Need Advice Should I change my current channel avatar and channel art to avoid appearing "made for kids?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

User1111

I'd like to know if I should change my channel avatar and channel art to something that isn't the current look. Right now my channel avatar is a Computer-Assisted hand drawing of my own face, with the assistance of a photo, in a Manga style:

And the channel art is a minimalist horizontal gradient of blues, the same colors as the background of my avatar, with the Channel title in the center. The first part of the title is literally the outline of my head plus my hat with the "M" formed by my eyebrows. Underneath the channel title, is both my YouTube channel name and Twitter handle.
Is this considered "cartoony?" I was going for a minimalistic colorized Manga theme:
Channel Art Template.png

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'd like to know if I should change my channel avatar and channel art to something that isn't the current look. Right now my channel avatar is a Computer-Assisted hand drawing of my own face in a Manga style:
View attachment 3692
And the channel art is a minimalist horizontal gradient of blues, the same colors as the background of my avatar, with the Channel title in the center. The first part of the title is literally the outline of my head plus my hat with the "M" formed by my eyebrows. Underneath the channel title, is both my YouTube channel name and Twitter handle.
Is this considered "cartoony?" I was going for a minimalistic colorized Manga theme:
View attachment 3693
Was your avatar intended to be a kids icon/ character? If no, then I'd say you're fine.

OP
OP
U

User1111

No, it wasn't, my intention was to show an attempt to set myself apart. I realize a lot of new gaming channels like using a logo that doesn't include their faces. I'm trying to humanize my brand a little, rather than just be a static brand.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
No, it wasn't, my intention was to show an attempt to set myself apart. I realize a lot of new gaming channels like using a logo that doesn't include their faces. I'm trying to humanize my brand a little, rather than just be a static brand.
Then if it wasn't your intention. You're fine. Family guy is a "Cartoon" and is clearly not for kids. As long as your intention with it was never meant for kids, you should be fine :)

OP
OP
U

User1111

Mistaken post... please delete this.

Last edited by a moderator:

MM Scale Models

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Then if it wasn't your intention. You're fine. Family guy is a "Cartoon" and is clearly not for kids. As long as your intention with it was never meant for kids, you should be fine :)
I am not sure that "intent" is all YouTube and government are going to care about because that will make it easy to game the system.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
@MM Scale Models That's my concern exactly. Seeing how every government throughout history has overstepped their bounds, leads me to think exactly what you mention here. @mcnakahr concerns are totally legit.

Why do you think they want to expand the definition to videos that may appeal to kids? It's because they know the current wording won't accomplish what they want. People will in fact game the system. So, they put forth this thing about changing the wording and all a sudden you have no say whether your content is for kids or not. If they think it's for kids despite what you say, you get a $42,000 fine.

All this assumes they go forward with the wording change. We all need to speak up on this. Go to the FTC's Web site and voice your concern. I do believe they want to do the right thing, but they don't seem to have any understanding of how the internet and social media works.

I've said for years they need to make YouTube only for ages 18 and above. That'd cut out. If YouTube had done this, we wouldn't be in this position. Anytime the government steps in, it is going to be a big, heavy axe blow to the chest. The government is big and heavy like Godzilla walking down the street for a cup of coffee. He just decimates everything in sight.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
@MM Scale Models That's my concern exactly. Seeing how every government throughout history has overstepped their bounds, leads me to think exactly what you mention here. @mcnakahr concerns are totally legit.

Why do you think they want to expand the definition to videos that may appeal to kids? It's because they know the current wording won't accomplish what they want. People will in fact game the system. So, they put forth this thing about changing the wording and all a sudden you have no say whether your content is for kids or not. If they think it's for kids despite what you say, you get a $42,000 fine.

All this assumes they go forward with the wording change. We all need to speak up on this. Go to the FTC's Web site and voice your concern. I do believe they want to do the right thing, but they don't seem to have any understanding of how the internet and social media works.

I've said for years they need to make YouTube only for ages 18 and above. That'd cut out. If YouTube had done this, we wouldn't be in this position. Anytime the government steps in, it is going to be a big, heavy axe blow to the chest. The government is big and heavy like Godzilla walking down the street for a cup of coffee. He just decimates everything in sight.
Currently though it's for 13+ it requires you to be to sign up. I think it's a combination of things, but we need to keep on top of our stuff, and make sure we are keeping up with that promise for content. I think YT needs a system similar to the ESRB For gaming or Movie rating,s so advertisers can then EASILY select which rating they want to advertise on similar to TV and ESRB ratings. It works, and it's needed to avoid more with the FTC IMO.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Understood. I like that idea for a rating system. That would fix a lot of things! How do we get YouTube to implement such a system or at least get the idea to them? It looks like they need as much help as they can get.

SBG GAMING

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
YouTube has a kids app and I also believe it is 95% the parents responsibility what there children do online PewDiePie actually made a video about this how few channels got deleted that does animations and so on but my concern is , the Coppa has the right to go thru every channel and is literally slowed to take stuff down if it is marked wrong I'm actually very consern for all creators and worried

Status
Not open for further replies.