YouTube News YouTube channel owners: Is your content directed to children?

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Straight from the horse's mouth. They clear up several things here: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2019/11/youtube-channel-owners-your-content-directed-children

To summarize: "The Rule sets out additional factors the FTC will consider in determining whether your content is child-directed:
  • the subject matter,
  • visual content,
  • the use of animated characters or child-oriented activities and incentives,
  • the kind of music or other audio content,
  • the age of models,
  • the presence of child celebrities or celebrities who appeal to children,
  • language or other characteristics of the site,
  • whether advertising that promotes or appears on the site is directed to children, and
  • competent and reliable empirical evidence about the age of the audience.
Also from the article:
  1. To be clear, your content isn’t considered “directed to children” just because some children may see it.
  2. Second, just because your video has bright colors or animated characters doesn’t mean you’re automatically covered by COPPA. [i.e. not considered directed to children]
  3. Third, the complaint in the YouTube case offers some examples of channels the FTC considered to be directed to children. For example, many content creators explicitly stated in the “About” section of their YouTube channel that their intended audience was children under 13. [Thus the KAPPEM Ratings System I formulated with @Andrew.]
  4. Finally, if you’ve applied the factors listed in the COPPA Rule and still wonder if your content is “directed to children,” it might help to consider how others view your content and content similar to yours.

Last edited:
U

User1111

That's interesting news. Since that's the FTC's stance why is YouTube marking videos that the content creator did not intend as directed towards kids as "made for kids" despite the fact they are following what the FTC has now indicated what they expect a kids' video to be? It's like YouTube doesn't want mixed audience content or kids content (the latter for obvious reasons). If that's the case what type of content do they on their platform?

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Exactly, yeah, YouTube is the main problem. It's totally legal to track and have kid content, they just have to have the proper consent forms and such. But YouTube has chosen the route of essentially banning kid-directed content. YouTube really messed this us big time. I don't think YouTube knows what it wants. They alienated virtually every content type over the past several years.

All those PhDs they've hired, and they cant do consent forms? YouTube has shot itself in the face once again. It is incompetence in the worst way. The FTC simply wants compliance: verifiable consent forms if you plan to market to kids. That's all they ever wanted. YouTube can and should have done this from day one. It would have been super easy. They already have to do 1099-MISC tax forms for the IRS. Parental consent is exactly the same thing.

They could have easily made everyone fill out a parental consent form and fax or e-mail it in just like the 1099-MISC form. Made it so that you either fill out the form or have your channel shut down by 1 January 2020.

YouTube failed big time. It's gross incompetence. This is why I'm putting much of my content on LBRY.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Damon

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, take the plunge. It's still a great platform despite their mistakes. If you have a chance, just read a book on documentary film making. They cover all the stuff keeps disrupting YouTube. Just take it slowly, and keep learning.