of views in summer and winter months. That definitely happens. This just doesnt seem to coincide.

Reactions: Damon

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm familiar with seasonal trends in fishing, and i don't think that is what is happening. It's has happened for about a dozen videos: 140-160 days they take off. Started as early as last february (2019) saw it with videos posted in june and september as well. Could be an external influence like what Mr Powers was saying, if thats the case i didnt even think to check it.

And i do not mean to discount seasonality; ive seen the rises and falls of views in summer and winter months. That definitely happens. This just doesnt seem to coincide.

They way YouTube works is that it looks for patterns between content! If it notices one video is performing it might suggest others. What would be more helpful for me to give you an answer is the traffic source on this one :)

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal

Understood. I stand corrected.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Not at all Damon... you had the right idea. Nothing incorrect about that!

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
@Andrew on this video traffic source after the spike is 60% channel pages and 22% Playlists, prior to the spike it was 56% Suggested (98% of suggested came from a foreign video whose title I can't understand) 16% External (mostly forums I posted to) and 16% search.

• Love

Dradus

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It's a similar thing in gaming. A lot of games go through "seasonal" updates to the games so a lot of content creators will talk about the new things happening or game patches so these are then picked up by the algorithm. I'm still trying to figure that part out myself :)

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
@Andrew on this video traffic source after the spike is 60% channel pages and 22% Playlists, prior to the spike it was 56% Suggested (98% of suggested came from a foreign video whose title I can't understand) 16% External (mostly forums I posted to) and 16% search.

Is that based on lifetime or last 30? Seems like people find your channel and or come from other sources to your channel, which is good. The thing to focus on is growth, and seeing what you can do to get your audience out of the gate interested. How are you finding your latest video performing? :D

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
@Andrew That is lifetime for a single video. Recent video is performing very well, #2 of last 10 though with far more watchtime than #1 (its a far longer video). Its following a slightly better trajectory than the rest, though it is honestly one of the better videos I've done and I kind of set it up for the success its seeing. We are 6 days in, so still needs time to tell.