YouTube News If You're A Gaming Youtuber This Youtube Update Is For You

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
As Youtube continues to make changes to their rules and policies to ensure the wrong kind of content is not uploaded or stays up for long on the website to protect its viewers, especially children, it's up to the Youtube community to stay on top of these changes and share what we find to make sure content creators are aware of these changes that can either benefit or hurt them.

According to this document updated within the last 24 hours of writing this, Google/Youtube is updating their Violent or graphic content policies section this week to change how violence and gore in videogames will now be treated the same as other types of scripted content so long as the video is not specifically focusing on the violence and the gore itself. This means gaming videos are less likely to be age-restricted. Bare in mind Youtube can still age-restrict videogame videos with violence and gore based on restriction mentioned before.

Violent or graphic content policies - YouTube Help.png

Also, be aware this is a change in content policy and not a change to advertiser-friendly guidelines which is separate. In other words, your videos can still be deemed not advertiser-friendly even if it's not age-restricted as before.

This is good for gaming channels as it gives us more freedom in our content and we have less to worry about when it comes to Youtube policies. But be aware that there are more changes coming to Youtube in the coming months such as the COPPA issue, the adult vs kids rating system implemented by Youtube and much more so keep an eye out and stay informed.

We are not out of the woods yet, especially us gamers. As we all know while many make not make gaming videos specifically aimed at kids under 13 (based on the game content, the language and/or channel style), gaming is a hobby mostly aimed at children (like most Nintendo games) or can be extremely attractive to them thus Youtube will still look at gaming videos as potentially aimed at children.

Thanks for reading. Tell me what you think about these changes in the comments below.

U

User1111

I like the changes, however, I feel I need to bring some things up concerning COPPA.
The FTC clarified this though with their Nov 22nd update blog and even YouTube changed some language in their "Determining if your content is made for kids" document so all of us are not as at risk as a lot of people are claiming. I'm not going to just play super violent games because the majority of people think everything that isn't, is aimed at kids. When it comes to COPPA is doesn't matter what people think about the subject. What matters is what YouTube and the FTC think about it. Also, a majority of Nintendo games are general audiences plus gaming is not just a child's past-time. Both of those things have empirical data to prove that fact. I'm not trying to argue here. I'm merely stating facts.
YouTube: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9528076?hl=en
FTC: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2019/11/youtube-channel-owners-your-content-directed-children
(please look at more than the bullet points on each document)
Evidence to support gaming is not just a child geared past time:
https://lmcexperience.com/perspectives/2018/04/10/gaming-is-a-worthy-pastime/ <- talks about how gaming is a good activity for any age.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/05/why-grown-ups-should-play-more-video-games <- Seven reasons why it's good for adults to play video games
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/what-age-should-you-stop-playing-video-games-flna122182 <- Mentions the average age of gamers is 37
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5786876/ <- A mental health study that suggests playing video games can be used as therapy
https://blog.ted.com/7-talks-on-the-benefits-of-gaming/ <- benefits of gaming on the brain.
Again I'm not meaning the argue here. I just hope YouTube and the FTC will get up to speed with this and gamer won't have to move to another platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
BraveStarrTG

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
This article was not based on the FTC and COPPA thing but on YT making changes on an existing policy to make it easier for gaming channels to create content will less of an issue.

No one is saying for you to play super violent games, I'm not sure where you're getting that argument. The FTC may not be an issue, especially that $42,000 fine that was mentioned many times before, but YT has yet to change their adult vs kids category feature so they can still cause problems for gaming channel who want to monetize and their content is not necessarily for kids but more of a mixed content type of video.

The idea is to stay informed so we can help each other and ensure we stay one step ahead of any potential problem that could arise. :)

Last edited:

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
As Youtube continues to make changes to their rules and policies to ensure the wrong kind of content is not uploaded or stays up for long on the website to protect its viewers, especially children, it's up to the Youtube community to stay on top of these changes and share what we find to make sure content creators are aware of these changes that can either benefit or hurt them.

