• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Editing Software Digital Film Grain

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been experimenting with adding digital film grain to some of my video. Honestly I hate the way it looks. When YouTube gets done rendering it, it looks like a splotchy mess. Have any of your used digital film grain with success on YouTube?

Also I find that a Tiffen Black Satin #1 filter has enough grit to it that I don't need film grain, especially with all the noise reduction turned off in the E2C cine camera by Z-cam.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been experimenting with adding digital film grain to some of my video. Honestly I hate the way it looks. When YouTube gets done rendering it, it looks like a splotchy mess. Have any of your used digital film grain with success on YouTube?

Also I find that a Tiffen Black Satin #1 filter has enough grit to it that I don't need film grain, especially with all the noise reduction turned off in the E2C cine camera by Z-cam.

I like it, but it's all preference. It also depends the project. I think for most YouTube videos, it might be too much, but for films and documentaries it can add a level of realness.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I SOMETIMES add little bit of grain to zoomed in shots of what I'm working on because the grain helps add some slight sharpness.

I've added grain a lot to photos in the past to good effect, but I just noticed when watching Peter Mckinnon's videos, that there is still compression applied by YouTube that would mess with grain, unlike with netflix which does amazing film grain.

Unless you're after a highly dramatic horror aesthetic I wouldn't worry about it unless it's to digitally add some sharpness to footage.

Reactions: Damon