YouTube Tips Does live broadcasting bring improved exposure?

Zanet

New User
TubeBuddy Legend
i was just reading on here about live streaming and enjoyed one from Andrew last week. I've never done a live stream before.
I've debated with the idea of making a live stream for my reviewing a website critique playlist.
so I record live reaction to the website.

my question that hopefully nothing of you may be able to guide me on...when I setup a live broadcast is it only my 81 subs that get notification?
or is it likely YouTube will promote it to many more during its live broadcast so I get additional exposure to many more potential subscribers

KalaViv

New User
I don't knwo answer to that. I notice my live views are much more after though, unless you schedule it, it surprises folks and so they cant' stop what they are doing. I think the main reason to do them occasionally (at set time) is to build more closeness with followers, not to bring new subs on. So I've heard and seems to be case.

Stanley Orchard

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Livestreams are searchable... both while streaming and afterwards. So you can bring in a straggling viewer here or there, but it doesnt really pull big traffic.

The problem you will face is that after your stream you need to make the video unlisted. Otherwise it shows up as a video on your channel with poor performance (because nobody goes back to rewatch old livestreams) and that can affect the performance of your other videos.

OP
OP
Zanet

Zanet

New User
TubeBuddy Legend
Thanks Stanley
Thats an interesting thought - i hadn't considered that it could bring averages down if it performs badly - without a lot of subscribers i would imagine my critique videos wouldnt perform well - so i think i need to re-address this when i have a stronger subscription following

OP
OP
Zanet

Zanet

New User
TubeBuddy Legend
I don't knwo answer to that. I notice my live views are much more after though, unless you schedule it, it surprises folks and so they cant' stop what they are doing. I think the main reason to do them occasionally (at set time) is to build more closeness with followers, not to bring new subs on. So I've heard and seems to be case.
Thanks Kala thats a good point too

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Livestreams are searchable... both while streaming and afterwards. So you can bring in a straggling viewer here or there, but it doesnt really pull big traffic.

The problem you will face is that after your stream you need to make the video unlisted. Otherwise it shows up as a video on your channel with poor performance (because nobody goes back to rewatch old livestreams) and that can affect the performance of your other videos.
This is sad but true. Another thing about live streams is that while they work well to bring an audience together, some that only want your content will unsubscribe. It also can cause your CTR to be lower. YT considers Lives and normal vids the same thing, which they aren't. However, because of that there are some major downsides. Despite all that, I still do them :)