YouTube Opinion What YOUTUBE's Not Telling You About COPPA

Just Lennart

New User
TubeBuddy User
Ive seen this. And just from wathcing this I got all these crazy ideas, most of them conspiracy. ;)

But yes, why does youtube keep this from us? It makes absolutly no sense.

Just Lennart

New User
TubeBuddy User
Yeah, it should be. Remember its a law from way back when.
The real question should be, Will youtube find a mixed audience feature.

U

User1111

They have, guys check what the FTC released on the 22nd: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2019/11/youtube-channel-owners-your-content-directed-children and also what YouTube themselves say here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9528076?hl=en both of those show an agreement. The "Not for Kids" option is the general audience option. Plus the FTC revealed the type of channels that they are primarily looking at is either literally saying they are for kids under 13 in their about page or are making content for preschool, toddler, early childhood education age. Also, the updated article YouTube released even omits machine learning to detect kids' content so I doubt they are trying that anymore either. So if your content is NOT geared towards an audience of kids (under 13) you are covered as a general audience. Is this fair for the kid channels that actually target kids? Not really but by US Federal law, they shouldn't have been on YouTube in the first place due to COPPA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just Lennart

New User
TubeBuddy User
This is absolutly not fair. I have a kid, 14 years old now.
But, he wouldnt be caugt Dead, watching youtube Kids at The age of 10. He said it is for babies.
He enjoy a lot of different content.
Point is, there is a HUUUUUUUUUGE Grey area for a kid between 12 and 13. They watch the exact same stuff.
So. If to believe and to understand what is appealing to Kids under age of 13. And if we have 12 year olds taken in concern,
Then Everything on youtube, is, by definition targeted towards Kids.
Cause Kids today have a much much broader view of the world, then the FTC could possible imagine.

And yes, there are stuff on Youtube, Kids just should t watch. But watch it Anyways. And they Will always find a way to watch youtube.

So I dont understand why youtube dosent achknowledge this medium audience.

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Honestly, it is okay to have children's content as far as the FTC is concerned. They just want you to have verifiable parental consent forms if you plan to have a commercial YouTube channel. YouTube has chosen not to go that route; they chose ban all children's content on YouTube, essentially.

See the FTC doesn't care how you comply with COPPA, just as long as you do one way or the other. So yeah YouTube has confused the issue greatly. Fortunately the FTC is helping us out as @mcnakahr mentioned. That article is golden.