According to this document updated within the last 24 hours of writing this, Google/Youtube is updating their Violent or graphic content policies section this week to change how violence and gore in videogames will now be treated the same as other types of scripted content so long as the video is not specifically focusing on the violence and the gore itself. This means gaming videos are less likely to be age-restricted. Bare in mind Youtube can still age-restrict videogame videos with violence and gore based on restriction mentioned before.

View attachment 3753

Also, be aware this is a change in content policy and not a change to advertiser-friendly guidelines which is separate. In other words, your videos can still be deemed not advertiser-friendly even if it's not age-restricted as before.

This is good for gaming channels as it gives us more freedom in our content and we have less to worry about when it comes to Youtube policies. But be aware that there are more changes coming to Youtube in the coming months such as the COPPA issue, the adult vs kids rating system implemented by Youtube and much more so keep an eye out and stay informed.

We are not out of the woods yet, especially us gamers. As we all know while many make not make gaming videos specifically aimed at kids under 13 (based on the game content, the language and/or channel style), gaming is a hobby mostly aimed at children (like most Nintendo games) or can be extremely attractive to them thus Youtube will still look at gaming videos as potentially aimed at children.

Thanks for reading. Tell me what you think about these changes in the comments below.

Gave this a sticky. Great information on this subject, and I think the more we get on this subject from YouTube the better. YouTube and the FTC are working together, but it's good to see YouTube doing more to communicate.

U

User1111

This article was not based on the FTC and COPPA thing but on YT making changes on an existing policy to make it easier for gaming channels to create content will less of an issue.

No one is saying for you to play super violent games, I'm not sure where you're getting that argument. The FTC may not be an issue, especially that $42,000 fine that was mentioned many times before, but YT has yet to change their adult vs kids category feature so they can still cause problems for gaming channel who want to monetize and their content is not necessarily for kids but more of a mixed content type of video.

The idea is to stay informed so we can help each other and ensure we stay one step ahead of any potential problem that could arise. :)
I hate to bring this up but if you take a look at the FTC and YouTube documents I presented, while there is still an issue I'll admit. It's not as bad as you claim it is. As a moderator, I'd like you to show a little more maturity to members like me and not argue when I wasn't even trying to argue. I even said twice that I wasn't. All that I said aside from the links what the FTC/YouTube views are on content and evidence as to how gaming is actually not bad and is a general audience thing in itself, the rest was an opinion. I feel as if my opinions are being attacked when they don't need to be. I don't understand what your issue is with me but I have no beef with you. You mentioned COPPA in your first post and asked for comments on the changes... if you don't want me replying to anything you post anymore. That's fine. I just don't want any more childish arguing. (I'm sorry if you found that last statement as offensive. I wasn't saying you are childish. I was saying the actions you took just now were. Actions define a person yet they are not the person and can change.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm not going to add much into this topic, but

It's not as bad as you claim it is. As a moderator, I'd like you to show a little more maturity to members like me and not argue when I wasn't even trying to argue. I even said twice that I wasn't. All that I said aside from the links what the FTC/YouTube views are on content and evidence as to how gaming is actually not bad and is a general audience thing in itself, the rest was an opinion. I feel as if my opinions are being attacked when they don't need to be. I don't understand what your issue is with me but I have no beef with you. You mentioned COPPA in your first post and asked for comments on the changes... if you don't want me replying to anything you post anymore. That's fine. I just don't want any more of childish arguing.
You have to realize that when you first posted this, it might've been when Brave read your post. Since then, you've edited it, but before you edited it, you never wrote
I'm not trying to argue here. I'm merely stating facts.
Brave might've never seen your edits nor your links.

According to our forum rules, we find your behavior is inappropriate for healthy forum discussion. You've disrupted the current discussions by personally attacking Brave. Please remember that you wrote, "I'm not trying to argue here" afterward, yet in your latest post, you write it as if that's definitive.

If you ever are unsure, you can always read the rules here: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/4/.

Screenshot: https://prnt.sc/q5p82i

Status
Not open for further replies.