• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Advice Advice on Lighting Equipments

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
So I'm looking to go back to doing some recordings, but my light took a hit a couple months ago, and it doesn't work like it used to o_o

I'm currently on the lookout for new lights, and I was wondering if anybody's got recommendations? :)

I like the Key Light from Elgato. The only issue is that it's expensive and it doesn't come in a set so I'd have to buy it twice.

My budget is hopefully not as expensive as a Key Light (in a set, so about $300).

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
So I'm looking to go back to doing some recordings, but my light took a hit a couple months ago, and it doesn't work like it used to o_o

I'm currently on the lookout for new lights, and I was wondering if anybody's got recommendations? :)

I like the Key Light from Elgato. The only issue is that it's expensive and it doesn't come in a set so I'd have to buy it twice.

My budget is hopefully not as expensive as a Key Light (in a set, so about $300).

This is the light I use and recommend. It's so useful, powerful and comes with a lot of great gear. It's price isn't bad, and I LOVE the quality of light it produces:

Aputure Amaran HR672S Led Video Light Panel High.

You can also use a reflector to balance the light off you. I think it's a quality light with a good remote, and GREAT accessories. Overall amazing light!

• Wow
Reactions: Ikerot

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Home Depot, or Lowe's. You can make all kinds of lighting. A quick run to the Wal-Mart fabric section, and you can make all kinds of sheets for diffusion and everything.

Reactions: Ikerot

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Home Depot, or Lowe's. You can make all kinds of lighting. A quick run to the Wal-Mart fabric section, and you can make all kinds of sheets for diffusion and everything.

Love that idea, only issue is if you need to take it on the go. Other than that, have used things like this a lot of times on film sets :)

Reactions: Damon

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread too because I'm looking to upgrade. Currently using a tall floor lamp, and a desk lamp.

Ironically for my first 2-3 years, I was using the swan neck lamp to not only light my videos, but to hang my webcam on as well XD

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread too because I'm looking to upgrade. Currently using a tall floor lamp, and a desk lamp.

Ironically for my first 2-3 years, I was using the swan neck lamp to not only light my videos, but to hang my webcam on as well XD
I actually bought this one based on Andrew's recommendation :)

They're VERY bright xD but I like them. I started using them for my new vids, although my latest vid was when I only had one of the lights :p

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Also before you spend a ton of cash on lighting. Learn the basics of a Rembrandt lighting scheme. Buying good lights is like buying a good camera: It doesn't do any good unless you know how to shoot. It isn't about the gear, it's about the vision you have in your head. Once you know how to use the light to tell your story, then you'l know what lighting you need, at least in principle.

For me it's natural lighting, even indoors. Then the artificial lighting from the hardware store I use has a day light color temperature. I also have the window light and the artificial set in a way that give me a nice Rembrandt light. Yes, Rembrandt like the painter.

In other words tell your story, then pick the lighting that best helps tells that story. At that point even available lighting become your ally not your enemy.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I actually bought this one based on Andrew's recommendation :)

They're VERY bright xD but I like them. I started using them for my new vids, although my latest vid was when I only had one of the lights :p

I'm happy to hear! they are very versatile lights!

Also before you spend a ton of cash on lighting. Learn the basics of a Rembrandt lighting scheme. Buying good lights is like buying a good camera: It doesn't do any good unless you know how to shoot. It isn't about the gear, it's about the vision you have in your head. Once you know how to use the light to tell your story, then you'l know what lighting you need, at least in principle.

For me it's natural lighting, even indoors. Then the artificial lighting from the hardware store I use has a day light color temperature. I also have the window light and the artificial set in a way that give me a nice Rembrandt light. Yes, Rembrandt like the painter.

In other words tell your story, then pick the lighting that best helps tells that story. At that point even available lighting become your ally not your enemy.

Everything Damon mentioned is possible with those lights Ike, the only limitation, is you! :D (They also can be battery powered, which means if you need to move them and be powered on, that's an option! )

Reactions: Damon