YouTube Opinion Time for a YouTube Rating System?

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Given all that is happening over the COPPA regulations and YouTube, @Andrew proposed the idea of a rating system similar to what TV, movie and video games used to help consumers and governing authorities determine age appropriate guidelines for such types of content.

I posted this over on the comments of the COPPA video:

A rating system would fix all this. @Andrew over at TubeBuddy put for the idea of a ratings system like in the movies, TV and games. Each channel as well as each video should have an age appropriate rating like:

• K for kids
  • A for all audiences
  • PS parental supervision (pre-teens)
  • PS+ parental supervision plus (pre-teens and early teens)
  • EX for extreme/realistic danger (This way wresting channels can earn revenue again)
  • M for mature
The KAPPEM System

This way each channel selects a rating for their overall channel, and in addition rate each video. This way it makes it easier for you behind the scenes at YouTube. For use as creators for businesses wanting to advertise and for governing authorities to understand. Everyone would be on the same page. This way you don't have to keep running through these apocalypses every year hurting everyone. People simply select the appropriate rating both for their overall channel and the individual video, and everyone would be on the same page. Just one glance and they can see if it's appropriate for the or not, no matter what side the issue they're on.

If you haven't seen or don't know what's going on, What the latest update video from YouTube Creators here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JzXiSkoFKw&t=

What do you think of a rating system? What do you think should or should not be included?

Last edited:
U

User1111

I think that's a great idea, bro. I was toying with a similar idea I wanted to do with my future videos, well all of them I don't have many so it wouldn't be hard to do. The idea was to attach a caution screen for 3-8 seconds indicating the rating, what the rating is for, and down at the bottom a disclaimer that I, myself, do not collect any personal information yet a third party, Google, may if the viewer is of legal age set by the FTC's Child Online Privacy Protection Act.
Okay back on topic: Your idea seems pretty solid, it would take some time for people to adjust to it since the MPAA rating and TV rating thing is more familiar to most. I love it though. You might possibly tweet it to @TeamYouTube or, since the idea details are so long, send it as feedback? Heck maybe even make a petition for it, if enough people sign it may happen. I'd like to see this sort of system popup even before an ad starts or, if not monetized before the video making sure the viewer sees it. That would also make it very clear what is and is not "made for kids."

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Given all that is happening over the COPPA regulations and YouTube, @Andrew proposed the idea of a rating system similar to what TV, movie and video games used to help consumers and governing authorities determine age appropriate guidelines for such types of content.

I posted this over on the comments of the COPPA video:

A rating system would fix all this. @Andrew over at TubeBuddy put for the idea of a ratings system like in the movies, TV and games. Each channel as well as each video should have an age appropriate rating like:

• K for kids
  • A for all audiences
  • PS parental supervision (pre-teens)
  • PS+ parental supervision plus (pre-teens and early teens)
  • EX for extreme/realistic danger (This way wresting channels can earn revenue again)
  • M for mature
The KAPPEM System

This way each channel selects a rating for their overall channel, and in addition rate each video. This way it makes it easier for you behind the scenes at YouTube. For use as creators for businesses wanting to advertise and for governing authorities to understand. Everyone would be on the same page. This way you don't have to keep running through these apocalypses every year hurting everyone. People simply select the appropriate rating both for their overall channel and the individual video, and everyone would be on the same page. Just one glance and they can see if it's appropriate for the or not, no matter what side the issue they're on.

If you haven't seen or don't know what's going on, What the latest update video from YouTube Creators here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JzXiSkoFKw&t=

What do you think of a rating system? What do you think should or should not be included?
I'm for it!

I am a bit biased (Sorry no sorry) I think having one public for creators to understand helps both parties, and stops some of the things the FTC has problems with. The only thing is it might be too late, but I'll fight to get this in front of people that could make this happen.

GrumpaOriginal

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I agree this is awesome. Youtube can even make a quick intro slide for each rating that they require before each video a few seconds in length. This video is Rated K for Kid-Friendly, just like there is on TV...this show is for mature audiences, etc, etc. Then when doing your video you select what rating you are giving it, and if their vulgar language, swearing, adult content etc. Like buttons, you can click. then on the advertising side they can say we want to only show our ads on Mature content or kid content and so on. No surprises on either side.