• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Advice iPad Pro Gen3 f/Mobile editing?s

GearVlogz

TubeBuddy Pro
www.gearvlogz.com
Subscriber Goal
Been thinking of saving up to get an iPad Pro Gen3. Is anyone currently using an iPad Pro for video editing? How much storage do you have? I was thinking of getting the 64GB iPad Pro and using an external HDD for importing/exporting files. Also any recommendations for editing s/w on the iPad? I was thinking of using Adobe Rush since I currently use Premiere Elements 15 now and if I need to work more on a project I could switch between the two. TIA

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Been thinking of saving up to get an iPad Pro Gen3. Is anyone currently using an iPad Pro for video editing? How much storage do you have? I was thinking of getting the 64GB iPad Pro and using an external HDD for importing/exporting files. Also any recommendations for editing s/w on the iPad? I was thinking of using Adobe Rush since I currently use Premiere Elements 15 now and if I need to work more on a project I could switch between the two. TIA

I saw at the YT space LA that people there use only their IPAD For videos and editing, I do think it's possible, but for me that space limitation is the biggest hold up.

OP
OP
GearVlogz

GearVlogz

TubeBuddy Pro
www.gearvlogz.com
Subscriber Goal
I saw at the YT space LA that people there use only their IPAD For videos and editing, I do think it's possible, but for me that space limitation is the biggest hold up.
Yeah, that was one of the reasons why for my post. After my last content gathering trip to Vegas #SEMA2019 with Aaron. It made me think I need to find ways to lighten up my gear load for projects. After gaining access to the Press/Media center and all that they offered us, for next year and at other events being on-location filming content then hit the media center to write up a blog post and maybe start editing a video and if I need to go back for a reshoot or something I missed having a light editing rig like the iPad makes sense to me.

All the YouTube videos I found while searching about using an iPad Pro for video editing don't go into how much memory they have. They just generally talk about the overall experience.

Maybe this is just a pipe dream for wanting to improve my workflow. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, that was one of the reasons why for my post. After my last content gathering trip to Vegas #SEMA2019 with Aaron. It made me think I need to find ways to lighten up my gear load for projects. After gaining access to the Press/Media center and all that they offered us, for next year and at other events being on-location filming content then hit the media center to write up a blog post and maybe start editing a video and if I need to go back for a reshoot or something I missed having a light editing rig like the iPad makes sense to me.

All the YouTube videos I found while searching about using an iPad Pro for video editing don't go into how much memory they have. They just generally talk about the overall experience.

Maybe this is just a pipe dream for wanting to improve my workflow. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think it's a pipe-dream, are their adapters you could use to hook up a small External Hard drive?

OP
OP
GearVlogz

GearVlogz

TubeBuddy Pro
www.gearvlogz.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't think it's a pipe-dream, are their adapters you could use to hook up a small External Hard drive?
Yep, They have these USB-C Hubs that you can get then used for whatever hookups i.e. USB-A, 3.5mm Audio, card reader etc.. My concern is if I cheap out and get the entry-level model will that 64GB be enough?

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Yep, They have these USB-C Hubs that you can get then used for whatever hookups i.e. USB-A, 3.5mm Audio, card reader etc.. My concern is if I cheap out and get the entry-level model will that 64GB be enough?

When it comes to storage I never cheap out. It's SO Crucial to a video, so I'd recommend making sure you you get something maybe from Westerndigital, or Seagate :) I rather have more than I need than less. I'd say you can get 5TB for 100 not super cheap, but A LOT of space.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
iPad Pro Gen1 still works amazingly well with 256gb storage iPad Pro gen 3 has gone from lighting adaptor to usb C so backup speeds would be significantly improved. If you backup your footage every few months you'll be fine. I've recorded a few 20gb sceen recordings while playing pokemon go.

Gen generally get 3 hours of pokemon go while screen recording at the same time. I imagine gen 3 would improve on that. Without playing pokemon go I get about 4-6 hours depending.

There's a few decent editing apps. It's light weight and the 12 inch screen does a nice job with editing.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal

If you have a usb c external drive you don't need an adaptor. You can use iPad OS file manager to treat the hard drive like a usb stick. Only recently added as a feature with the new iOS