• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

TubeBuddy Suggestion COPPA compliance feature - can TubeBuddy FLAG this?

FWB

If a video is getting views by children under 18 can TubeBuddy flag it? Currently we have no way to sort videos by "age viewing them" in YouTube analitics. This could help us be compliant to COPPA and be a huge boon to TubeBuddy.

OP
OP
FWB

FWB

Yep that video would net you a $40,000 fine if not either deleted or flagged as "made for kids".

I have a 0.1% 13 or under viewership on my channel. I need to find what videos are drawing in kids to delete them before I get fined. YouTube does not provide the tools to see which video is pulling them in. Children are attracted to everything on YouTube so all I can do is go by metrics. A TubeBuddy feature could save us creators thousands in fines!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
If a video is getting views by children under 18 can TubeBuddy flag it? Currently we have no way to sort videos by "age viewing them" in YouTube analitics. This could help us be compliant to COPPA and be a huge boon to TubeBuddy.

The problem with that is we would have to collect data on children under the age of 13. WHICH is a problem. WE have data on 13 - 17 but by law they are allowed to be on YT atm.

OP
OP
FWB

FWB

The problem with that is we would have to collect data on children under the age of 13. WHICH is a problem. WE have data on 13 - 17 but by law they are allowed to be on YT atm.

So you can't even show the numbers of anyone under 13 watching a channel? YouTube analytics already shows that I have a video somewhere attracting them. I just don't know what video. The data is already there.

Reactions: Damon

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
So you can't even show the numbers of anyone under 13 watching a channel? YouTube analytics already shows that I have a video somewhere attracting them. I just don't know what video. The data is already there.

YouTube analytics only tracks 13 - 17 not under 13? We can show that, but not under 13.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey, Bill, it's been a while Here What I'm doing: You may not know but we here have developed a sort of rating system to help identify your main target audience and communicate it well with whomever:

The KAPPEM System
  • K for kids
  • A for all audiences
  • PS parental supervision (pre-teens)
  • PS+ parental supervision plus (pre-teens and early teens)
  • EX for extreme/realistic danger (This way wresting channels can earn revenue again)
  • M for mature
I'm some conspicuous way showing who my intended audience is: I basically rate my video as EX because it portray realistic danger (fishing below the dam or fishing in general is inherently dangerous. The I state that my video are intended for people 18+ years of age viewer discretion is advised.

Of course this is not legal advice, but for my channel from the beginning wanted nothing to do with children's "directed" content of any kind.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
The more interesting thing is well, I believe most outdoors channels are okay unless there are kids showing up in the content, you're review kids oriented fishing tackle, your thumbnails show kids or kids oriented stuff. I've said many times that my whole goal was to make my fishing adventures look like "A River Runs Through It" or most any "National Geographic" special. That alone is not intended for kids.

But the moment you go to Wal-Mart and buy a Spiderman fishing rod or a Barbie poles, then it's for kids. Those particular video will have to be marked as made for kids or whatever. I mean even using Kool-aid in your carp recipe could be looked upon and made for kids.

Andrew is correct, however. The only ages that show up are 13-17. Nothing below 13, it isn't even a option to view in the audience section of Analytics.

In fact I don't even have any 13-17 viewers which to me suggests that I am in fact hitting my target audience people from the ages of 25 -55.