YouTube Question Question about using TAGS on my videos......

sjs94704

New User
I record my own music videos. I am just getting started and am trying to learn as much as I can about channel and video SEO as I can.

My first song on my channel is 'Wind Beneath My Wings' by Bette Midler. Here is a list of TAGS I have at the moment.

My question is, these were suggested by a free website SEO booster site. Do you think these are too may TAGS, or maybe not specific enough...
Whatever you think would be appreciated:

Wind Beneath My Wings,
wind beneath my wings lyrics,w
ind beneath my wings song,w
ind beneath my wings karaoke,
Wind Beneath My Wings Steven Houghton,
wind beneath my wings cover,
wind beneath my wings steven houghton karaoke,
steven houghton wind beneath my wings karaoke,
Steven houghton wind beneath my wings,
steven Houghton wind beneath my wings lyrics,
Bayside Studios,Bayside,
Studios,
wind,
beneath,
wings,
karaoke,
steven,
Houghton,
instrumental,
music,
sing,
singing

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I record my own music videos. I am just getting started and am trying to learn as much as I can about channel and video SEO as I can.

My first song on my channel is 'Wind Beneath My Wings' by Bette Midler. Here is a list of TAGS I have at the moment.

My question is, these were suggested by a free website SEO booster site. Do you think these are too may TAGS, or maybe not specific enough...
Whatever you think would be appreciated:

Wind Beneath My Wings,
wind beneath my wings lyrics,w
ind beneath my wings song,w
ind beneath my wings karaoke,
Wind Beneath My Wings Steven Houghton,
wind beneath my wings cover,
wind beneath my wings steven houghton karaoke,
steven houghton wind beneath my wings karaoke,
Steven houghton wind beneath my wings,
steven Houghton wind beneath my wings lyrics,
Bayside Studios,Bayside,
Studios,
wind,
beneath,
wings,
karaoke,
steven,
Houghton,
instrumental,
music,
sing,
singing
One word tags don't do well on YouTube so I would avoid them. Other than that they seem solid. Again this is a TubeBuddy website, so I'd check your specific score on TB even the free version is very usable.

Also moved to YT discussion. Because you linked your channel I also gave you a free trial on me!

OP
OP
sjs94704

sjs94704

New User
You said that tags don't work on YT very well. However, there are SEO videos by a lot of people who say to use them as well as channel tags.
Please explain your theory?

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
One word tags don't do well on YouTube
You said that tags don't work on YT very well. However, there are SEO videos by a lot of people who say to use them as well as channel tags.
Please explain your theory?
First I said one word tags don't work very well. The reason is tags are other ways people can search for your content. if I typed in "steve" into search how long would it take for YOUR videos/ content to show up? probably MILLIONS of videos to scroll through, so focusing on long tail descriptive keywords is the way to go.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, just watch the videos Andrew has on SEO. We use what are called longtail keywords or keywords phrases.
Also you can't grab a bunch of keywords from another Web site, throw them up here and expect us to give you a ya or na.

The best approach is to start typing in keywords into the TB keyword explorer, and drill down to find something people are typing in and that you can rank for. It takes time to learn to do this. It's another skill that has to be developed just like learning to project you voice.

OP
OP
sjs94704

sjs94704

New User
Hey, Andrew, Got a question for you. You mentioned previously that one word tags don't work well on YouTube and you explained why and I understand your point of view.

In no way am I intending to disagree with you or say your wrong, but, I did find the following video and at about 4:55 - 5:00 into the video he expresses HIS opinion about one word tags and I'm simply interested in what you think about what he has to say?

YouTube Tags & YouTube Description Tips for Views by Brian G. Johnson

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I know you were asking Andrew, but the answer is this: Try them both for yourself and see what the data tells you over time. That's the only real answer. Do what the data says. There's a reason we're advocating longtail keywords; that's what the data for each of us has shown over millions of views, and hundreds of thousands of watch hours.

For most of us longtails are where we get your foot in the door. At this point in space/time, I'm not going to rank for a single keyword like fishing. There no way I can cut through that. The internet is not longer empty. It full, and you have to drill down. Type in fishing and you won't see a singe one of my videos. But type in multi species fly fishing and you will see several of my videos. So I can sit here and talk all day long about the ineffectiveness of single word tags or rely on the data. The data pays my rent. Opinions don't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sjs94704

sjs94704

New User
OK.... Thanks much .... I get what your saying and understand what you mean. I was just curious and not trying to go against anything you guys have been saying at all.......